Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Worst Air Conditioning Vents Ever? - 2014 Mini Cooper Hardtop Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited September 2015 in MINI
imageWorst Air Conditioning Vents Ever? - 2014 Mini Cooper Hardtop Long-Term Road Test

Our long-term 2014 Mini Cooper has a lot going for it, but the air-conditioning vents definitely need to be redesigned.

Read the full story here

Comments

• vvkvvk Member Posts: 196
    Very surprising. Mini is BMW and BMW typically uses a "draft free" strategy when the automatic climate control is set to auto. Meaning, the air blows through the defroster and bottom vents, not the ones in the middle. Nevertheless, this kind of vent placement is unfortunate. I guess it is less of a problem in winter.
  • jakek66jakek66 Member Posts: 60
    It's that stupid center circle thing that causes these issues. I know it's classic Mini but the speedometer isn't even there anymore! Make the top half vents or something like the GTI has.

This still isn't the oddest placement of vents - '16 Camaro gets that honor.
  • throwbackthrowback Member Posts: 445
    Ergonomics have never been a Mini strong suit. This generation is better, but style counts more
  • daryleasondaryleason Member Posts: 501
    I think the ones that you can't shut off are the worst. I had a 2001 Kia Sephia that you could angle the vents, but not close them down completely.
  • DebunkerDebunker Member Posts: 49
    This is what happens when style trumps function. Just look at that dash. Perhaps it's charming, but it's also ridiculous. It looks like a kiddie toy. For a much less juvenile template, just use the current GTI's.
  • jfa1177jfa1177 Member Posts: 52
    That would drive me insane. I'm bothered by air blowing directly on me no matter the situation; having it blow directly on my hands is even worse. The draft free idea mentioned by VVK is a nice feature.
  • kirkhilles1kirkhilles1 Member Posts: 863
    Agreed. Air blowing on you in something you need to control 100%. If I'm sweaty and hot, then having air blow on my forehead might be nice and/or blow on my chest. Other times, I don't want to feel it AT ALL. One of those small things that becomes a real daily issue because of poor design.
  • mlin32mlin32 Member Posts: 35
    Why not just close the centre vents?
  • darexdarex Member Posts: 187
    vvk said:

Very surprising. Mini is BMW and BMW typically uses a "draft free" strategy when the automatic climate control is set to auto. Meaning, the air blows through the defroster and bottom vents, not the ones in the middle. Nevertheless, this kind of vent placement is unfortunate. I guess it is less of a problem in winter.

MINI uses the same system. The author is delusional, or has the system on manual, and blowing toward him, exclusively. I use AUTO exclusively, and most of the time, I am completely unaware of the air blowing,, except at the beginning, when the car is hot inside, yet it works extremely well.

• ek900ek900 Member Posts: 39
    As someone who owned a last gen Mini...yes they had this "problem", and no I didn't care. The Auto setting cooled the car quickly, and yes, I care about having a pleasant, unique-looking interior. So everyone griping about that, go back to your Corolla and drone on.
  • tlangnesstlangness Member Posts: 123
    darex said:

vvk said:

MINI uses the same system. The author is delusional, or has the system on manual, and blowing toward him, exclusively. I use AUTO exclusively, and most of the time, I am completely unaware of the air blowing,, except at the beginning, when the car is hot inside, yet it works extremely well.

When I want air blowing at my face, I should be able to do that. Mini's design doesn't allow for that because their vents are behind the steering wheel. I prefer it to your AUTO settings and always will. Preference does not equal delusion.
  • darexdarex Member Posts: 187
    edited September 2015
    There's a manual-override option, and the center vents can be aimed in your face, or the left ones above the steering wheel, to your face. These things aren't that hard to figure out!!

It just pisses me off when someone pronounces erroneous judgment on a car that I own, and KNOW that the stated complaint is utter [non-permissible content removed]. I own this car, but you, by your own admission, have scarcely driven it.
  • darthbimmerdarthbimmer Member Posts: 606
    I like being able to adjust the vents to blow in my face. When it's hot or humid the breeze increases evaporation and cools my skin better. Those vents behind the wheel don't look like they could be adjusted to hit my face or upper body well... unless maybe I were 8" shorter and could adjust the seat so the wheel's up in my face.
  • agentorangeagentorange Member Posts: 893
    I think Travis must be very tall and/or sits way back away from the wheel. That will get the wheel in the line of fire for sure. It would help if the center vents were actually in the middle of the car instead of the one I can see crowding the speedo.