Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Overly Sensitive, Questionably Helpful Distance Alert - 2015 Volvo S60 Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited August 2015 in Volvo
imageOverly Sensitive, Questionably Helpful Distance Alert - 2015 Volvo S60 Long-Term Road Test

The 2015 Volvo S60's Distance Alert seems like a feature of questionable usefulness.

Read the full story here

Comments

• allthingshondaallthingshonda Member Posts: 878
    Alert system obviously programmed by Volvo's legal department.
  • banhughbanhugh Member Posts: 315
    edited August 2015
    The orange lights on the Volvo dash are not for the distance with the car ahead, they are an alert for taking photos with your phone while driving... Volvo knows!
  • kirkhilles1kirkhilles1 Member Posts: 863
    I don't understand that if we're "so close" to self driving cars why we don't have auto-braking technology. No lights, no beeps, just a sensor on the front that takes your speed, determines your distance and applies braking pressure appropriate as needed. You'd think it'd be pretty straightforward.
  • boffboff Member Posts: 91
    I think my wife programmed that system.
  • jeffm5jeffm5 Member Posts: 123
    I have a 2013 S60 with distance alert. Mine can be adjusted to set the distance before the warning light is shown. Maybe James just needs readjust that distance.
  • agentorangeagentorange Member Posts: 893
    "I'm not exactly glued to the Benz's bumper." Depends how fast you are going. Looks plenty close enough to me.
    "Well, in Los Angeles traffic, that orange flashy warning bar is pretty much going to be illuminated 97.9 percent of the time." If that statement read "97.9% of US drivers follow too close" I would agree. I don't recall anything about stopping distances or the two second rule in the joke that passes for a driving test here in NV.