Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

1966 Chevrolet Corvette: Performance Tested — The Old Girl Gets to the Driver's Heart

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited August 2015 in Chevrolet

This is a moment months is the making. We finally get to see how our 1966 Chevrolet Corvette performs at the test track, in all its bias-ply glory. Josh Jacquot raced it down the drag strip, drifted around the skid pad and hurried it through the slalom.

Read the full story here

Comments

• drunkenpandadrunkenpanda Member Posts: 1
    I think the weight on the Camry is wrong...4600 pounds is a lot, maybe 3600
  • cameronrcameronr Member Posts: 38

I think the weight on the Camry is wrong...4600 pounds is a lot, maybe 3600

I mistakenly quoted the GVWR. The correct weight is 3,448. A correction is incoming. Thanks!
    EDMUNDS NEWS AND REVIEWS EDITOR
  • metalmaniametalmania Member Posts: 167
    I'm kind of impressed that 50 years later, with all the "stuff" that comes in a modern Corvette, it's still less than 200 pounds heavier than the '66. And the '66 is still a great looking car. Is it possible to mod it to take modern tires?
  • texasestexases Member Posts: 10,704
    Corvettes are about the best cars for minimizing weight gain. Not much else compares. For example the 911 went from about 2500 to 3100 lbs in the same period 
  • burger2002burger2002 Member Posts: 3
    Put some modern rubber and then do these same tests. I am genuinely interested in how much tire technology itself has improved overall car performance.
  • dm7279dm7279 Member Posts: 63

Put some modern rubber and then do these same tests. I am genuinely interested in how much tire technology itself has improved overall car performance.

Agree! I bet modern rubber would knock off 0.5 second on the 0-60 and bring the handling numbers at least in line with the Camry. It's amazing how far we've come.
  • ebeaudoinebeaudoin Member Posts: 509

I agree with this sentiment. I'd also really like to see this car on the dyno. Gross vs. net horsepower is quite a difference.