Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Need to replace stabilizer/sway link bar. Can I do this myself?

mkarias72mkarias72 Member Posts: 29
edited September 2015 in Toyota
While inspecting my front tires, I noticed that the passenger side stabilizer link bar needs to be replaced. The top plastic/rubber piece is ripped out. I see on YouTube that it appears to be easy to change. Has anyone replaced them on their own? I know the piece is about $30. I don't know how much it cost to get it replaced professional but CarRepair estimated $140.

Comments

• Options

Here is a pic of what I am talking about.
  • Options
    Update: I took my car to get an estimate as my dad said although it is easy to change, the rust may make it difficult to change it. The mechanic looked at it and told me that I do not have to get it replaced at this point. He said that it is leaking some grease but its not a safety hazard. It can wait. He did give me a quote: $121 to replace that one. he looked at the other side and it was fine. However, he said that that sway bar link has the grease holes but it does not look like it has been greased in a long time. Told me to make sure I tell whoever changes my oil to grease it. Weird thing is that the left one is not the same as the right one and I do not recall that this was ever changed.
  • Options
    thecardoc3thecardoc3 Member Posts: 5,747
    The rust does make this more difficult if you don't have a good trick because the nut will seize on the stud as you attempt to remove it.. Using a cut-off tool, cut into the top of the nut right at the stud, angle towards the center of the stud. You only need to go about halfway through the nut while also cutting it the stud. Then use the cut off tool to remove the threads from one side of the stud. This will both weaken the nut as well as give any rust somewhere to be moved to without locking the nut up. By doing this it will come right apart easily.