Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Understanding the Convertible Impulse - 2015 BMW M235i Convertible Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited August 2015 in BMW
imageUnderstanding the Convertible Impulse - 2015 BMW M235i Convertible Long-Term Road Test

Our newest editor gets his first taste of convertible life in our long-term 2015 BMW M235i.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    thepuffthepuff Member Posts: 87
    I think it also adds to the exclusivity of each vehicle model....I have seen dozens of M235 coupes, but not another convertible. Unless you track the car, you barely notice the weight or loss of rigidity.
  • Options
    kirkhilles1kirkhilles1 Member Posts: 863
    It's all about getting the right circumstances together (climate, commute type, type of car), but when it is, it's quite awesome. I have my top down almost always on my Miata, only putting the top up when I have someone else in the car, it's raining (heavily enough) and temps below about 40 degrees (even wearing my coat). Having a great commute with the air blowing in your hair and seeing open spaces around you is quite a feeling. I'm sure many models probably don't "do it right" and I'm sure BMW overcomplicates it to an extreme, but I'd recommend driving around a nice day in something like a Boxster. I'm sure you'd quite get it then.
  • Options
    kirkhilles1kirkhilles1 Member Posts: 863
    I still would like for you guys to choose more convertible models when available.
  • Options
    s197gts197gt Member Posts: 486
    my wife and i bought a 2000 Z3 2.3 for her 40th. That led to my brother buying an '01 Boxter early this year for his 40th. Those led to my parents buying a babied '99 Miata mid summer.

We love driving them. The hard part is finding time. The best weather for top-down cruising is an overcast 75-80 degrees.
  • Options
    desmoliciousdesmolicious Member Posts: 671
    Best convertible driving weather is a hot summer night. Like what LA's been having for the last year or so..
    No sun beating down on you, no need to worry about sun burn (you can get sun burn on a cloudy day). Just the hot summer nighr breezes and the rush of the air.
    Reese, for the full experience, grab the keys of the Bimmer one night and cruise Sunset from Hollywood down to PCH. Or take a drive up the canyon road to the Griffith Park Observatory and gaze at the city lights.
  • Options
    desmoliciousdesmolicious Member Posts: 671
    ps. that photo of the BMW is not the most flattering view. The wheel wells seem mis-matched, the rear smaller than the front. Reminds me of the ugly duckling Benz C230 hatchback.
  • Options
    quadricyclequadricycle Member Posts: 827
    I almost always have the windows open to enjoy the fresh air, but I really just don't care for convertibles. It's just a little much for me, it costs more, it weights more, it's less practical, and so on.

ps. that photo of the BMW is not the most flattering view. The wheel wells seem mis-matched, the rear smaller than the front. Reminds me of the ugly duckling Benz C230 hatchback.

It's the red seats that don't do it for me in that picture... Styling wise, the little BMW works well as a convertible in my opinion.

• Options
    whobodymwhobodym Member Posts: 190
    wanna know a secret about the Pacific NW? It's been pretty good convertible weather, almost every day this year since March or so. Florida and California have it all wrong -- dry 60s and 70s is about perfect. and 50s are good too as long as you have a coat.
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Heated seats and you're golden. :)
  • Options
    darthbimmerdarthbimmer Member Posts: 606
    You forgot one of the other compromises of owning a convertible: reduced rear seat room. (Some models don't even have a rear seat.) But if you're childless and don't have to pull carpool duty it's rarely a problem. I bought my first convertible 10 years ago unsure if it was a wise move; today I can barely imagine not owning one.
  • Options
    dgcamerodgcamero Member Posts: 148
    I definitely think all convertible owners should adopt the rule my sister in law has for her 335i...if it's not raining and it's warmer than 47° F, then the top must be down. There's no other reason to own a convertible. Keep sunscreen and a couple of bottles of water in the car...and enjoy it! If you're stuck in traffic and it's 100°, put the windows up and run the a/c full blast.
  • Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,320
    Our convertible is seasonal. I don't drive it if the temp is below 60 when I go to work. Put the antenna in the trunk as soon as it got home when we bought it 24 years ago. I'd rather listen to the 5.0.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert