Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Help Needed buying used car

carpersocarperso Member Posts: 148
edited August 2015 in Kia
There is a 2014 kia optima with less than 10k miles at a local audi dealership. It is used however not certified. I asked the sales guy why it wasnt certified, and he told me that the car can only be certified by a kia dealership. The group that owns the audi dealership also owns a kia dealership across the road. The car is listed under blue book value. I was wondering why they couldnt transfer it to the kia dealership and certify it and sell it for more. I checked out the car and didnt find anything too wrong with. But then i am not a pro at these things. Also the car used to be owned by the sales manager at the groups VW dealership who traded that in for a new audi. Carfax seems clean. Is the sales guy telling the truth that they cannot transfer the car back to the kia and certify it?

Comments

• Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,185
    carperso said:

There is a 2014 kia optima with less than 10k miles at a local audi dealership. It is used however not certified. I asked the sales guy why it wasnt certified, and he told me that the car can only be certified by a kia dealership. The group that owns the audi dealership also owns a kia dealership across the road. The car is listed under blue book value. I was wondering why they couldnt transfer it to the kia dealership and certify it and sell it for more. I checked out the car and didnt find anything too wrong with. But then i am not a pro at these things. Also the car used to be owned by the sales manager at the groups VW dealership who traded that in for a new audi. Carfax seems clean. Is the sales guy telling the truth that they cannot transfer the car back to the kia and certify it?

A CPO car is just a way to sell an extended warranty. So, they transfer it to the Kia dealer, slap a warranty on it, raise the price and probably make the same amount of money.

Either way, used car sales managers don't really care what happens at the sister dealership across the street. Maybe they took that car in trade for a low price, and he wants to sell it and show a nice profit for his operation.

No one here can tell you if what the salesperson says is true.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    Yawn.....yep, another way to get rich quick! Curbstone some used cars!
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    It's for sale at "at a local audi dealership."