Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Better, But Good Enough? - 2015 Ford Mustang GT Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited August 2015 in Ford
imageBetter, But Good Enough? - 2015 Ford Mustang GT Long-Term Road Test

Disappointment lingers with our long-term 2015 Ford Mustang GT.

Read the full story here

Comments

• kirkhilles1kirkhilles1 Member Posts: 863
    Again, its a $45k vehicle. A Corvette starts at just $10k more. I get it, but geez, that's a lot of money. How about reviewing a base Mustang Convertible next time? That'd be interesting.
  • allthingshondaallthingshonda Member Posts: 878
    The Mustang is priced out of reach for a lot of buyers. It's now in the price range where people are more interested in a badge or logo than the performance. Same goes for the rest of the pony cars. There used to be a time when the average guy with a decent job could afford a Mustang GT. Lower end models were first cars for a lot of teenagers. Not so much anymore.
  • s197gts197gt Member Posts: 486
    the base mustang gt msrp is only $32k and you can get it for 72 months 0% financing right now if you have good credit and probably. wouldn't be hard to find a dealer advertising them at invoice. the base model is better anyway. should be less weight and you aren't paying for all that crap you are gonna replace anyway when you start your aftermarket mods.

while i share mark's disappointment, particularly with the weight gain, it is still a hell of a lot of car for $32k.
  • mtnbiker8mtnbiker8 Member Posts: 39
    I've looked but not purchased the previous gen or two. Good but simply not refined enough in the areas that matter to me. Interior. Suspension. This is the first one I've liked enough to buy. Mission accomplished Ford. I've taken off about 70 of those 132 lbs. Installed loud exhaust, lightweight wheels and some performance bushings for more giddy-up. Still a good pallet to make it yours. And isn't that why you buy a Mustang in the first place. Oh, and Deep Impact Blue.
  • defyant15defyant15 Member Posts: 74
    edited August 2015
    Larger adjustable rear sway bar (Steeda, BMR) and Corsa Extreme exhaust (will also shed 30 pounds or so over the stock catback) should fix the issues you are talking about. I love my 2015 GT PP but completely agree with your comments Mike, the Stang is much more BMW like, extremely capable but less raw and def much more neutral. Those are the min mods I suggest.

Other mods like a square setup (larger front tires to help bring the rear out more easily) should also also be great! You will save another 10-12 pounds per wheel depending on the wheel you go for.

I have a few additional mods I plan on doing myself - Ford Racing has a new assembled handling pack (shocks, springs) that people seem to love and Koni is working on yellow dampers. Another part is the IRS cradle support by BMR and Steeda.
  • nagantnagant Member Posts: 176
    The same old PMSing about the Mustang.......last gen was too harsh and this gen to nice...WTF? And guess what? The standard V6 is a pretty quick car, period. Very few cars get that kind of power and style for below $25K. The Challenger is a clown car and the Camaro has a terrible interior that you cant even see out of. Ford hit a home run with the Mustang, again.
  • wheelmccoywheelmccoy Member Posts: 97
    " But if you're a meathead like me, you'll want more. Maybe a new trim level that yanks out some of that pesky refinement is the answer."

I can see it now. Base trim, check. GT trim, check. GT Premium, check. Meathead trim, CHECK!