Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet Aveo Transmission Problems

13»

Comments

• sonia96sonia96 Member Posts: 2
    Yes! That is exactly what we are dealing with. A Chevy Aveo is definately a POS! Steer clear! DO NOT BUY ONE!!!
  • KonstantineKonstantine Member Posts: 6
    edited March 2011
    Hi Sonia, as I said I picked up a code reader/clearer
    link(got it on sale for %50 off)
    I plug this in and erase the error while I'm driving. Works like a charm. (Which is more than I can say for this decrepid model of a car). :lemon:
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    Have you experienced that issue again? If you have not experienced the issue again, I would recommend waiting until your next visit to the dealership as they advised. I can also look into the issue for you. In order to do so I will need the VIN for the vehicle as well as your name, address, phone number, and current mileage. Thank you in advance.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.
  • sldmhsldmh Member Posts: 2
    We traded the piece of junk off!!!! :) We printed the complaints I found online forums and the 38 complaints off of the National Highway Traffic Safety Admin (filed a complaint as well supplied my VIN to them) took all those complaints that were like our to the dealership and they said "we can't do anything until Chevy/GM issue are repair bulletin. No repairs can be made under warranty work for the Transmission Seepage either due to the wording in the GM Warranty Guide Lines. The wording says a leak is something that has a drip. The tech listed it as seepage so therefore not covered under GM warranty"

So goodbye GM you will never have our business again. We only lost $500 off of our trade. We bought it NEW for $9000 trade in was $8500. When we bought it there was over $3500 in rebates on the Aveo. Now we own a Ford Fiesta 2011--lots up upgrades for only out of pocket cost of $3500. (power everything, satellite radio, spoiler, heated seats and mirrors, ambient lighting (makes the inside pretty colors at night)) It also gets GREAT gas mileage compared to the AVEO--city for the last week has been an average of 33 MPG. Haven't done highway mileage yet but YEAH SO HAPPY--no more breakdown's, no more "gear searching", no more shop days for front end rebuilds! TRADE OFF YOUR AVEO's and stay away from GM/Chevy.
  • sandmythsandmyth Member Posts: 1
    This! this has started happening to my girlfriends 08 aveo. Engine light is for crankshaft sensor. She had her Tranny replaced 8000-10000 miles ago under powertrain.
  • abb07aabb07a Member Posts: 2
    Hi sonia96 , I have the exact same problem with my aveo 2004.
    Did you fix the problem?
    please let me know ?
    Thank you
  • KonstantineKonstantine Member Posts: 6
    edited May 2011
    Look @ responses # 103 & 106.
    I have been searching the internet everywhere for this issue and have not found another solution than this....
  • steve46123steve46123 Member Posts: 1
    I am having the exact same problem on the same model (09 Aveo). The dealer has also not been able to replicate. Whate was the resolution?
  • abb07aabb07a Member Posts: 2
    I did not find any solution, sorry. This car have a lot of problems and was low rated.
  • kl365kl365 Member Posts: 1
    I'm also having issues with our 2011 automatic Aveo (team canada edition). The best way to describe the issue is that it seems to either start in 3rd gear (absolutely no power from a cold start until about 60km/hr) or it slips from 1st to 3rd (hits ~20km/hour then just completely bogs down till it hits 60km/hr).

We've had it into the shop and the only way the techs could recreate anything like it was to manually activate the hold button. I know 100% for sure that we're not hitting the hold button at any time; the light on the dash is very visible when it is on. Since the vehicle has been returned from the dealership this issue has happened at least 2-3 times a day and I've verified every single time that the HOLD light is not on.

I'd think it was a temperature issue but it doesn't matter if you've been driving for 30seconds or 30 minutes, it's completely intermittent and impossible to recreate. I can start from a deadstop and it will happen, immediately stop and try again then it won't.

To top it off my brand new aveo gets about 25% less gas mileage than my 11 year old Toyata Echo which I'm sure is tied into these transmission issues. Sorry but in no way should the same 400km trip take almost 1/2 tank more gas in my Aveo than my Echo (exact same gas tank size).
  • asilasilasilasil Member Posts: 2
    We have the exact problem with our '09 Aveo. We bought it for our two college age daughters and I am afraid to let them drive it. Yesterday, it didn't even make it up the block before it started losing power. My daughter stepped harder on the gas, and the rpm's go up, but the car continues to slow down. They it suddenly "catches" and shoots forward. This can happen several times a day for weeks, and then not at all for weeks. It has been to the dealership four times. Twice they kept it for several days. They do not see anything in the codes and say they can not replicate the problem when driving. I've read of others having this problem. What is Chevy going to do about it?
  • larry163larry163 Member Posts: 2
    I read on Edmunds their going to discontinue the Aveo (rumor only) if so there's going to be a newer model with a different name but same problems I really don't think theirs much that can be done. For your sake I hope I'm wrong. If I could afford it, I'd trash mine in a New York second. Good Luck!
  • donna2edonna2e Member Posts: 2
    I just bought a 2011 Aveo Hatchback in April. I couldn't get it out of park a few times, took it to the dealership where they supposedly changed the shifting gears.... that was 2 weeks ago. 2 days ago, it happened again.
    I am trying to research to see how many aveo owners are having this issue.
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    Just a guess... you usually don't set the parking brake? Automatic transmissions have parking pawls that engage when the car is in park. The pawl locks the driving wheels while in park. If you're on a grade, it's going to take more pressure to get the car out of park. I'm kind of surprised the dealership "did something" rather than remind you to set the parking brake, especially on a hill.
  • barkydogbarkydog Member Posts: 45
    This won't matter at all and has nothing to do with it. You obviously will have stepped on the brake before you shift it out of park, especially when parked on a hill. At that point all the brakes are engaged, even more than if you had had the parking brake set (which only affects 2 out of 4 of the wheels).
  • donna2edonna2e Member Posts: 2
    I set the parking brake when my car is parked on an incline. I would imagine that's a no brainer, so the dealership never even asked if I did it. The car has been stuck in park in both situations, level ground and incline... with and without the parking brake on. When I called the dealership letting them know that the problem occurred again and that I was researching on the internet they said they didn't sell too many Aveo's and asked if I'd seen any solutions. Since my car is a 2011, I can now see that this has been an issue for a couple of years with the Aveo. Guess I should have done the research BEFORE buying the car. :cry:
  • truthrarelytruthrarely Member Posts: 1
    My mother gave me her 04 Aveo when she decided she needed a bigger car back in the winter of 2009. At that point, I believe she had had the engine replaced as part of a recall.

It worked great for me from December 2009-August 2011,when the transmission just decided to stop working. I'm currently trying to save up to get it fixed--I'm told it'll cost $1800 to replace it, but I'm wondering if it is worth it? I love my little car, but I'm not sure if it's worth it.

Thanks!
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Well if it were really clean and otherwise in excellent operating order, it might be worth it, but if its shabby and has dents and ripped seats or needs 4 tires, a new window and the AC is busted----then, I'm not so sure I'd fix it. You could probably by a very decent good running one for $3000 --$3500.
  • mia_brunomia_bruno Member Posts: 3
    Q: I don't want to have to resort to the GM parts & services if not absolutely necessary. My automatic 2005 Chevy Aveo LS requires T-IV Automatic Transmission Fluid (GM pt. # 88900925) and an unknown GM Transmission filter. I want to be good to my Aveo and use Royal Purple Max ATF and their filter, but I don't know if that'd be even possible.

Does anyone know FOR A FACT what alternates if any to the T-IV AITP TRAN OIL are more then acceptable.?????
    Does anyone know FOR A FACT what alternates if any to the T-IV AITP TRAN OIL are more then acceptable.?????

Yes, "for a fact" you can (and should) buy this: Valvoline MaxLife DEX/MERC ATF. Buy the gallon, which comes in a big, red jug. You will need more than a quart if your are doing a fluid and filter change, so buy the gallon. (Price wise, try Advance Auto as they stock it.)

If you read the back of the container you will note that this is the correct fluid for your Aveo, which is T-IV. T-IV was Toyota's version of ATF that came out after Dexron III, which is a GM formulation that was eventually discontinued. (There is no Dexron IV.) It's basically the same as Dexron III except that T-IV is a partially synthetic fluid.
  • journey_sextjourney_sext Member Posts: 1
    Compatible transmission fliud to T-IV is Mobil 3309. Check it out here: http://www.mobil.com/Canada-English-LCW/automatic-transmission-fluid_mobil-super- -atf-3309.aspx
  • menshelptvmenshelptv Member Posts: 1
    The 2011 does not like cheap gas (Fuel) I have learned this and it runs like crap up the hills... as if the motor is burning through gas very fast.
  • bdenyartbdenyart Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2009 aveo5 hatchback with 70,000 miles. About two weeks ago it started to stall. Kind of like I was stuck in neutral. And the rpm would rev up to about 4 or 5. I am posting this because I had seen similar issues posted on this website. I took to the dealers two days ago. They called me back yesterday and said that my transmission fluid was "bone dry". They later called me because the front two seals in my transmission were leaking. If any one else is having this issue I hope that you get it sorted out. I was scared to death driving on the highway. It would do it after shifting into drive or when stopped at a light. It was like I just couldn't gain speed. I should get it back today so ill add any further findings. I hope this helps someone else out.
    We're glad to hear that your dealership is on the case, bdenyart. Looking forward to an update once you get your Aveo back today.

Sarah, GM Customer Service
  • s_krens_kren Member Posts: 3
  • s_krens_kren Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2006 automatic chev aveo hatchback with 180,000 kms on it. Two weeks ago my transmission went which could cost between $1000 and $2000 to fix (depending on if I go with a used transmission or get my mechanic to fix mine).
    I would just like to get opinions on if I should fix it or not. I haven’t done my timing belt/water pump yet. Physically the car is not too bad. Couple scratches no major cosmetic problems. There is an oil leak which I don’t consider major since I barely ever have to add oil but it has made a mess on my motor and can get stinky randomly when I drive. 3 of my 4 rims are bent from nasty pot holes and a different mechanic has told me I need an end joint as my right front passenger side makes a small noise if I go over bumps. And if I don’t let my car warm up enough before going it makes a noise when im in gear (but only for a few minutes).
    Has anyone else been in this/a similar situation? I really don’t know what to do yet.
    From all that you described, including the relatively high mileage on this car, to repair everything that it needs is not worth the amount that it will cost.

Your Aveo has seen "service beyond the call of duty", and actually has served you quite well, considering that you haven't kept up with recommended, essential service requirements (such as the timing belt replacement). Retire it and get something else.
    I'm with barkydog on this one---it's throwing good money after bad. I'd punch out.
  • ianhugheyianhughey Member Posts: 1
    I've got a 2010 Chevy Aveo w/ an automatice transmission. When I'm driving down the road, if I try to hold it at around 45-55 mph, it starts to surge. It becomes difficult to get up hills, etc. To me, this feels like a problem with the transmission, but I've been reading up on the coil packs, and thought it might be an issue w/ them as well, just in that particular rpm range (around 2000, more than likely in 4th gear). Any suggestions?
    Did you have the coil pack and/or spark plugs replaced under the recall?
    If not, get it done. It won't cost your anything.

If your 2010 is still under the three year warranty describe the condition and have it corrected by a dealer before the warranty runs out. On mine they found a defective accelerator unit when the car was only three months old. That was causing indefinite shifting of the A/T as a symptom.
    Hello Ianhughey,

I'm sorry that you are experiencing this issue with your vehicle. If you would send me, your full name, address, phone, VIN and the name of the dealership you are working with to socialmedia@gm.com (attn: Marlea) This will allow me to research some resolution options for you and vehicle history. I‘ll do my best to look into your concern and find you a satisfactory resolution.

Marlea Wilson
    GM Customer Service
  • graysmamagraysmama Member Posts: 1
    We are in the same boat. We traded in our 2006 aveo ls yesterday for a 2011 dodge caliber after our mechanic told us friday that our transmission is likely going to go soon. It was still running but problems were multiplying and it was no longer worth the repairs. It had 118,000 miles on it. I'd bought it used in 2008 so we had 5 years out of it. Considering it was a cheap little car to begin with I think it did well to last so long before having a huge issue.
  • nikole_buttonnikole_button Member Posts: 1
    I have an 09 aveo as well about the same mileage & started having the same problem & I was just checking this forum to get some input. I haven't even checked the fluid level yet. Just wondering, was your car okay after you got that stuff fixed? & also, how much did it cost you if you don't mind me asking?
  • salinas4usalinas4u Member Posts: 6
    I also have an 09' Aveo. It was doing the surge thing and not getting up to speed. I had the coil pack changed under the re-call notice but a few months later and 100 miles from home all my dash lights come on and it would not go into 4th gear. I babied it home and took it to the dealer. They ordered a gear for it but it took too long to get it since it was out sourced so they replaced the whole transmission. I barely had 59,000 miles on it so it was covered under the powertrain warranty. I have not had another issue with it al all....knock on wood. lol
  • wendellewendelle Member Posts: 2
    I've recently started having what sounds like the same problem with my '10 Aveo. It slows while I'm driving. A couple of times I've had to pull off the road, turn it off, and restart it. No warning lights, and yes, a full gas tank, and the dealer can't find a code. It did stall out completely once when I stopped at my mailbox, but started right back up. Very frustrating and scary.
    Hi wendelle,

We understand your frustration with this matter and are sorry that you are having this issue with your Aveo. If there is anything we can look into for you regarding this matter definitely let us know.

Amber N.
    GM Customer Care
  • wendellewendelle Member Posts: 2
    After continued problems about every other day , included stalling out on me three times on my five-mile drive from work to home, I took it back to the dealer first thing Thursday morning and said I just would not drive it until it was fixed. I eventually contacted Chevrolet (the company, not the dealership) via their website to report the problem, and also talked to the manager of the service department of my dealership, who, unlike my service advisor, at least seemed to care. I finally got a call at 4:30 Monday that they'd found the problem ("#1 O2 sensor failed internally", according to the paperwork). I picked it up Tuesday around noon, and so far (Wednesday evening) it seems to be fine. And the Chevrolet people did contact me and are sending me a $100 certificate for future service (the repair was covered by my warranty, and cost nothing).
  • bthreadgbthreadg Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2009 4 door Aveo with 72,000 miles, no hard driving, just commuting, regularly maintained.
    As expected with that mileage, it's never had transmission issues, and no real problems outside of the engine light prompting several emission fixes over the years.

Then last week, the following symptoms appeared:

1. When accelerating from a stop:
    a. It intermittently missed some shifts (once reaching 5 – 10 mph, shifting was fine).
    b. A sound from the front driver's side. A rapid, repeating sound, like a fan brushing against something.

2. After starting car, was able to shift to other gears, but transmission stayed in park. This happened after being at a friend's for a couple hours, parked in his driveway that has a slight grade. The car was in Park, and emergency/parking break applied.
    After 5 mins, I was able to get out of Park.

3. My mechanic is doing diagnostics now, but said he checked the trans fluid was dark . . not terrible, but dark.

If anyone can provide any insight, it would be much appreciated. I've had a dozen cars through the years, but never one that had transmission problems after 72,000 miles.

Thanks in advance,

Brent
    aveo@threadgill.com
  • kelstephkelsteph Member Posts: 1
    My 08 aveo has around 90k miles. The AT started slipping this week and has very quickly gotten worse. It slips at all speeds , several times a mile and now even seems to be slipping while stopped at lights. Does anyone have any insight as to what could be wrong? The fluid level is fine. It was inspected by two different gm dealers prior to train warranty expiration and they said they couldn't find a problem. It was at that time having trouble shifting above 60mph.
  • hebrewlochebrewloc Member Posts: 1

my mom has had a similar problem on her 2010 chevrolet aveo LT but was very mild almost unnoticable. then her a/c stopped working. ive repaired the coolant system do to its wacky problems, regularly service the trany with GM's own fluid and change the oil every 4,000mls with Mobile 1 & Mobile 1 filter. i just replaced the the air filter inlet tube which was $214.89 from the dealer. i was going to recharge the a/c but the pressure gauge read 90psi & the instructions recommend a a/c diagnoses, so my little old lady mother (grandma of 3) took it to sears & sat 8hrs for the a/c. They did a diagnoses first & said they found a pin hole leak in a hose, they replaced it and recharged it, it worked a whole day then started blown hot. she went back they told her something in the system was clogged. so its a head scratcher & even since the day it was serviced the surge now is horrible and revs high to almost bogging out while driving. she had a 2000 Impala die & aveo's warranty ignored by dealer. Never buying GM again

• time4thistime4this Member Posts: 1

Well, most comments I've read here involve negative experiences--go figure. The happy people aren't around cause they're out driving! I must say, for the most part I've been pretty happy with my 2007 Aveo5. Yeah, the mileage stinks for such a small car. Yeah, it collects a scratch or dent if you look at it wrongly. Yeah, it is cheaply built--heck I only paid $8400 for it (as a loss leader) new off the lot in 2007--it has treated me pretty well for the past 84,000 miles. Hard to scoff at $.10/mile transportation! I love it for parking downtown or zipping about easily. Sure, I have to explain to many kids how to manually roll the windows down and remind them to lock the doors, but they eventually figure it out. For $8400 I was glad to have all four wheels AND a spare!

There have been a few problems: door handle screws backing themselves out..., interior trim popping free here/there. Then I've had a right front strut blow out that the local repair place wanted $500 to fix (declined, it's noisy but drives fine...) And then I went car camping with my Aveo5.

I'm presuming that somewhere along the 15-20 miles of unpaved gravel roads it fell out. Or, it could have happened somewhere else along the life of the car, who knows...but the hole/mount looked clean when I checked, so this was probably recent event. The "It" is referring to the lower of the three ($8.64) trans-axle mount bolts. Now everything was still humming along nicely even though it was missing, however, after failing to avoid ONE pothole when the light was playing tricks on me, there was a pronounce THUNK and then things got bad. When ever I applied power from the engine the manual shift lurched forwards. First, Third and Reverse would not even stay in gear but for a moment to get things moving. I limped along home up/down miles more of graveled roads out of the wilderness to roll into a dealer and find that missing the support of the lower bolt, the middle bolt tore the top of the transmission clear off--it was hanging there by a single bolt & the engine. There should be no reason for one of these bolts to be missing in the first place, but it is horrific that now I have to replace the $1881.00 transaxle (dealer price for just the parts.)

Thankfully I didn't require a tow out of the wilderness, but I did have to tow it 340 miles home (thanks U-Haul!) It is sitting peacefully in my garage waiting for me to pull it apart. Sounds like I'll be doing a clutch, timing belt & strut and brakes while I'm at it...and then just before we left I get the Recall Notice about the ignition issue. UGH! Even still, I'm pretty happy with that little car...now to get to work.

Sounds like the car doesn't owe you anything at this point. But it's definitely not a good off-road vehicle---LOL! Thanks for dropping in!

• jvl2313jvl2313 Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I have a 2009 aveo5 automatic and I'm having problems with it check engine light cames on and reads something wrong with ecm but at the same time transmission started shifting very hard and I don't know if it is due to the problem of the ecm or the transmission is bad.
    Can someone tell me please...
    The transmission control unit (TCU) uses sensors and inputs from the ECM to determine how and when the transmission shifts gears, so it's entirely possible that the ECM issue is causing the transmission issues. Given that the two have occurred at the same time, that seems likely, but you won't know until you clear up the ECM issue.
    Do you remember the code # ?
  • popspopspopspops Member Posts: 1
    My Aveo 2014, which I bought brand new had a problem with stuck gears and they replaced the gearbox selector box. by 22 000km, the selector box has been replaced twice. Why don't the manufacturers take notice of these deffects and improve the gearboxes. I am starting to lose faith in the whole Chev brand.

popspops said:

My Aveo 2014, which I bought brand new had a problem with stuck gears and they replaced the gearbox selector box. by 22 000km, the selector box has been replaced twice. Why don't the manufacturers take notice of these deffects and improve the gearboxes. I am starting to lose faith in the whole Chev brand.

Sounds like a quality control problem from a supplier for sure. The never-ending tug of war between trying to save cost and maintaining quality :(

• rebelSaiirebelSaii Member Posts: 1
    bdenyart said:

I have a 2009 aveo5 hatchback with 70,000 miles. About two weeks ago it started to stall. Kind of like I was stuck in neutral. And the rpm would rev up to about 4 or 5. I am posting this because I had seen similar issues posted on this website. I took to the dealers two days ago. They called me back yesterday and said that my transmission fluid was "bone dry". They later called me because the front two seals in my transmission were leaking. If any one else is having this issue I hope that you get it sorted out. I was scared to death driving on the highway. It would do it after shifting into drive or when stopped at a light. It was like I just couldn't gain speed. I should get it back today so ill add any further findings. I hope this helps someone else out.

I had the same problem when I was test driving the vehicle. It just gave up on me at a busy intersection (traffic signal). Be careful and don't trust the vehicle.
  • AveoOwnerMMAveoOwnerMM Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2007 model Chev Aveo. I am happy with the car, but recently I'm experiencing that the clutch pedal completely stay flat when changing gears. I've read most of the comments above and it seems to me it is a problem with the Aveo's! I am an 70 year old pensioner and what do I have to do to fix this problem?