Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Radio Is On the Fritz - 2015 Volkswagen Golf GTI Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited September 2015 in Volkswagen
imageRadio Is On the Fritz - 2015 Volkswagen Golf GTI Long-Term Road Test

Something's awry with the infotainment system in Edmunds.com's long-term 2015 Volkswagen Golf GTI.

Read the full story here

Comments

• kirkhilles1kirkhilles1 Member Posts: 863
    Maybe it's that ghost that did it. These types of issues give me pause at owning a vehicle with a system like this long term. It's fine since it's in warranty, but what happens afterwards? How much would it cost for the dealer to "diagnose" the issue and "fix" it with an updated firmware or whatever? We're stuck in an in-between stage where systems are no longer simple, but not yet to where they can be updated OTA and developed by a 3rd party like Google.
  • misterfusionmisterfusion Member Posts: 471
    He's right about not enough Kraftwerk, though...
  • seppoboyseppoboy Member Posts: 93
    Typical outcome we should expect with the current complicated entertainment systems. My BMW 3-series periodically has Acquiring Signal issues with satellite radio, the remainder of the day I am unable to change satellite stations, sometimes it persists several days. Dealer insists it does not show a code or an uninstalled software update, it eventually fixes itself. A friend with an Acura and another with a Mazda experiences similar frustrations, I doubt any manufacturer has solidly reliable electronics in the infotainment arena these days.
  • darexdarex Member Posts: 187
    edited September 2015
    I've had zero issues with my MINI Cooper's, with the exception of the fact that they've seriously ruined the CONNECTED App with this latest update. It was much better before! They'd better fix it soon. It's so buggy now! MINI uses the same Harman-Kardon NBT system as F-series BMWs with Nav Professional. Is that what you have, seppoboy?

My previous car, a Hyundai, also had a very reliable Infotainment system, although on very rare occasions, it would lose Bluetooth pairing.
  • gslippygslippy Member Posts: 514
    VW electronics = trouble.
  • nagantnagant Member Posts: 176
    A German car with an electronic issue? Say it aint so! My brother had a 2012 GTI that was, without doubt, the biggest dealer queen this side of a Mini. FIVE unscheduled dealer visits in the first six month with THREE of them on a tow truck. When it ran it was great but that was rare! Thank God he leased!
  • allthingshondaallthingshonda Member Posts: 878
    edited September 2015
    All cars are getting so tech heavy that this is not going to be common in all brands. Especially those that route all functions through the infotainment screen. Honda was so heavily criticized about it's button laden dashboard that the got rid of the buttons and replaced them with 2 screens. I loved the buttons. Absolutely no lag time when I pressed a button or turn a knob and the redundant buttons means that my screen is off unless I play my iPod or use the navi. I recently drove a loaner 2015 ILX when my car was in for service and it took me about 5 miles of driving before I could figure out where the hell the radio presets were. Keep in mind those 5 miles were mostly looking down and pressing the touch screen not looking at the road. In my old TSX anybody that has driven a car in the last 35 years know that the buttons marked 123456 are the presets.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Drove a Hyundai today that had a dial for the radio, a screen tuner, steering wheel controls, and voice commands. All kinds of fun stuff to break. :p
  • id19id19 Member Posts: 7
    "Boing Boom Tschak" on repeat should fix it right up.