Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2012 Honda Civic and Accord Battery Drain

2»

Comments

• treiss2234treiss2234 Member Posts: 1
    I also have a 2012 honda civic 60,000 miles the same thing is happening I will call corp... 
  • thecardoc3thecardoc3 Member Posts: 5,742
    souperman said:

(2012 Civic LX non-hybrid) I am having a very similar problem, except that my battery drain causes the low voltage protection circuit in my EPS to trip........ I have a Bluetooth OBD2 module hooked to my tablet and an app to monitor the car's metrics in real time,

So what does the ELD data display and does it change as you operate different accessories?
    Are there any trouble codes setting?
    souperman said:

Every where i have had the car tested at says "everything checks out fine" so i can't even file it under warranty.

Exactly where has this been tested?

• reliablehorsesreliablehorses Member Posts: 1
    2012 Accord LX: Bought it new, drove it for three months, no problems. The first time it was parked it for 3+ days (7 actually), the battery was absolutely drained - not even an interior trunk light bulb would come on. As could be expected, the dealer snatched the good factory battery and put in replacement trash (which failed 28 months later). Drove it daily for 2-3 weeks with the "new" battery, parked it for four days intentionally...dead battery symptom repeated. Back to dealer: they replaced an a/c relay or a/c switch to eliminate the battery drain. If you haven't replaced this part, park your car for 4 days and see what happens. Don't get stranded at the airport, cruise port, etc. Hondas were the best for 15 years excluding Passports and the 1990s Odyssey vans with Accord transmissions under them. In my opinion, from 2005-present the quality has diminished on this brand. 2004-up body imperfections from the factory, romper room interior feel, etc. They're still good cars but I'll never buy a new one again. A Hyundai is equivalent to a Honda now which wasn't the case 20 years ago.
    This battery problem has affected a lot of people. Hopefully the service department folks were able to build up their home solar arrays as Honda ignored dealer metrics.
    While a faulty AC relay can cause the battery to drain, its not the only potential cause. As people routinely find out, simply throwing a battery at a car when you discover a dead battery doesn't always fix the car, and throwing that relay at other Accords that turn up with a dead battery isn't always going to work either. Every car should be diagnosed as it's own unique event. But of course there is a catch, because you will have no shortage of people who will condemn a shop/technician for taking the time to do that if a given vehicle does have the pattern failure occurring. With any pattern failure, the diagnostics can become fairly routine to rule in or out if the typical issue happens to be occurring at that moment.
  • raider81raider81 Member Posts: 5
    I have a 2012 Honda Civic that I bought new in September 2012. I have had three batteries replaced so far and I already need another one. The previous replacements came from Honda but I was told that they cannot do anything for me because my 3 year warranty on the battery has ended. I have taken my car to the dealership all three times and I was told that they cannot find anything wrong. I have not added anything extra to my car that would pull the power from my battery. I guess I will have to buy this fourth battery on my own but you better believe that it will not be from a Honda Dealership. 
    How frequently do you drive the car? When you do take the car out how long (time and mileage) is your most common trip?
    I drive the Civic everyday. My job is 20 miles from my house one way. 
    Honda wouldn't stand behind this last battery. The woman at Honda Corporate told me that I need to take it to another dealership and have them check my car out. She wouldn't even admit that 4 batteries in 3 years is excessive. I buy Hondas because they use to be great cars and they would last, but now I believe I will have to look at other brands next time I trade. 
  • greifgreif Member Posts: 1
    Had the same problem with my Civic. Found that the charging voltage is low (11 V I think) unless a heavy load such as headlights was turned on. With the lights on it charges at 14.5 V or so. Did the same thing ECO mode off. Battery failed after 2-3 years. With new battery we now drive with the lights on all the time.
  • ziplinerzipliner Member Posts: 2
    Same problem with my 2013 Civic. Took it to dealer. They put in new battery-no charge. They did say that the remote starter draws power all the time. Also they quite often get in new cars with bad batteries so it seems the problem is with the battery manufacturer, not with the car. If the car is out of warranty it may be best to get one from someone you trust and see what happens.
  • dmd4lifedmd4life Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2012 Honda Civic EX and whenever I turn the wheel hard left or right, turn my high beams on my radio shuts off for a moment. The other issue is when I try to start the car and nothing happens. I have to take the key out, put it back in and it turns over slowly. Anyone else have this issue. I am battery on battery #2 and this one seems to be fading fast.
  • Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,953
    Are they both Honda batteries? Maybe another battery brand is in order here to see if the same problem happens? Just a suggestion. I had a 2006 Civic and luckily, never had battery issues but had tire and a/c issues. Civic's have always been great vehicles and surprised this is happening to a few folks.

The Sandman :)B)

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• Mike13Mike13 Member Posts: 1
    I am having the same problem with my 2012 Civic. In the past 4 years I've had the dead battery issue 4 times with two different batteries when leaving the car parked for few days. Just checked with my dealer and got the new cars have many computers and electronics running all the time. I'm gonna call corporate and see what is up. Good thing I keep a car jump starter battery in my trunk.
  • biochemwizbiochemwiz Member Posts: 1
    I've owned my 2012 Civic EX since 2011. I've gone through 3 batteries, in which my third was replaced 3 weeks ago. This fourth battery is already beginning to fail. Fed up with Honda's excuses, I let my good friend take a look at my vehicle (owns an independent shop in North Arlington, NJ and is a wiz with Honda). After hours of thorough inspection, he concluded fuse 29 (named "backup"), which links to the audio and navigation unit, is responsible for the battery drain. He conducted the test in front of me. The car was off and the key was placed on the car seat. He connected the testing equipment to the battery, with all fuses in place, and the testing equipment showed the battery was still being used, causing a drain. When he removed fuse 29, and conducted the test again, no battery drainage was detected. To further prove the problem, he took me from car to car in his shop, showing me how all other vehicles do not drain their batteries, with the same exact test. So essentially, its concluded the only way to salvage any battery in this vehicle, I need to remove fuse 29 every night I'm done with the vehicle for the evening. He printed the circuit diagram for me and traced the defect for me to show Honda.

What infuriates me is I reached out to Honda corporate, and was first told there are no known battery issues - a flat out lie. The case manager then became very rude, when I offered to fax over the diagram my mechanic prepared for me. He became even more aggressively rude when I requested to have the problem fixed, due to manufacturing fault and negligence on behalf of Honda. I was therefore reminded my car is no longer under warranty. Furthermore, I had to shell out $200 to have my recent battery replaced, and Honda refused a refund, although I have proof of the defect. Corporate lastly advised me to go back to a dealership to have the problem looked at again, although I already have the proof. Of course, they don't want to lose millions to billions in worldwide recalls. So, their game is to keep the customer going in circles. A class-action lawsuit should be started. Anyone know any attorneys up for the challenge? Anyhow, I have 11 months left to pay the vehicle. I'm already looking elsewhere for a different vehicle brand. I'll NEVER buy another Honda again!!!
    Ok. I will be on battery number 5 now. The car wouldn't crank this morning and I had to have it jumped off. I have had this batter for about a year. All 4 batteries came from Honda. I have also cut the Economy button off, but it is still killing batteries. 
    This isn't right. 
  • 81acooter81acooter Member Posts: 1
    My wife has a 2012 Honda civic lx nothing exciting..one day the battery died and I had her at auto zone..come to find out if she turned the lights out the battery would die when she locked the doors didn't take long.so now lights stay on 24/7 and the car does not die .how ever if the lights getc turned off the car dies with in half a hour .now one time I heard a clicking from a fuse I found it was a square fuse .don't know how to take it out don't know ifor it's the problem but when she turned on the lights the fuse stopped clicking.we have been dealing with this issue since 2012.we are not the riches folks around so we made due .2 battery's we have bought so far.but now it looks like the battery is giving out on us again .and I felt I'd post here to see if anyone can relate to my situation or can find if turging the lights on would help there situation .so please feel free to mail me if you have any input 81scooter@gmail.com thank you have a great day 

• jerisulljerisull Member Posts: 1
    edited August 2016
    i' ve owned a 2012 honda civic since new been through 5 batteries bought one not even ayear ago now having trouble with this one. i to brought to someone who also found backup fuse being the problem, so we installed kill switch so Idid' nt have to remove the fuse. Have been told every excuse from the dealer I bought it from, as the ones posted. wish a lawyer would pick this up for a class action lawsuit beyond p. off Iwould'nt buy another honda if you payed me . [Email removed]
    I am now on battery #6 for my 2012 Honda Civic. All 6 batteries were Honda Batteries. They still won't admit that there is a problem. Fortunately, I have only had to pay for one battery so far, but it is annoying to have to put up with this. I do not listen to the radio with the car not running and I do not have anything extra added to the car. Other than the battery issue the car has run great. 
  • geneleegenelee Member Posts: 5
    Wife's car is 2012 Honda Civic, we have had it for 5 and half years. Yesterday her car wouldn't start after work. Her colleague helped her to jump the car, she drove 14 miles back home fine. I called AAA battery service, guy came and tested both the battery and alternator, both are fine. This morning, wife started the car fine, stopped to get coffee, car dead again. Called AAA and replaced battery. Guy from AAA said the batter charging weak without the headlight on.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Well that doesn't give us much confidence in the AAA guy, does it?

I think you need to start with a clean blackboard here. Make sure the battery is full charged, and then have a qualified repair shop test for alternator output and do a load test on the battery cables. If all that checks out, then do a parasitic drain test. It's impossible to get to "the answer" without a methodical approach, eliminating things one at a time.
    Thanks for the input.

Car started fine today after work. Wife drove it 25 miles to pick up son from after school, didn't shut off during the pickup. She did stop for gas on the way from after school to home ( another 4,5 miles), car started right up after filling.

So, maybe the new battery hides some underneath problems.

Well that doesn't give us much confidence in the AAA guy, does it?

I think you need to start with a clean blackboard here. Make sure the battery is full charged, and then have a qualified repair shop test for alternator output and do a load test on the battery cables. If all that checks out, then do a parasitic drain test. It's impossible to get to "the answer" without a methodical approach, eliminating things one at a time.

Well sure...the alternator could be overcharging or undercharging...or you could have a small drain when the car is shut off and it might take a few days to deplete the battery. There are any number of possibilities here. Testing is the only way to be sure.
    Small drain is very unlikely the cause, as she uses the car everyday, I mean every single day. I will bet it's the charging problem. So it could be either the battery or the alternator.

She does make very short trips rather frequently, such as going out to buy lunch, buy coffee, stop by various stores on her way home, etc. She keeps the cell phone charger plugged in all the time. And she likes stronger A/C and heat. I guess very short trip with A/C turned on big could stress the battery to some extent.

Well sure...the alternator could be overcharging or undercharging...or you could have a small drain when the car is shut off and it might take a few days to deplete the battery. There are any number of possibilities here. Testing is the only way to be sure.

If the trips are short enough, a small drain could eventually deplete the battery.
    Thanks for the advice, I will spend some time hunt for drains.

I guess what happened yesterday morning was, the battery had barely enough power for her to start up the car in the garage, but she shut it off at a coffee shop only 3 miles from our house. So the alternator didn't have time to charge the battery more than what's consumed. Mind that we are in Boston, the weather was still chilly at 6:30 in the morning, so I bet she turned on the heat big.

If the trips are short enough, a small drain could eventually deplete the battery.

• bikedude1bikedude1 Member Posts: 1
    Have a 2013 Civic with frequent dead battery issue. Everything looked fine on standard battery and alternator tests. But problem was bad door lock sensor causing slow parasitic drain. Which you would not find unless you did the battery drain test with the doors locked. Honda dealer figured it out.
  • rocky128rocky128 Member Posts: 5
    smithb08 said:
    The girlfriend and I were having the same problem. Lost two batteries before we had it die a third time and the ignition was locked as well. At first the dealership claimed that the car was dead because someone broke into the car and damaged it and refused to honor the warranty. Then they took it apart, specifically the steering column. The mechanics discovered that the ignition was responsible for the slow power drain that none of their systems could detect through the computer. I didn't understand exactly why this blind spot existed but the short and the long of it was the ignition was sitting in a constant low intermittent draw state. Hence why it would die after more than 48 hours of sitting still. Since then, about 2 months ago, we haven't had a re-occurrence. We just left for a week and the car sat the entire time, started up without a problem. I have no idea if this is an isolated case or not, but it's something.

seems like i have been through the same problem. Every time go to the honda they ask me to replace the battery .
    I have 2012 honda civic which i bought in 2013 3500 kms driven. The battery drains itself so many times that i have to jump start it . Sometimes everything gets locked i cannot use the key to get into the car . Than i have to call tow company. Everytime i go to honda dealer they said no issues with the battery. But asked me to replace it once, which i did and now i am facing tge same problem. What should i do?
    I've owned my 2012 Civic EX since 2011. I've gone through 3 batteries, in which my third was replaced 3 weeks ago. This fourth battery is already beginning to fail. Fed up with Honda's excuses, I let my good friend take a look at my vehicle (owns an independent shop in North Arlington, NJ and is a wiz with Honda). After hours of thorough inspection, he concluded fuse 29 (named "backup"), which links to the audio and navigation unit, is responsible for the battery drain. He conducted the test in front of me. The car was off and the key was placed on the car seat. He connected the testing equipment to the battery, with all fuses in place, and the testing equipment showed the battery was still being used, causing a drain. When he removed fuse 29, and conducted the test again, no battery drainage was detected. To further prove the problem, he took me from car to car in his shop, showing me how all other vehicles do not drain their batteries, with the same exact test. So essentially, its concluded the only way to salvage any battery in this vehicle, I need to remove fuse 29 every night I'm done with the vehicle for the evening. He printed the circuit diagram for me and traced the defect for me to show Honda. What infuriates me is I reached out to Honda corporate, and was first told there are no known battery issues - a flat out lie. The case manager then became very rude, when I offered to fax over the diagram my mechanic prepared for me. He became even more aggressively rude when I requested to have the problem fixed, due to manufacturing fault and negligence on behalf of Honda. I was therefore reminded my car is no longer under warranty. Furthermore, I had to shell out $200 to have my recent battery replaced, and Honda refused a refund, although I have proof of the defect. Corporate lastly advised me to go back to a dealership to have the problem looked at again, although I already have the proof. Of course, they don't want to lose millions to billions in worldwide recalls. So, their game is to keep the customer going in circles. A class-action lawsuit should be started. Anyone know any attorneys up for the challenge? Anyhow, I have 11 months left to pay the vehicle. I'm already looking elsewhere for a different vehicle brand. I'll NEVER buy another Honda again!!!

• umokwhateverumokwhatever Member Posts: 1
    hey guys, i own a 2011 honda civic, i started having issues with my battery a little over a year ago and no one seems to be able to pin point the problem - after replacing the battery (so i have a fresh battery in) the battery is still going dead after only leaving it for 8 hours - my center console lights (radio, heater, gears) don't light up at night, although fortunately the speedometer and gas gauge light up at night -

my immediate solution to the problem is popping the hood of your car and detaching the negative charge from the battery when you shut your car off - there is no need to remove the positive charge as most of the power is being drained from grounding charge - you may need a little wrench to twist so the ring comes off, its super easy though, and you can pop it right back on in the morning - but this has ensured my battery wasnt drained come time to use it again so i didn't need a jump start

- the whole ordeal is a pain in the [non-permissible content removed] especially if you have to do this like i do everytime i want to shut off my car and turn it back on or leave it over night - but its a temporarily solution until the problem gets resolved!

Hope this helped! peace and blessings
  • jamieconway88jamieconway88 Member Posts: 6
    I had a draining issue with driving and car wouldn't crank after a few times. I brought my car to the dealer and they said it was fine. Then problem still happened, ended up paying money over a loose battery connection which was not loose and not the issue, and they say alternator and battery check-up fine in GR8 again. Long story short, car still died brought up to dealership, they'll pull an excuse saying you need to drive more, then as guy try to start the car it died in the service area. Finally, after they checked again, GR8 finally started pulling bad battery results and they did it twice. Got my money back and finally found the issue. Used the battery in my wife's civic and it was perfect, although I thought it was an alternator problem but it was totally a battery issue.

As far as battery update, try to get it if you can. My dealer said there was no warranty recalls and battery update was not found when he plugged up my car so that kind of turned to a moot point even though my VIN falls in the range of the battery management update.
  • bfcrosstourbfcrosstour Member Posts: 1
    Have owned a 2012 Crosstour since Auglust 2012 and hadn't had a single issue for the 5 1/2 years of ownership (to date, 39K miles) Have left the car for up to 3 weeks while on vacations and always started up like a reliable vehicle does. Well my luck ran out a couple days ago and the exact battery drainage issue(s) have now left me with no wheels for 3 days and plan on jumping it tomorrow morning and driving straight to dealership for resolution. For those not familiar with the now discontinued Crosstour, it is built on an accord chassie and has a hatchback. The 1st 3 years of existence the car was called a Honda Accord Crosstour. Almost positive Honda uses exact electrical on all three cars (Civic, Accord & Crosstour) experiencing this draining of the battery. My only ??? is why the hell did it take 39K miles over 5+ years for my drainage to start or kick in? See what Pacific Honda says in the morning.

Poor Tom B. isn't adding to his ring collection.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,217

Have owned a 2012 Crosstour since Auglust 2012 and hadn't had a single issue for the 5 1/2 years of ownership (to date, 39K miles) Have left the car for up to 3 weeks while on vacations and always started up like a reliable vehicle does. Well my luck ran out a couple days ago and the exact battery drainage issue(s) have now left me with no wheels for 3 days and plan on jumping it tomorrow morning and driving straight to dealership for resolution. For those not familiar with the now discontinued Crosstour, it is built on an accord chassie and has a hatchback. The 1st 3 years of existence the car was called a Honda Accord Crosstour. Almost positive Honda uses exact electrical on all three cars (Civic, Accord & Crosstour) experiencing this draining of the battery. My only ??? is why the hell did it take 39K miles over 5+ years for my drainage to start or kick in? See what Pacific Honda says in the morning.

Poor Tom B. isn't adding to his ring collection.

5 years? Maybe, you just need a new battery?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Civicgal29aCivicgal29a Member Posts: 12
    My original battery in my 15 EX-L was good I guess.  But I'm not as happy with the latest one. My old battery was fine until my Ex tried to start my car way too many freakin times one night and it just straight up died. ever since I replaced my battery, I swear my cars been a little harder to start a lot of times.  Besides that everytime I press start it seems to have plenty of power.  Getting it to start is a whole other story though. Every so often I just have to keep trying over and over until I can finally get it.  This week it's been struggling more than half the times. Like it started the first time every time this week (bonus!), but its gotta try way harder.  Normally when it started my first try, it only took maybe 2 secs. This week though, almost every time I sit down an press start, it just coughs/gags/stumbles forever until finally starting. Could be worse I guess
    https://youtu.be/3eicTKVkc4Y

Mine basically sounds like this guy's like half the times I go to start it.  Even though it's a diff year, you get the idea how it tries so dang hard and stutters a few times sometimes. If I had to use a key to start my car, I'd def be letting go each time it stuttered on me. Even in the video you can tell it sounds like it started until it resumes trying again (I mean like normal trying to start my car sound, I guess it's always trying)

Jess
    Update: seems FIXED, I got a new starter a few weeks back and it's been GREAT!  Starts like a dream every single time pretty much (like super quick, almost always less than 1 sec). After all that crap I dealt with this summer I can't believe I love this car again!  Even when it stuttered a few times on Wednesday (of course, Jenn was in my car and I was just saying how great its been lol), I did get a tiny bit frustrated thinking here we go again.  I told Jenn all week it's fixed, so it was embarrassing she just happened to be in the car that time.  it started after a few small hiccups and maybe 6 secs of cranking (and an unforgettable death stare from her like the entire 6s we waited haha).  Really it wasn't bad tho, everything seems quick after that bs in the summer and it was only annoying bc Jenn was there so she still legit doubts my car will start every time we get in😢

Now that it's better tho, my car really is my baby again! Annoyingly, my friends still love bashing it every opportunity they get, and they def think it's a POS after the summer we had. The jokes are annoying, but much less now that its better and starts normally. It's mostly my best friend Jenn that loves talking about it, she like really loves telling everyone the story about my car at the beach when that trip comes up (you suck I wish you stayed home in June, hehe). But whatevs, I would prob do the same to her hehe.  

Good thing is coworkers always drive me places now, so I'm OK with a few jokes. That started when people would joke about it as were getting into my car. So I'd tell them it rarely happened to me, and then like clockwork I'd have to try starting my stupid car for like a min and I found myself explaining push button start each time. I'm actually pretty sure people were jinxing it bc when they'd joke about it, I'd almost always have trouble starting the cat. The last time convinced me, since I was literally thinking this should be easy since Steve didn't give me crap this time, then he joked are you kidding, millenials can't start a freaking car with push button, as I buckled up.  That really pissed me off, and of course then it wouldn't freaking start either, I was fuming! Shhhh... My car can hear you don't bad mouth her please, she's sensitive and holds grudges lol

Sidenote: after my beach ordeal and about 5 others, I think honda should shorten the time our cars try starting. 10s is painfully long and few people (Steve) made sure to tell me that I was hurting my car trying so long. I hated explaining the push button thingy.  I even got into a discussion at work about it with steve and he told me to look in the manual before I break it.  I did that when I first got the car jerk. I actually rem thinking the "if engine fails to start after 10 secs" section would hopefully never come up for me 🤣
  • JJrealJJreal Member Posts: 1
    All these Electrical problems you can thank the Government for forcing all of the car manufacturers to increase MPG. That's right, they are applying pressure so bad the car manufactures are making stupid decisions to mess with something that's been working great for decades namely your alternator & battery. The technology just doesn't exist in a gas only car application to get high gas mileage. You see ,they are putting in special electronics in the cars computer in the ECU to only charge a vehicle at 12 volts on average. That may run the car ok when its operating however, it doesn't make for a long strong battery life. Not to mention charging up the batteries reserve power. Now choose a cheap battery line for your supply as Honda has done is a recipe for disaster. Never fear, here is what I did to get a work around to avoid all of the electrical problems listed in this forum for Honda. First get rid of that ridicules Honda battery, Interstate batteries are quite good & they are strong. Next purchase a Hondata FlashPro. You can use the Non Carb version to turn off the gas saving feature which will allow your alternator to finally fully charge your battery. It may not be cheap however, you may keep your sanity and dignity by not arguing with Honda managers & technicians not to mention spending time asking friends or people for a jump or spending a portion of your day towing a vehicle. What's your time worth? Only you know the answer to that one.
  • BeardamontesBeardamontes Member Posts: 1
    Same issue with my 2012 Honda Civic (with Eco-boost)/manual transmission. It's at 118,500 miles. A couple times over the past two years the car would sometimes almostt not want to start here and there. But then would start on the third or fourth crank and then it would be fine. Sometimes I would have to jump it though, but then would usually be fine.

But starting earlier this year when I started working from home and not driving as much it would die after 2-3 days. Finally bought a new battery and changed it, and by the end of the week it was dead again. Took it to a non-dealer mechanic and they claimed the autozone battery was bad. Took the batter back to autozone and they told me, nope it's fine. Took the car back to the dealer, and they said idk the car is fine it's definitely the battery. So I cursed autozone for not taking their bad battery back and got a new one from the mechnic for way too much money and heyyy what do you know that battery died after 3 days. So both batteries were fine!!! It's the car!!!

Finally find this thread and a similar thread on car gurus saying that it has to do with the eco-boost and that if you turn off eco-boost, turn on headlights 24/7, and drive a good distance every day then it would be fine! So I did that and it kinda almost worked!!! Until I drove all the way to San Diego from Riverside, then didn't drive for two days and boom dead. Can't even jump. So I towed it home and decided it was time to contact an auto-defects lawyer.

If anything good comes of it, I'll let you all know!
  • LCurran59KYLCurran59KY Member Posts: 1
    Beardamontes,

Did you get anything from the auto-defectes lawer Seems a lot of people are having this issue. I too have a 2012 Civic with this battery drain issue. Honda dealer kept it almost a month and couldn't figure it out. Even though it happened multiple times while in their dealership.
  • AVjeeperAVjeeper Member Posts: 1
    My wife's 2012 Honda Civic goes through batteries every 2 years like clockwork. The battery should last 4 years. I have no clue why the battery dies out after 2 years. Every 2-2.5 years since 2012.