Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Buick Enclave Audio Problems

achomesachomes Member Posts: 5
edited November 2018 in Buick
I have a 2011 Enclave purchased in Aug, 2010. The audio features have stopped working numerous times. Nothing works, no onstar, no blue tooth, no radio, not even the noise for the turn signals. Had it in for service 4 times and they said they have a program issue. Just today I had a battery saving message and the heated and cooled seats not working. Anyone else having a problem. GM says Im the only one.

Comments

• gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    Hello Achomes,
    I apologize that you are experiencing a concern with your vehicle. Do you currently have a case with GM? If so what is the case number? Thank you,
    Mariah GM Customer Service
  • achomesachomes Member Posts: 5
    Thanks for your concern, my case # 71 871 090 179. As of today my dealer has said GM has given the permission to replace the radio. The radio should be installed tomorrow, tuesday the 21st. Hopefully this corrects the problem. One more concern is your case #'s. Wouldn't it be so much easier and wiser to use someone's phone number as the case number. That number is unique and so much easier to keep track of for you customer. Just food for thought! Hope the new radio solves the problem! Regards
    Hello Achomes,
    Keep me posted on how the repairs go. I think they use this system because people’s numbers do change often. But, I will pass that suggestion along for you. Thank you,
    Mariah GM Customer Service
    The dealer changed out my radio on tuesday, it seems to be ok. I did notice that the radio seems to have some different features working that may have not been working before. Thanks to the dealer Basil in Fredonia, NY and to GM, hope it works! Their service rep, Craig Carpenter is a professional and took charge of my problem.
    Hello Achomes,
    I am glad it did work out well for you. If anything arises in the future we are always here to help. Have a wonderful day!
    -Mariah GM Customer Service
  • cwilcox12cwilcox12 Member Posts: 1
    I have the same exact problem on my 2009 Buick Enclave. It appears that I will need to contact my buick dealership as well!
    after 3 times the replaced the radio and it has been fine for 2 months
    cwilcox12,
    Please keep me updated on your progress.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • lptuckerlptucker Member Posts: 3
    The left front speaker cuts out intermittenly.This speaker also controls voice command for nav. Dealer replaced speaker. Worked ok until I went over a couple of bumps and then cut out again. Something must be loose in system. Any suggestions
    lptucker,

I would encourage you take the vehicle back to the dealership that fixed the issue. Please keep us posted when the issue has been taken care of.

Thank you,
    Caron, GM Customer Service
  • al1000al1000 Member Posts: 1
    I have just been informed by my dealer that my radio blew up and needs to be replaced on my 2008 Enclave. No radio, onstar or phone is working. Have never had to replace a radio before on any vehicle that I have ever owned. Has anyone else had this type of problem with teh Enclave?
    al1000,

I apologize for the issue you have experienced with your vehicle. Please keep us posted when the issue has been taken care of.

Thank you,
    Caron, GM Customer Service
  • tom320tom320 Member Posts: 7
    I have had the same problem and thought I was crazy. My 1993 Colt Vista held up better than the Enclave. My radio works when it wants to. O recently took it in for AC issues and the radio is working fine. My car is out of warranty and I never got it replaced. I am really at my ends over all this because all the issues I have and had seemed to be the same ad everyone else's. Im filing a complaint immediately. I hope they make better cars now because my kids will never become a GM customer if they haven't fixed issues.
  • bbartholomewbbartholomew Member Posts: 2
    what did they say about the cooling seats. I have a 2011 and my cooling seats do not work.
  • mhope814mhope814 Member Posts: 1
    Can anyone tell me if they have had a similar issue and if so, what did you do! About three days ago our audio stopped working in our 2009 Enclave. No sound at all; bluetooth, radio, NAV, turn signals... nothing. It is only the sound. Has anyone experienced this issue? What did you need to do? Also the rear seat controls work intermitantly - can't figure out when and why the stop and start. Anyone have this one as well???

We bought the Buick used. I'm not impressed with the level of quality on this vehicle. This is the first major issue with a lot of smaller things - seals, leaks, NVH issues on the brakes and steering. POOR workmanship and quality top to bottom!
    I’m sorry that your Enclave isn’t satisfying you as a driver. Fuse information is located in your owner’s manual on p. 5-92, which may be helpful for you to look into. If you have any questions or would like Customer Assistance, please email Christina.

Best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Assistance
  • tpp123tpp123 Member Posts: 2
    I read through all of the other messages and do not see a real response to the inquiry concerning the audio going completely out in the 2008 & 2009 Enclaves. Is there a known problem? While driving today, I suddenly experienced a very loud static-like noise coming from my speakers that continued when I turned the radio off and worsened when I used the turn signals and brake. The noise continued after parking the vehicle and removing the keys and then the sound system was completely out and is now not working at all. Please help me with any knowledge you may have so I may get the audio repaired.
    tpp123,
    Thank you for taking the time to post your concerns. Have you spoke with your dealer of choice regarding your concerns? If not, I would definitely recommend doing so. Can you please email me directly with your VIN, current mileage, and dealer of choice? Please include your complete contact information. I look forward to your response.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
    SocialMedia@GM.com
  • tpp123tpp123 Member Posts: 2
    Thank you for your reply. I do have a case number now. It's 71-1074277479. I was working with someone on contacting a dealership in my area but it seems I am not receiving the same attention anymore. I was told that the vehicle needs to be diagnosed but was not happy about the diagnostic fee since it seems there is a known issue with the audio in the 08 & 09 Enclave. At this point any info or direction you can provide is appreciated. I am scared to have my children in the vehicle with me because the noise has continued for unknown reasons in short bursts. It is sudden and startling and can contribute to an accident. I just reached 68K miles and the VIN should be under the case number.
  • eemsueemsu Member Posts: 6
    I purchased/fell in love with a 2012 Enclave on 7/31/12. On a trip 2 days later my family and I noticed a persistent high pitch sound comming from the radio head unit. The noise literally gives me a headache every time I drive the vehicle. I downloaded a free iPhone app called iAnalyzerLite which displays the fundamental 9.06KHz noise component having a magnitude of 60dB emanating from the cd slot on the radio. You can amplitude modulate this at night with the light intensity adjustment which means it is a problem with the switching frequency of the electroluminescent display balast. Some junior electrical engineer or procurement bean counter is to blame for selecting switching components having a circuit resonant frequency in the audible spectrum.

The noise starts as soon as the door is opened and will stay on for a period of time with removal of the key. It's on all the time while the key in the ignition. With this said, my recent trip to a Buick service center yielded a few more data points 1) GM has issued bulletin "#PIT5166A: High Pitch Sound From Radio Display" which acknowledges the problem but issues a stop work on further repairs. According to this bulletin dated 6/28/12, GM engineering has no solution at this time and no timeline is provided. 2) I demonstrated this same problem exists in another enclave on the lot. 3) The bulletin is issued for 2012 enclave, traverse, Tahoe, Yukon, Acadia, Suburban, etc.... 4) Buick phone customer service will not provide me a corporate contact to find out what the schedule will be for resolution. 5) Having been through this process before with BMW, I have no choice but to be turned away from Buick service 2 more times next week to fulfill lemon law process requirements.

I can't believe I bought a $40k domestic vehicle that has a known unresolved problem topped with completely useless customer service that by all verbal evidence is outsourced to India.
  • gmcustsvcsarahgmcustsvcsarah Member Posts: 1,964
    Good evening eemsu,
    I'm sorry to read about the concern you're having with a high-pitched sound coming from your CD player. I see that you've already been in contact with our Customer Assistance Center; were you issued a Service Request number when you called in? Thank you for your patience!
    Sarah, GM Customer Service
    I've received nothing of value from GM or BUICK customer service, no numbers or phone numbers. I asked to go up the chain of authority but they will not tranfer me out of the India call center. I simply want to speak to a domestic GM corporate customer advocate to discuss the timeline for when this known problem is expected to be resolved. All I get instead are crickets. How can it be that a corporation refuses to answer the simple needs of its customers. I even emailed the Enclave product manager twice. No response!
    Good evening eemsu,

I can understand how frustrating this can be when you have a concern with your vehicle and feel as though you are not getting answers. With a matter like this, it is difficult to predict when a solution will be discovered in order to provide any kind of time line. I would recommend staying in contact with your dealership for updates on this as they would have the most up to date procedures, and if you would like for us to officially document your concern with the radio display noise, please send the following information to us at socialmedia@gm.com: your name and Edmunds username, phone and address, the last 8 of your VIN and current mileage, and the name of your involved dealership.

• just4fun12just4fun12 Member Posts: 1
    hello, i have a 2008 enclave that just hit 70,000 and it was doing the same thing with the speakers and just today everything stopped working as well
    all radio turn signal sounds nav
    any help would be great
    thank you
    Good morning just4fun12,

We're sorry to hear about the multiple concerns you've encountered with your Enclave and would be happy to get a Service Request going so we can look into it. If you're interested, please email us the following information to socialmedia@gm.com: your name and Edmunds username, phone and address, the last 8 of your VIN and current mileage, and the name of your involved dealership.

Best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • phanikumarphanikumar Member Posts: 1
    We are planning to buy a 2012 Buick Enclave Premium group and wanted to get the dual headrest entertainment system. One question is : can we route the audio from the dvd system through the speakers or do we have to always use the wireless headphones?
  • charise1charise1 Member Posts: 1
    edited October 2012
    My sound system on my 2008 Buick Enclave has been doing the same thing... creating a loud popping noise (almost sounds like speaker is going to blow). After several episodes it has completely quit working. The radio goes on and you can change the station, but their is no sound coming out of the speakers along with the sound for the turn signal. I was told I could either replace the unit for $2,400 (VERY high) or have it repaired by an out of town vendor for around $500. I opted for the repair and am hoping for the best. I am shocked that this car would have such a significant problem requiring potential replacement for being so relatively new. Please advise me if there is any potential reimbursement from Buick for the well known problem. Thank you! = )
    charise1,

We hope that the repair goes well - keep us posted on this!

• bird70bird70 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 98 Enclave also, had the same popping sound and radio went dead. Called GM and they refused to help with such a known problem with their radios. Not a good customer experience
  • wwd123wwd123 Member Posts: 1
    Eemsu....we just purchased a new 2012 enclave and immediately noticed the high pitched sound coming from the head unit. Have you received any updated info on fixing this annoying problem?
    Mine and other detailed experiences with this problem can be found through google search "gm high pitch noise". I don't know the current status of the service bulletin below but you probably should talk with your service center manager about #PIT5166 and check, hopefully the instruction to service is no longer inaction. I see someone posted on June 10th this year:
    "GM Service bulletin #PIT5166.  New radio installed today and sound is GONE!!!!!"
  • augrisaugris Member Posts: 1
    Mine is a 2010 model and I also have this problem. Audio makes a pop sound and audio/nav screen goes blank and all audio, to include blinker indicator noise, shuts off. Usually it works again if I park for awhile and restart the engine. Other times it will come back on its own after awhile. It makes a loud clicking noise and then everything comes back on. I have to reset the display clock after each incident.
  • ltsofgaltsofga Member Posts: 1
    It only happens about 20% of the time, but it is annoying and definitely a safety concern: here is a video, if anybody can help, it would be great:
    https://plus.google.com/u/2/108815216291161197997/posts
    watch ANY of the enclave videos of how the radio and turn signals are somehow tied. Dealership has replaced radio and the entire instrument panel in the past two months...2012 Enclave Blinker Noise Missing
  • deecaraballodeecaraballo Member Posts: 1
    It was so refreshing to read some of these posts. My dealer made me think I was going crazy. Didn't think to Google "Enclave radio issues" until now...
    I purchased a 2013 Enclave in May of this year. A couple weeks later I had to bring it in because my radio wasn't sounding right. So they replaced the amplifier. When picking it up from service, I started noticing a very annoying popping sound and I thought it was bad tweets, so I brought it in again. It didn't do it all of the time, and it was more noticeable with blue tooth than any other source. I was told it was a compatibility problem with my phone carrier and the car. So I purchased an mp3 player, and I was still experiencing issues! I brought it in again, and they kept it for three days, only to give it back to me and say that they had not found any issues. Thinking it was just me, I went ahead and upgraded the sound system. It sounds awesome now, but still the popping sound, and now, once in a while it'll do a really loud pop as if it had blown up and it resets, dumps out the DVD, reboots...the works. I don't think is fair that I wasn't helped and I'll potentially end up having to buy a new receiver when I see that related issues have been reported in the past and it appears to be known. What is the next level if service refuses to help me?
  • texbywayofgatexbywayofga Member Posts: 1
    We own a 2008 Enclave (with 115K miles) and this month have experienced exactly the same problems indicated by tpp123. The screeching sound would be emitted when the blinker was turned on, the doors were locked/unlocked, raised the back hatch, etc. It was completely unbearable and intolerable! Plus no audio features worked at this point. We took our Enclave to the dealer, where we were quoted $2400 for a new replacement or $1700 for a refurb unit! We just had them unhook the radio until we can find a suitable resolution. So for nearly a month, I have had no radio/XM/iPod, no back-up camera, no DVD, no blinker sounds, no door chimes, etc. Since we bought this car used in 2012, we have had close to $12K in repairs - while it's a beautiful car, it has been a lemon. I'm really disappointed in my GM product. Let's see what GM says.
  • dpirkldpirkl Member Posts: 3
    We have a 2013 Enclave that the radio makes a loud popping noise a scares the #$%^& out of you. We took in to the dealer in June of this year and they said that they changed out the radio but it still happens. It seems that it happens when it is hot out and after you run the car for about 30 minutes. We again took it to the Buick dealer and they are stating that since they have not heard the popping that they cannot do anything about it. I asked the Manager to reach out to GM and see if there is some issue but he refused to do so since he could not make it happen. I guess that since they have not heard it that it doesn't exist...They still have the car (and we have their loaner). I expect them to fix it. Anyone else heard of a load popping noise?
    Correction, it is a 2014 Enclave
    dpirkl said:

We have a 2013 Enclave that the radio makes a loud popping noise a scares the #$%^& out of you. We took in to the dealer in June of this year and they said that they changed out the radio but it still happens. It seems that it happens when it is hot out and after you run the car for about 30 minutes. We again took it to the Buick dealer and they are stating that since they have not heard the popping that they cannot do anything about it. I asked the Manager to reach out to GM and see if there is some issue but he refused to do so since he could not make it happen. I guess that since they have not heard it that it doesn't exist...They still have the car (and we have their loaner). I expect them to fix it. Anyone else heard of a load popping noise?

We're sorry to hear your 2014 Enclave is in the dealership, dpirkl. If you'd like to send us your VIN, full contact information and dealership name we will gladly follow up with them for additional details. We're available via private message, or email at socialmedia@gm.com.

Amber N.
    GM Customer Care
    dpirkl said:

Correction, it is a 2014 Enclave

Well, we got the car back and the Dealer _Randy Marion Buick did not do anything and stated that they don't want to just "through parts at the problem" as that is would be a waste of money. How about the waste of money we paid to have a car from GM. I don't car what it cost GM to make this go away, I guess they don't car that I spend $27,000. WE have a case number through GM customer service and we informed the Randy Marion. They stated by me calling them just makes the issue worse,,, HOW SO? The mechanic was nice enough to talk to us but he also stated that it cost money to just replace parts... I agree but I don't care. Funny, he asked that the next time that we have the problem that we drive the car there while it happens... REALLY? I plan to continue expect that GM fix this no matter what Randy Marion Buick whats!
  • pfri1pfri1 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2008 Buick Enclave. The speakers were making popping noises this morning and then the radio and blinker sounds have gone silent. They still operate but have no sound coming from them. From reading these posts, this is apparently a fairly common and known problem to GM for which they seem to not want to take any responsibility. I certainly hope to replace this vehicle soon and it will NOT be with a GM product. We have already replaced the transmission due to broken wave plates (also a known problem on other forums). My mechanic replaced it with a Ford wave plate and said I should have no more problems.
  • iasgurliasgurl Member Posts: 1
    I had the same problem in the summer 2014 with my 2008 Enclave. Sounded like a Transformer was inside my car. Local mechanic sent me to a sound system installer who diagnosed a broken amplifier. New part cost about $250 from local dealer and installed by stereo expert for $100. Not an easy job because it's located behind the dash. Part is about 12" x 9".
  • blueizeblueize Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2012 Buick Enclave! I really love this car, but this last week, my radio just had nothing but static. My husband said that maybe it was the antenna so we swapped his dodge antenna out for mine. Although his radio wasn't perfect signal it worked. My radio still did not work with his antenna. I remembered searching the Internet for enclave radio problems and had seen a posted video where someone had pulled the plugs in doors and water had ran out of the plugs. Although this did not fix their problem, I thought we should check mine. Sure enough there was plenty of water in all 4 plugs. We drained them and tried the radio again and guess what, it worked. I am guessing that eventually it probably would have shorted everything out ruining the radio. I contacted the dealership to ask if this issue had ever been brought up or if there was a recall on this and was told no.They said had never heard of the issue. We opened the doors and unplugged all the plugs and left them hanging down to dry out for a while. It seems to be working fine now. Makes me wonder how many people have paid for new radios created by this issue? Does anyone have any clue how to fix this issue or should there be recall on it?
  • blueizeblueize Member Posts: 2
    Also, I forgot to mention that the dealership recommended that I bring my auto in to be checked out, but that since it was no longer under warranty that they would charge me!
  • danderson12danderson12 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2008 Buick Enclave.  This morning when I got in the car it was making a loud popping nouse from the speakers. No audio is working of any kind just tge intermittent pipping which driving me insane. I drive for a living please help resolve.  Mileage is 86981. Need help asap. 
  • superdad53superdad53 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2008 Buick Enclave and am currently on my 3rd replaced amplifier in 3 1/2 years. The dealership wants $750-$800 to replace the amplifier each time offering no explanation for the problem. They note on the service ticket that there is corrosion around the terminals of the amp. I paid their fee the first time. The last two times I bought the amp & replaced it myself. Today after washing the car I noticed water leaking onto the floor boards on the driver side which explains the corrosion seen on the amp. Is there a known problem or fix for this? I'm wondering if the water is coming through the driver side door jamb??? Any comments would be greatly appreciated.
  • tazbeckydbtazbeckydb Member Posts: 2
    I also have had this popping  sound  in my 2008 enclave for about a year. Then about 3mths ago we lost every sound in the car. Took to the dealer and wanted to show him some of these problems that u all have talked about and he didmissed me and them saying you can put anything on the net. So now what am i supposed to do. 
    Thx
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Try opening up a case with Buick. Or find a better dealer.
  • vick_1980vick_1980 Member Posts: 1
    Hi every one. I have a 2008 buick enclave and the sound for everything stopped. No stereo,  backup cam sound, signal sound, no sound.
    I have check all the fuses and they are fine. 
    Any ideas or suggestions are welcome. 
    Thank you
  • abebacanliabebacanli Member Posts: 2
    Hi, I have a 2011 buick enclave which I bought one month ago and I experience the same problem. No radio, no back up cam sound, no signal sound, no sound at all. GM dealer said that new update of radio system would cost about 800 dollars. Beside, it rained during all the night and the upper light system started to drop water. I have seen for the first time a vehicle is dropping inside water when it is raining. Furthermore, it was dropping on navigation and other electronic systems while stopping and accelerating. I have recorded three videos. As I am an Uber driver, tens of my riders have also witnessed this annoying experience.
  • mtstephensmtstephens Member Posts: 1
    It is frustrating to read all these comments and for there not to be a recall. We had a couple major issues recently with our 2009 Enclave. Thankfully there was an extended warranty on the two pieces that needed replacing. I was however disappointed that we had not received any notification that our parts may need replacing. Now I'm having the same issue as everyone else with the radio. We're passed the warranty period, and I have no desire to spend that kind of money replacing a radio on a 2009 Buick. I'm not the type to take to social media and post negative reviews, but I am seriously considering it. For as much money as we paid for this car, we have had way too many issues with it.