Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

From Open Road to Office Space - 1966 Chevrolet Corvette Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited September 2015 in Chevrolet
From Open Road to Office Space - 1966 Chevrolet Corvette Long-Term Road Test

We've had good fun with our 1966 Chevrolet Corvette. Sure, it's had some issues and has been in the shop more than any of us would've liked. But now we're preparing it for a true long-term presence in our memories.

Read the full story here

Comments

• ebeaudoinebeaudoin Member Posts: 509
    But, but.. Why??
  • texasestexases Member Posts: 10,708
    Buy a model kit, put it in a nice display. This is a waste!
  • cobrysoncobryson Member Posts: 110
    ...go buy a museum piece, if you're going to treat it like one. Don't take a good driver off the road.
  • csubowtiecsubowtie Member Posts: 143
    You guys still haven't even put radial tires on it and tried it. We're all still waiting to hear about that experience. And don't feel the need to stick to stock sizes. Just get some that fit, like every other early corvette that actually gets driven has.
  • nate001nate001 Member Posts: 102
    Is there a final road-trip planned for this car? maybe ship it out to the corvette museum and then drive them both back. Is the new Corvette going to go in the office with near 0 miles on it or will it be a long term car first?
  • squarefoursquarefour Member Posts: 24
    edited September 2015
    Lame. Seriously. Just lame. And it's not only because you're choosing to not drive a wonderful car, but also for the hackneyed, inconsequential reason you're doing it. It's just yet another example of the pretentious buffoonery running rampant in corporate America.

"Hey! Know what will look prestigious in our new offices? A couple of cars--both in good working order, mind you--parked permanently in the lobby for no good reason! You know, it'll be like what The Big Guys got...sort of like a little museum in the lobby...consisting of two cars...trust me, that's not lame at all. It's prestigious and artful! YEAH!"

Sorry, but that's not just lame, it's sad.
  • daryleasondaryleason Member Posts: 501
    I'm sorry. I can't imagine buying a car, particularly one that rare, and just using it for a display. Cars are meant to be driven and appreciated. I believe in restoration, modification, and conservation, with a mix of all thrown in. But I couldn't imagine paying out that sort of money for a running car and letting it sit. It's meant to be used and preferably enjoyed. Use the car. Go spend a couple of grand on a body-buck for a display.
  • squarefoursquarefour Member Posts: 24

I'm sorry. I can't imagine buying a car, particularly one that rare, and just using it for a display. Cars are meant to be driven and appreciated. I believe in restoration, modification, and conservation, with a mix of all thrown in. But I couldn't imagine paying out that sort of money for a running car and letting it sit. It's meant to be used and preferably enjoyed. Use the car. Go spend a couple of grand on a body-buck for a display.

Yeah, this has cost them my respect (which , admittedly, probably isn't worth much to Edmunds). Like I said above, it's not just the parking, permanently, of a fine automobile in good working order, but the cliche' of displaying it in a corporate lobby like a piece of sculpture. Any supposed auto industry entity that doesn't believe the art inherent in automobiles is of the rolling variety and best experienced on the move, preferably from the driver's seat, isn't one I can take seriously. Edmunds isn't GM with a corporate museum displaying their history. They're just a company with a couple of cars parked in their lobby for some reason. Wanna display a '66 or a '16 Vette for prestige? Personalize the plates into something Edmunds related, park it out in front of your offices during the day (when it's not being driven), show it off at events and gain the reputation as the corporation that uses a '66 Vette for a company car.

Anyway, it's pretty obvious to me now that Edmunds is more about the price of the automobile than the automobile itself. Not that that's a terrible thing, but it ain't for me. Makes me feel silly for sticking around after Inside Line was shuttered.

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    There is precedence.

• kirkhilles1kirkhilles1 Member Posts: 863
    Hahaha, makes complete sense. You guys wouldn't bother to get the speedometer fixed, you wouldn't get decent modern tires on it (and do appropriate track tests) and really seemed only interested in having it be something you could do photo shoots with. Now you have a near $60,000 display piece. Way to go Edmunds!
  • desmoliciousdesmolicious Member Posts: 671
    Why would someone put away a perfectly running car?
  • marmotkingmarmotking Member Posts: 42
    If you're parking cars in the office, permanently no less, maybe you could start testing other non self-propelled office seating. I'd love to see a long-term test of a Herman Miller Embody Chair. Is it really worth $1200, or should I just stick to the Costco specials?

How depressing will it be for self described "car people" to walk past two statically displayed Corvettes every workday? I can't believe anyone at Edmunds actually thinks this is a good idea, but maybe it's a very early April fool joke. In the 44 years since I first drove a 1950 Studebaker pickup on the farm I've lusted after cars and trucks of all sorts, but NEVER as living room conversation pieces, and I don't believe any real "car people" have either - discounting actual museums.
  • nate001nate001 Member Posts: 102
    I think a final road-trip would be cool, but don't have much issue putting the car on display (looks like I am in the minority on this). If at some point they decide to take the car out and drive it again then they can. its not sitting hidden in a garage and its not rusting in a field so it will be preserved if they ever decide to take it out and drive it again.
  • okseriouslyokseriously Member Posts: 8
    edited September 2015
    Rather than parking a mint condition, vintage Corvette in the Edmunds lobby, I have a better idea: park the 2013 Dart long-termer that mysteriously suffered a devastating engine malady, for which Edmunds has never offered a believable explanation (yeah, right, it was a spark plug. Sure...) lest they ran afoul of Fiasler's good graces. A dead Dart in the lobby would be far more representative of Edmunds' editorial standards.
  • metalmaniametalmania Member Posts: 167
    Gaaahhhh I can't quite agree with this. Keeping it forever is cool, but having it sit in a lobby forever isn't. Could you promise to at least keep it in running order and drive it a few times a year? There are already plenty of 2nd Gen Vette museum pieces, and every time I see one I just think how badly I want to fire it up and go for a drive. That's how you keep the fire burning for classics like this, you drive it out in the world and see people turn their heads and say "Look at THAT!"
  • daryleasondaryleason Member Posts: 501
    I just realized today that Edmunds moved the '66 'Vette to the previous car list. Forget the argument about whether putting it on display is a mistake or not...I just would have thought there would be a more substantial write-up for the wrap up.