Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Which grade of Gasoline to use ?

venram1venram1 Member Posts: 4
I use the 87 grade on my corolla, and the 93 grade
once a month to keep the engine clean(so I was
told), although I am not sure what is actually
cleaned ? Any thoughts on this.

Comments

• guitarzanguitarzan Member Posts: 873
    Sometimes higher octanes contain more detergents, which is what you're probably paying for. Personally, I don't think a periodic high octane fill will clean anything. It could actually cause more deposits, since the engine was not designed for that octane. Doubtful, but theoretically possible.

To clean out carbon deposits, take the car on a
    30-40 minute highway drive. The heat the engine generates acts as a very powerful cleaning agent. If you do this daily, all the better.

To clean deposits from the fuel tank, fuel line,
    and to eat out any water in the bottom of the tank, periodically use a fuel system cleaner. Make sure and use it on a full tank. It is very caustic and in full concentration could actually damage the fuel filter, and any exposed plastic parts.

I'll put this topic in my placemarks, and ignore the misspelled one that I initially responded to.
  • amcallisamcallis Member Posts: 2
    my husband insists on always using premium gasoline in our 1980 oldsmobile (we bought it in the fall). is this absolutely necessary?

thanks,
    Andrea.
  • cobra98cobra98 Member Posts: 76
    nope, not at all. Just wasting money. Although I'm sure you won't be able to get him to change. Actually, it wasn't necessary when you bought the vehicle to use premium, but you might need at least the middle grade now. Because your vehicle is 19 years old, it probably has high mileage and may now be more subject to pinging with the 87 octane (low grade) that it was probably designed for.
    I had a 1980 Delta 88 with the Olds v-8, and 80k+ miles. It required high octane, or it would ping severely. It is hard to say what is most cost efficient. Some pinging is okay. A severe and/or constant ping may actually shorten the life of some engine parts. Also, the mileage was significantly better with the high octane, leading me to believe it ran too hot with 87 octane. The Chevy v-8 offered, I believe, is a little less prone to pinging, valve problems, and the such. If you have the v-6, heck if I know :)
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    I always tell people to use the lowest grade of fuel that the engine will happily accept. You don't do any good whatsoever putting premium fuel in an engine that wasn't designed for it...it's not any better or more powerful...the octane rating relates to the rate and evenness of the burn, and some engines are finicky about that.
    Nor is it related to the size of the engine or the horsepower what type of fuel you might need. You really need to go by what the manufacturer says and how your cars really runs...pinging should be avoided at all costs, unless it is brief and minor...that clinking noise is your internal engine parts rattling around!
  • smithcsmithc Member Posts: 1
    if you want a higher octane fuel. go to your local parts store and buy it. a small bottle of 102 will
    go a lot farther than a tank full of $ 100 gas will
    add it when you want that extra couple of horses
    also that pinging can be taken care of by timing
    Well, maybe, maybe not. Some of those products do work, and thanks for thinking of that, smithc, but I've seen tests that show quite convincingly that many don't do diddly...also, given the small amount of octane boost you get from a $5 can, it's hard to justify the cost over just buying the right gas.(e.g., if premium fuel is 20 cents more per gallon, and your tank is 15 gal, that's only $3 more, and you get 4 or 5 more octane points, which no can of whatever is going to do.)
    True, retarding the timing (you can only do that on older cars safely--the new cars do it for you automatically)will cure the pinging, but also cut way down on your power.
  • KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    an old co-worker of mine used to use premium religiously - he felt regular and plus were watered down version of the best. Until the fuel prices skyrocketed in 1990 from the Gulf War. And here in NJ, regular was averaging $1.40, premium $1.65. So to save money, he bit the bullet and bought regular. You guessed it - the car ran exactly the same. He never bothered with premium again.
  • edw1edw1 Member Posts: 2
    I always use a higher octane in my 5.9 gas engine whenever I am pulling my 32 foot fifth-wheel and it does help in many ways. Usually I only run 87 octane when in the normal driving mode.
  • edw1edw1 Member Posts: 2
    I always use a higher octane in my 5.9 gas engine whenever I am pulling my 32 foot fifth-wheel and it does help in many ways. Usually I only run 87 octane when in the normal driving mode.
  • amcallisamcallis Member Posts: 2
    wow, what great answers to my question. I'll print them out and show them to my husband and see if he'll change his mind. he loves this car and I think he thinks he's "babying" by putting the more expensive gas into it.

thanks,
    Andrea.
    Hmmm...curious, Edw1....what benefits do you notice in your truck from using premium?
  • GischpelGischpel Member Posts: 133
    I was told that gasoline is "cut" differently in the winter (more of something -- kerosene? in the gas) and because of that the higher grades would give better performance. We usually run 89 in the winter in my wife's car and 87 is the summer. My truck runs 87 year round, so I am not sure what that says...

Terry
    Diesel adds kerosene in the winter, not gasoline. Gasoline tends to have extra oxygen in the winter (hence "oxygenated gasoline"). In either case, winterized fuel is less efficient (less complete combustion), and will cost you anywhere from 1 to 5 mpg. Certain cars will run better on a higher octane gasoline in the winter depending on how their computer is programmed.
  • royallenroyallen Member Posts: 227
    My understanding is that separate from oxygen content, winter gasoline will form vapor at a lower temperature than summer formula. This variable does not change octane but helps avoid flooding in winter and avoid vapor lock in summer. It becomes important if fuel stored in the shed in summer goes into a snow blower or a winter blend is used in summer.

On the topic of oxygenation, power is reduced not because of incomplete combustion, since the (however modest) purpose of oxygenation is to make combustion more complete and improve emission quality, lowering CO. The power loss is due to replacing carbon and hydrogen, the fuel, with oxygen. In contrast, pumping in the oxygen with a turbocharger from an external source readily increases power.
    Funny you say that. I just talked to a buddy today who has a 1984 Turbo Coupe T-bird. He uses 89 octane in warm weather, but told me he gets detonation with that octane in the winter, thus he switches to 92. I learned this 2x today :)
  • quadrunner500quadrunner500 Member Posts: 2,721
    I believe I read in my owners manual that if your car doesn't run properly on the octane it was designed for, it has a problem which should not be properly cured by increasing octane. Older cars, you would retard the timing in this situation. Somewhat newer cars like my '91 Mustang you would disable the spark advance, then with a timing light you could adjust/set the static timing. I believe it had a knock sensor, but I could still advance the timing too far and it would knock. If I ran high octane, I could get more power running more spark advance. Theoretically, a car with a knock sensor can advance the spark for more power automatically if it does not detect knocking. That would be the benefit of paying for premium at the pump. But more octane than you need to prevent knocking, whatever your power level is wasteful.
  • GischpelGischpel Member Posts: 133
    Thanks for the update on the gasoline. I knew it was somehow different in the winter, but couldn't recall the details.

Terry
    royallen,

Technically, we're both right. You are correct that the power loss comes from a lower percentage of hydrogen and carbon. But because of that "unbalance" (more oxygen than the engine would like), the combustion process is not as complete as it could be. A non-turbo engine running oxygas has no idea how to compensate for the extra oxygen, and thus has trouble completely burning it. The extra oxygen, in theory, bonds to the extra carbon monoxide to make carbon dioxide.

Turbos thrive with the extra air pressure because the fuel is also increased to match. This is why turbos are generally made from 4 and 6 cylinder engines - they are attempting to achieve V8 power. Putting oxygas in a turbo multiplies the problem, because again, there's more oxygen than the engine wants, under boost or not.

New Jersey has been fighting the federal EPA for years now, claiming oxygas does not reduce emissions at all, and because of the reduced mpg, forces motorists to buy fuel at a quicker pace, wasting money.

Since I have a diesel, I have to deal with winterized diesel-2. The kerosene keeps the fuel from gelling and waxing - you know when you leave a frying pan on the stove overnight and the grease turns into a thick white gob? Diesel fuel, being an oil, does the same thing during extreme cold temperatures. The kerosene acts as an anti-freeze to delay this gelling, but at the expense of the fuel's overall combustibility. I lose 2-3 mpg on winter diesel compared to straight diesel in the spring and summer.
    Here's an interesting quote on the subject:

" A 1990 study by Public Citizen, A Washington DC consumer advocacy organization, found that while 20% of gasoline sold in premium, only 3% of cars actually need it. Premium therefore, cannot improve performance on 97% of all cars, and it doesn't clean engines any better since virtually all gasoline now contains the same detergents in the same concentrations. In 1991, the FTC ordered Sunoco to stop advertising its 93.4 and 94 octane gas as superior in providing engine power and acceleration because the company could not substantiate their claims." THE CONSUMER BIBLE

Another one:

"How widespread is octane fraud? Five separate investigations done since 1990 have found up to an 18% octane mislabeling rate (selling regular as premium). In 1990, the New York City Department of Consumer AFfairs found a 16% rate; by 1993, stepped-up enforcement agains gas cheats had reduced it to 4%"

...(hey, that's still 1 out or 25 gas stations, and that's WITH strict enforcement). Draw your own conclusions next time you fill up...
    Shift,

Exxon was sued a few years back by the feds for pretty much the same thing. The settlement involved Exxon to place electronic and print ads stating that premiunm is only for vehicles that require it, and that regular and plus had the same additives as premium.

Most gasoline ads around here still tout premium grade, but carefully say "for engines that need it or drivers that demand it". That last part of course for thoae who don't care how much money they throw away...
    Again, there is some extra power that can be attained, under the proper circumstance of advancing the spark timing. But without the spark advance, the extra octane is wasted. It also should be possible in some cases to reduce octane to a lower grade on a high performance engine by retarding spark advance, at the cost of ultimate power.
    Yes,true, but that "power" is not in the fuel...high octane just burns better, but doesn't have more inherent energy...anyway, on most modern cars the timing is optimised for you, you can't touch it; on older cars, you can get too frisky with the timing and burn a hole right through a piston.
  • Firebird_EOUFirebird_EOU Member Posts: 250
    I did notice more power, smoother shift and less noise from the engine of an Acura Integra 94 when I put in 91 instead of 87... I only tried to use 91 when it's on sale. (for the price of 89 or cheaper than 89) I prefer to use Mobil.
    Which model? Is that the GSR? I had a '93 base model, and couldn't find any difference in power between 87 and 94 octane. The VTEC model probably does take advantage of high octane.
    Again, depends on what it's built for...if the engine is supposed to run on regular octane, it should make no difference at all...it's hard to say what we really notice when we do these experiments...I would swear my car runs better after I wash it, but really now.....
  • volfyvolfy Member Posts: 274
    Quadrunner500 is right. The answer boils down to whether your car has knock sensor(s) or not. An engine equipped with one (or more) will advance the ignition timing to just shy of knocking to maximize power, and thus will benefit from a higher octane gasoline.

On engines without knock sensor(s), the manufacturer generally sets the timing map conservatively enough to run fine on the lowest octane commonly sold. However, without the close-loop feedback from the knock-sensor(s), the controller can only operate open-loop, that is, advance the ignition timing according to a preprogrammed ignition map. As such, the controller can't "see" the higher octane gasoline and thus won't take advantage of it.

Aftermarket chips generally have more aggressive timing maps, combined with more generous fuel metering, in order to make more power. And usually, they require premium gas.

All bets are off, if you don't take care of your engine. Carbon build-up on piston crowns can raise the compression ratio enough to cause premature engine knock. Likewise, carbon build-up on intake valve can soak up the atomized fuel on cold starts enough to make the engine idle rough.
  • arazaraz Member Posts: 27
    I have noticed a difference in MPG between regular and premium in a Dodge pick-up. The explanation I got sounds almost the same as yours. This phenom is more noticeable when towing.
  • volfyvolfy Member Posts: 274
    araz,

Knock sensor or not, an engine will be more prone to knock or pinging under high load conditions such as full throttle or towing a heavy load, or high temperature. Higher octane essentially makes the fuel mixture burn slower thus allowing the thin layer of air ahead of the flame front a better chance at insulating the piston crown from melting.

If your truck has know sensor(s), the ignition timing may be retarded so much with regular unleaded under high load conditions to cause you to step on the pedal more and more to get the performance you require. Otherwise, the mpg shouldn't be all that different.
  • spokanespokane Member Posts: 514
    Volfy makes a very good point that an engine which performs well on regular fuel, and is not equipped with a knock sensor, cannot "see" the higher octane and therefore cannot take advantage of it. Premium fuel in such engine is very likely to be a waste of money.

In order to evaluate fuel-cost economics, I once set the time on a 390 CID Ford (during the era of leaded fuel and no EGR valves) as high as pre-ignition would permit on regular fuel and drove for ~5000 miles while keeping a careful record of fuel consumption. Keeping things such as season and driving pattern unchanged as much as possible, I began using premium fuel, reset the time and repeated the evaluation. In this case, the premium fuel cost 13% more but I managed 19% greater mileage per gallon. The reverse would be true for many cars, of course. I don't suggest that others repeat this with today's knock-sensor engines but I cite this because it seems seldom that anyone attempts an objective evaluation of "octane economics."
    Given the spread in prices between regular and premium here on the northern California coast, I can't imagine it being worthwhile--one couldn't get that much of a jump in fuel mileage (.20 cents a gallon difference, so essentially you'd have to improve fuel mileage something like 14%, which would border on miraculous)...and then you'd only be breaking even.

Also, I agree with the other poster, that unless you're driving under stress and load or with some malfunction, even with a knock sensor you shouldn't notice much change if any in fuel mileage if you switch to premium. But of course, if you've been pinging your little head off, the premium will give relief.
  • tonewheeltonewheel Member Posts: 47
    My I30 owner manual, and the dealer, said it is necessary to use premium fuel only. So, here is one example of the manufacturer recommending premium fuel. Why?
    I don't know about that engine, but many times high octane is recommended because the engine has a relatively high compression. Use low octane, and you'll ping, and cut the engine life short.
    Tonewheel, I agree the premium fuel requirement is most likely due to high compression ratio. It appears to me that the current "horsepower race" particularly in the near-luxury market segment, has brought about the use of higher compression ratios.

It seems to me that many of us would be pleased to have a reduction of ~15 HP and be able to use regular fuel. But, this is only one isolated opinion.

Shiftright, I agree that tuning for a mileage increase to offset the premium fuel cost would border on miraculous. In the Southeast we also have a $0.20+ price differential. I expected, even in the era of carburetors and ignition points when I made my comparison, that the premium fuel cost would not be justificble.
    Compression ratio is one factor in determining octane required, but not the only one. Combustion chamber design and cam timing are a couple of others. My '99 Silverado with the 5.3L pushrod V8 has a 9.5:1 compression ratio, but 87 octane is still the recommended fuel.
  • shcst12shcst12 Member Posts: 34
    I own a Infiniti G20 and its engine compression is 9.5. Is it necessary to use premium fuel? Will it get better fuel econ. if I switch to premium? Also I alway use "plus (89)" for this car, should I stay with it or use other octane? Comments are appreciated, thank you
  • shcst12shcst12 Member Posts: 34
    I checked what kind of fuel is required by manufacturer, it is gas/SEFI?? Can someone tell me what it is? Thank you
    shcst12,
    SEFI is an acronym for sequential electronic fuel injection. It does not describe gasoline type.
    shcst12,
    Check your owners manual. Don't use a higher octane grade than is specified. There is no harm if you do, but it wastes money.
  • claryclary Member Posts: 18
    Here in Montana it is possible to buy 85.5 octane. This winter I ran our 1997 Saturn SW2 on that level, and I think mileage dropped by about 1.5mpg. So my questions are as follows:
    1)If you can not hear knocking, are you damaging an engine that is recommended to be run on 87 octane?
    2) From a stewardship point of view, does a higher octane produce less emissions? If I knew, for example, that using 91 octane would reduce the pollution I was blowing out my exhaust, it would be worth it to me to buy it, even if using it got me no more horsepower.
    3)Is there any engine-life benefit from using a higher octane level octane fuel?

And, finally, in lay man's terms, are there any other benefits to using a high octane in a amall sedan, or for the 200 000 mile haul I hope to get from my car, should I just stick with 87 or 88 octane?
    Good questions, Clary. If you are not getting spark knock, the lower octane is not damaging the engine. However, I don't fully trust the human ear to detect the onset of spark knock.

I am not familiar with the 85.5 octane. It may be a good modern formulation, but since it's unknown to me, I am reminded of a significant fuel problem of the mid-1980's. As port fuel-injection systems became the norm, many cars experienced heavy fouling on the back side of the intake valves due to fuel chemistry in this different scheme of supplying fuel. Poor driveability, especially with a cold engine, was the result. The whole issue managed to stay pretty quiet but the automakers and gasoline producers put a lot of work into new fuel chemistry and apparently solved the problem. My point, if the 85.5 octane comes from an out of date recipe such as the above, you don't want it in your Saturn.

All indications to me from consumer magazines as well as auto enthusiast publications have been that octane above that specified by the manufacturer is no benefit to the environment or the longevity of the engine. A little extra spent on engine preventive maintenance will benefit the air quality as your car accumulates miles ...with the fringe benefit of reduced fuel consumption and better performance.

The above points are not absolutes but they would bring me back to the 87 octane if it were my Saturn.
    Agree with spokane, but will add that 85.5 octane is not well known in most parts of the country, except in Montana, Colorado, and other high altitude states. Here in Colorado, 85 octane is regular, 87 is mid-grade, 91 is premium. The octane points for all three are lower here, and where clary lives because air is less dense at high altitude, therefore compression ratios and combustion pressures are less. The 85.5 octane should be fine if you don't experience "ping."
  • captmcaptm Member Posts: 1
    My 93 Diamante says to use premium fuel on the gas lid. I strictly use Chevron up here in Northwest and my car runs smoother when I use their premium blend over their regular. The engine is quiter with a lower vibration. It sounds like a finely tuned and tight mill or sewing machine.
    Probably what's happening is that your car's computer is retarding the timing when you use a lower grade of fuel because it is sensing engine knock...so you may feel like you get 'more power' with premium, but it's really the other way around...the lower octane is giving you less power because of automatic spark retardation, I think; however, with a retarded spark you should idle a little smoother, at least theoretically, and start a little easier, but with all the computer controls, who knows anymore....the retardation may only start as the engine goes under load. But obviously in your case, the manufacturer meant business when they said "premium"!
  • lwflwf Member Posts: 223
    These "knock sensors" that were referred to around posts 27 to 30. How would one know if a vehicle has one? Do all have one now? If so, when did that happen?

I can't even estimate how long it's been since I heard my engine ping. 20 years? 25 years? Maybe more. I guess this is perceived as a major problem for some, but I have always used 87 octane and have never needed any higher in the cars & pickups I've owned.

But you who have posted above have cleared up one puzzle for me. I've never taken anyone seriously who claimed that higher octane provided better mpg figures. But knock sensors and consequent fine tuning of igition timing on the fly provides an explanation, so thanks for providing it.
    Lwf....I, too, would like to know which engines have knock sensors. I believe most current-model engines have it but some, such as the Honda engines without variable valve timing, do not have it.

With the complexities of more than a dozen sensors providing data to the engine control computer, even experienced mechanics may need a long look at your engine to tell you if your model has a knock sensor. The shop manual, of course, has this information.

GM used knock sensors with the Buick turbocharged engines in the early 1980's but, I believe, did not have widespread use until they introduced the distributorless ignition system ...approximately 1986.

Can anyone clarify this further?
    Potentially, any engine after 1996, and quite a few before dating to as early as 1993 or 1994 is probably going to have knock sensors, since all are required by that time to be OBD-II compliant (On Board Diagnostics). There are about 330 parameters encompassed by the OBD-II, or about 130 on any given application. Knock sensor activity, knock sensor adjust, knock sensor retard are 3 of the 4 I read about. Bottom line still seems to be you are not going to gain power from using more octane than you need, but higher octane will prevent you from losing as much power due to knock retard. Dealers and service technicians use Tech-II scanners to get real-time readouts of knock sensor activity. They have found some retard activity occurs even when using 104 octane race gas under certain engine conditions. OBD-II tries to optimize spark timing for every engine operating condition which is good, but sets a lot of false or intermittent SES (service engine soon light) codes which is bad, since you have to plug into the Tech-II scanner to clear them.
  • mortifymortify Member Posts: 9
    I owned a '94 Mitsu Galant which got better mileage and (nearly insignificant) better acceleration with 93 octane.

My '97 Chrysler Sebring Coupe didn't care, but preferred Sunoco gas to anything else.

My '99 VW Passat (1.8L turbo) requests 91 or better, and I haven't tried 89 to see if it really matters. This car HATES Sunoco. Texaco is fine, as is Exxon.

Anyone know why brands would matter?
  • mortifymortify Member Posts: 9
    Usually knocking is audible, but could it not be as well.

My car occasionally (read: never seen my a mechanic) will "shudder" when driving at about 40MPH on a perfectly smooth road.

Could that be knocking.
  • lwflwf Member Posts: 223
    Thanks everyone, for all the good feedback. I have a little bit of a problem understanding how octane number can get to be over 100 if one uses the classical definition of the term, but I guess I'm just dating myself.

I don't have any idea what post 49's shudder is, but it doesn't sound like knocking.
This discussion has been closed.