Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

When Some Jerk Yanks Your Cord - 2014 BMW i3 Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited September 2015 in BMW
imageWhen Some Jerk Yanks Your Cord - 2014 BMW i3 Long-Term Road Test

The plug on our 2014 BMW i3's 120-volt home charger is broken. Rather, someone broke it for us. What a pain in the neck.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    prndlolprndlol Member Posts: 140
    Obvious case of jackass vandalism.
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited September 2015
    You'll see stuff like this in snow country where people plug their block heaters in overnight or while they are at work on a frigid day. People trip over the cords or they get tangled up while shoveling snow or someone will steal the extension cords often used. If that's not bad enough, often the outlet isn't working for some reason.

Induction charging would eliminate some of the cord hassle.
  • Options
    ebeaudoinebeaudoin Member Posts: 509
    I've always wondered about this. For as long as I've seen electric car charging ports, I've thought some sort of security would be a must-have. A code or something, or a key, or proximity from the remote fob or something. Anything.
  • Options
    desmoliciousdesmolicious Member Posts: 671
    No app to let you know if charging has been interrupted ?
  • Options
    markedwardsmarkedwards Member Posts: 32
    ebeaudoin said:

I've always wondered about this. For as long as I've seen electric car charging ports, I've thought some sort of security would be a must-have. A code or something, or a key, or proximity from the remote fob or something. Anything.

The i3 locks the J1772 connector to the port when the central locking system is engaged. But the feature has proven controversial in EV circles because it makes charger sharing more difficult. BMW rolled out a software update that is supposed to unlock the port when an L2 charger reaches 100% and shuts off; however, some owners report it's not reliable. FWIW, it works for me. The high-speed L3 CCS connector always locks while a session is active but that's controlled by the charger, not the vehicle. Still all of that is irrelevant in this case because it sounds as if the plug was pulled and broken at the wall socket, not the vehicle.
  • Options
    markedwardsmarkedwards Member Posts: 32

No app to let you know if charging has been interrupted ?

The i Remote app does throw up an alert when a charging session gets unexpectedly interrupted. Though I wonder if Edmunds uses it since it's tied to the owner's BMW Assist username/password and doesn't have provisions for multiple users.