Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2010 Chevy Equinox major engine problems. How to get Chevy to pay for a new engine?

nomorechevy2nomorechevy2 Member Posts: 4
edited August 2015 in Chevrolet
Ive had nothing but problems with my chevy equinox. I've had 3 timing belts/water pumps, 2 timing chains prior to my warranty being expired. Now I have excessive oil consumption which they are going to charge me $2900 to repair despite me taking my car into the shop to have this looked at twice in less than a year. They've never been able to fix the actual problems of why I'm going through so many belts and chains. They know its a bad engine but I can't seem to get them to give me a new one. My car has been at the chevy dealership for 4 days. I don't see the point in dropping so much money into a car that has a bad engine when I know I will have to replace yet another belt or chain in a few months. I have 3 different case numbers with corporate about each issue. Now I'm afraid that this will effect my trade in value. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Best Answer

Answers

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited August 2015
    Maybe the suggestions in The Secret Warranty will help.

It would also help if you were the original owner - it looks like you have complained of various engine issues during the warranty period so that should help your case.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    What's the mileage on this vehicle?

Ive had nothing but problems with my chevy equinox. I've had 3 timing belts/water pumps, 2 timing chains prior to my warranty being expired. Now I have excessive oil consumption which they are going to charge me $2900 to repair despite me taking my car into the shop to have this looked at twice in less than a year. They've never been able to fix the actual problems of why I'm going through so many belts and chains. They know its a bad engine but I can't seem to get them to give me a new one. My car has been at the chevy dealership for 4 days. I don't see the point in dropping so much money into a car that has a bad engine when I know I will have to replace yet another belt or chain in a few months. I have 3 different case numbers with corporate about each issue. Now I'm afraid that this will effect my trade in value. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

• nomorechevy2nomorechevy2 Member Posts: 4
    I'm the original owner. My car now has 123,000 miles. But when I first reported the problems I starts at less than 60,000. And the special coverage I started at 110,000. 
    Service department thought this was a self inflicted problem. But now has been updated. Now I'm waiting to see what they now say. They never did the oil test, which I brought to their attention back in December and again in March. But my main complaint is that no one has ever fixed the main issue of why I'm going through so many belts, pumps, chains and now Pistons. I hate to spend out of pocket money on a bad engine
  • runoxrunox Member Posts: 156
    My son has 2011 GMC Terrain with the same 4cyl engine. He just received a letter from GMC extending his engine warranty to 120,000 and 7.5 years. I have a 2010 with same 4 cyl but no word out of Chevy.
    I actually had a brand new one placed by GM. Only had to pay $750 out of pocket for the new one with a 3 year or 100,000 miles. I appreciate you posting! My neighbor is having the same issues with her 2011 GM car. 
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Good to hear!
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,132

I actually had a brand new one placed by GM. Only had to pay $750 out of pocket for the new one with a 3 year or 100,000 miles. I appreciate you posting! My neighbor is having the same issues with her 2011 GM car. 

What kind of car does your neighbor have? That engine was only
    used on 2.

Are you going to change your log in name from Nomorechevy?\
    now that GM has stepped up?

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,