Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

I have an old 98 Avalon and want to buy a similar comfortable car. Advice?

Elliot UdellElliot Udell Member Posts: 83
edited August 2015 in Toyota
I have a 98 Avalon with 144,000 miles on it. It is a comfortable ride and the size is right. The new avalons have a stiffer ride and are larger cars. Any advice on a new car that is similar to what I have?

Comments

• isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    How about a Buick? That's the market Toyota targeted when they created the Avalon.
  • suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676
    Buick has gone in a different direction. Try a Chevy Impala.
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • texasestexases Member Posts: 10,708
    Camry XLE?
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Yeah, I'd give the Impala a test drive.
  • zandorzandor Member Posts: 67
    A Buick LaCrosse still seems pretty traditional Buicky, or at least it did when I lucked into getting a ride in one on UberX. I was very comfortable in the back seat. You could also look at a Lincoln MKZ. Lincoln hasn't really tried to go sporty. My mother has one and loves the thing. It's basically a Fusion with a softer suspension and all the toys you expect in a luxury car. I'd recommend buying used if you like it... they depreciate like a Ford with all the options. Also, pay attention to the wheels and options. There's an oversized (19") wheel option that trashes the ride quality. A Lexus ES would also be worth checking out. Looking at a couple reviews it seems they redesigned it for 2013 and made it a little more sporty, so if you want a soft and smooth ride a 2012 or older might be more to your liking.
  • Elliot UdellElliot Udell Member Posts: 83
    thanks
  • garye777garye777 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2002 avalon and want to upgrade to at least a 2008 avalon. Do you think there would be enough difference in the 2008 vs 2002? I really like my 2002 but want to upgrade if there is some difference.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,084
    garye777 said:

I have a 2002 avalon and want to upgrade to at least a 2008 avalon. Do you think there would be enough difference in the 2008 vs 2002? I really like my 2002 but want to upgrade if there is some difference.

Probably a huge difference. A lot of that is going to be the condition of that particular vehicle, though. A 2008 model is nearly nine years old.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Elliot UdellElliot Udell Member Posts: 83
    You have to determine when toyota made major changes in the Avalon. Why would you ant to go from 2002 to 2008. It seems as if you are going from one old car to another