Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

The Minis I've Never Bought - 2014 Mini Cooper Hardtop Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited August 2015 in MINI
imageThe Minis I've Never Bought - 2014 Mini Cooper Hardtop Long-Term Road Test

I've thought about buying a Mini Cooper so many times, and now I've built a dream Mini yet again and it comes in well under $30K.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    kirkhilles1kirkhilles1 Member Posts: 863
    edited August 2015
    I prefer the simplicity and reliability of a Miata (as well as lower maintenance and repair costs), but I will say that the price for these "dream" versions is pretty reasonable, at least compared with the $33k version. Maybe a feasible car you could lease and enjoy your daily commute and not have to worry about BMW costs.
  • Options
    misterfusionmisterfusion Member Posts: 471
    This is actually a really good configuration. Mine would basically be this, plus $1250 for the automatic. (Shifting hurts my knee, and I'm not a traditionalist anyway.)
  • Options
    darexdarex Member Posts: 187
    Dare I mention that the 2016 MINI Clubman might be ideal for your needs? ;-)

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/hatchbacks/1506_2016_mini_clubman_first_look/
  • Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    edited August 2015
    Being a MINI owner, I'd equip it with every extended warranty I could buy. Fun car, I love it, but reliability is not a MINI strong suit. Check out the JD Power and Consumer Report ratings. Not so good. A fight with Fiat for the basement segment. You're smart to avoid the automatic and all the extra goo-gahs. Keep it simple and improve your odds. I think your choices and options are spot on.
  • Options
    sxty8stangsxty8stang Member Posts: 58
    I would have to order a Cooper S Hardtop, I think.
    - Blazin' Red Color with Black Roof/Mirrors
    - Cold Weather Package $750
    - Media Package w/ the Heads Up Display added $750
    - Sport Package $1,500
    - Bike Rack Prep $250
    - Storage Package $250
    - Union Jack Side Scuttles $156
    - Union Jack Roof Graphic $170
    - Union Jack Door Sills ($215) (I may be overdoing it with the Union Jack)
    - Luggage Compartment Tray + Mat ($265)
    - Headrest Coat Hanger $109
    - TOTAL MSRP of $30,365
  • Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Oh yeah, I forgot about the Cold Weather Package, which my car has. That's a good one to get--I think it includes heated seats and mirrors and headlight washers.
  • Options
    7driver7driver Member Posts: 145
    Pretty close to yours. I'd spring for an S model, just because. For sure, I'd delete the adaptive cornering headlights (don't do much hard cornering at night), wheels (S models already have 17's and nobody can see the wheel design when the car is in motion anyway) and mats (wouldn't drive it much to snow/mud). If the media package offered Apple CarPlay and Android Auto then I might spend on it, but otherwise probably not.
  • Options
    ericheseriches Member Posts: 80
    darex said:

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/hatchbacks/1506_2016_mini_clubman_first_look/

It might. ;) I'm just really hooked on the original 2-door body style.
  • Options
    darexdarex Member Posts: 187
    eriches said:

darex said:

It might. ;) I'm just really hooked on the original 2-door body style.
    The dashboard is different than my F56 MINI's, the iDrive controller is repositioned, it has electric seats with memory and an e-Brake. Nice upgrades!

• Options
    dgcamerodgcamero Member Posts: 148
    7driver said:

Pretty close to yours. I'd spring for an S model, just because. For sure, I'd delete the adaptive cornering headlights (don't do much hard cornering at night), wheels (S models already have 17's and nobody can see the wheel design when the car is in motion anyway) and mats (wouldn't drive it much to snow/mud). If the media package offered Apple CarPlay and Android Auto then I might spend on it, but otherwise probably not.

It's not so much about hard cornering with swiveling headlights, they just generally improve visibility. Much easier to avoid the rim bending potholes with them! They pay for themselves.