Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Excellent Road Trip Car - 2015 Hyundai Sonata Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited August 2015 in Hyundai
imageExcellent Road Trip Car - 2015 Hyundai Sonata Long-Term Road Test

Is our 2015 Hyundai Sonata a good road trip car? We took it on a 750-mile trip to find out.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    iamthestigiamthestig Member Posts: 85
    I've had Sonatas as rental cars a few times and I've been impressed. I wouldn't hesitate to buy one if I were in the marketing for a new sedan.
  • Options
    markinnaples_markinnaples_ Member Posts: 251
    Ugh, sorry, the most boring car I have rented, with nothing much to stand out either good or bad. I guess that's enough sometimes, but I'd rather have something that stirs me at least a little bit.
  • Options
    darthbimmerdarthbimmer Member Posts: 606
    Agree with @markinnaples_. The current and previous generation of Sonatas have been dull, anonymous, and "me-too" when I've driven them as rental cars. That's a bit surprising because ten years back, when I first drove a Sonata, I was impressed with how it looked-- and handled-- better than what I expected for its class and price.
  • Options
    skisurf1skisurf1 Member Posts: 13
    Ha, you guys must be young. The new Sonata is like a Lexus from the 90's. If you want excitement buy a Camaro / Mustang or entry level 328i. The Sonata is what the Honda Accord use to be, best in class. Youngsters must have never driven a Hyundai Scoupe.
  • Options
    quadricyclequadricycle Member Posts: 827
    skisurf1 said:

Ha, you guys must be young. The new Sonata is like a Lexus from the 90's. If you want excitement buy a Camaro / Mustang or entry level 328i. The Sonata is what the Honda Accord use to be, best in class. Youngsters must have never driven a Hyundai Scoupe.

What's it to you, old fart? :)

By the way, I've never heard of the Scoupe. Tell me more about it.
  • Options
    agentorangeagentorange Member Posts: 893

What's it to you, old fart? :)

By the way, I've never heard of the Scoupe. Tell me more about it.

Google is your friend. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyundai_Scoupe
  • Options
    allthingshondaallthingshonda Member Posts: 878
    Cars in the Sonata's class aren't successful by being exciting they succeed by doing their job everyday without complaint. People don't need excitement for the daily drive to work and school, running errands to Wal-Mart or family road trips. They need to start every time, stay out the service department and stay out of the owner's wallet. The Camcordima triplets are very good at this and their sales numbers prove it. The Mazda 6 is the driver's car and the Ford Fusion is the pretty boy but both of them combined don't have the sales numbers of the Honda Accord.
  • Options
    quadricyclequadricycle Member Posts: 827
    That's hilarious! I thought that @skisurf1 had just written "S Coupe" as "Scoupe", but it is indeed an actual car.

Though fun to say, that's a terrible name...

• Options
    emajoremajor Member Posts: 332
    That's good because the seats in the last Sonata sucked, the ones in the gen before it sucked more, and the last Sonata was a bit loud on the highway. This car is an excellent Camry LE competitor, and frankly that is refreshing. It seems to be quiet, comfortable, and intentionally focused on everyday use and driveability rather than trying to get enthusiast's attention through a stiffened suspension and artificially heavy steering that most midsize buyers don't want anyway.
  • Options
    dfrissdfriss Member Posts: 23
    Life's full of trade offs. steak or burgers, lobster or shrimp, luxury hotel or nice motel. What you pick is based on what your needs are, what you like and what you can afford. The Sonata fills the gap of getting a comfortable, roomy car at an affordable price. Complete excitement behind the wheel? No. Did I pay for that? No. 'On rails' cornering? No. Do I regularly drive roads for excitement? No (besides my wife hates it when I drive like that). Kind of like hotels, the more expensive the hotel the more expensive everything is - breakfast to vending machines all for an extra pillow on the bed. I just need a good bed, quiet room and a decent breakfast. With the Sonata you get a quite comfortable car, low maintenance (great warrantee and little need to use it), lots of interior space for every seat, tons of space in the trunk, at significantly less out the door than the other options discussed above.