Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dodge-Plymouth Neon Starting/Stalling

124»

Comments

• baretta77baretta77 Member Posts: 1
    hi my name is jr im having the same problems 95 dodge neon sport cou did you fine out what was the problem any help place ooo DOHC i did the same thine throttle body tps map help help....sorry about the spelling
  • floyd10floyd10 Member Posts: 4
    I have my fingers crossed, replacing the cam sensor I noticed there was oil leaking into it, havent addressed that problem yet, but cleaned it and replaced the cam sensor and havent had it die for a couple months now.
  • jesshold602jesshold602 Member Posts: 6
    hello all! this is the 3rd different forum ive been on on this site for several different issues with my 95 plymouth neon! well ill just get to the point. my car has been in and out of the shop more than ive actually been able to drive my car in the past 3 weeks. and about a week ago i was turning into a gas station and my car lost all power and died. i have NEVER had any problems like this or any problems with the way it drove before. for the rest of the night it wouldnt start, you could tell it was trying just wouldnt turn over. so the next day i wake up and try it again and on the first try it started like a champ! so i drove it around for a few days, made sure i didnt go anywhere far just in case and ran pretty good except i did notice when i was going around 35-45mph it would stutter and jerk forward a little bit. so yesterday im on my way to work and completely dies and shuts off again! i got it towed back to the shop, they have had it for over 24 hours now and have done every possible test they could and test drove it 3 different times. and my mechanic said he couldnt find anything wrong with it, said it drove like new and all of the test results and codes came back outstanding! IDK what to do at this point, so irritated!

helppppp!!!!!
  • pasinbypasinby Member Posts: 3
    Curious, has your car been running since all the replacements. the symptoms say the key code is not being accepted by the engine computer. If it has been running ok, not sure why it would all of a sudden stop. If you have it fixed, would love to know what it took.
  • axleyaxley Member Posts: 1
    look next to the air intake you will see a vacuum line on the throttle body pull it off start your car and see if it run . do not plug the vacuum line .If your car run's ok .trace the vacuum line to a switch that has some wire and two vacuum line hook to it remove the switch . replace it .or just run the line back into it self hook one end of the line in one hole and the other end into the other hole. hope this helps.
  • ejm3905ejm3905 Member Posts: 12
    edited October 2011
    I have a neon srt4 2005. car was running it just shut off. I have lights horn works.light in dash working. checked fuses and relays they are all fine. I will not do anything. no cranking nothing. can some one help
  • ejm3905ejm3905 Member Posts: 12
    edited October 2011
    I hooked up scanner to the car and got an erpr that means error. could it be the pcm is bad. it will not link to the scanner. The car is a 2005 srt4 neon. It was runnung and just shut off, I have power to horn, lights, dash, car does nothing.
  • neonlover1neonlover1 Member Posts: 1
    I had a 2000 Dodge Neon got 252,600 miles out of it before engine finally went. Loved it!! So I purchased a used 2003 Neon SE and it has been a nightmare this past wk. First 30 days it drove fine, made first payment and BAM! But here is crazy thing...my husband had just replaced the ignition coil on old neon so called advance store and they said it was exact same part....so hubby put new one on 03 car and troubles started after that....then today went to advance store and purchased a new ignition coil and it had a different part number. So my question is if anyone mechanically inclined can help is this...because car ran FINE before switching coil...did those different part numbers have something to do with the coils ARE different and now my computer needs to be reset because it has caused something to screw up in the electrical system? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
  • BIGDADDYHORTONBIGDADDYHORTON Member Posts: 35
    Good deal, I have found a lot of parts match up of the newer neons to the older ones. I enjoy my little go cart on steriods.
    Rob. Louisiana Neon Owner and proud of it.
  • louleipuslouleipus Member Posts: 1
    i just replaced the torque converter on my 2002 dodge neon, now it will not crank over. has power to lights, fuel pump, ect, but will not crank over. checked grounds and starter connections, all good. anyone knowq why this is happening???
  • dkroondkroon Member Posts: 2
    i have a 1995 neon and just replaced fuel pump it cranks but no spark i am getting ready to test cam sensor let you know how that turns out.
  • tigercbelltigercbell Member Posts: 1
    Ive recently had a a busted trans oil cooler hose that cause the reason for low idle and stalling that fixed problem somewhat i just need to flush transmission. But then not even a full month later im at a stop light and my car shuts off, it did this when i transmission leak so i put it in park and it cranks back up. thinking im low on transmission i buy more but i was fine on transmission fuel. i have full tank of gas. i turn key lights come on dashboard but no noise is heard. we hit starter and tried to crank but nothing, tried boosting but nothin! :mad: just checked fuses inside and out and all my #20 's fuses are blown! the inside are just burnt except 1, and thats the #20 fuse. i have had oil change, engine isnt locked up, there is oil in car, no leaks besides inside passenger under dash. have aprox 116,300 miles Any solutions will work.
  • neon10neon10 Member Posts: 1
    good after noon i am haveing the same problem with my 1995 plymouth neon have you figured out what is wrong with yours.. it takes a few crankes to start when starts it seams like it is out of gas when it has quorter tank you can emil me at kevin_messer@yahoo.com thanks for your time
  • ghosteater4ghosteater4 Member Posts: 1
    So as the title says I already said tested the starter they said the solenoid was bad so I put a new one on and tried to turn it over, all we got was a clicking noise.
    So cleaned all the connections and still nothing. Can't seem to figure this one out and running out of $$$ so if anyone has any idea what it could be I'd appreciate it :) thanks.
  • rwt1223rwt1223 Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2000 Dodge Neon that stalled while driving (It has 370,001 miles on it, yes I like my Dodge). Anyway, turn key over NOTHING, but panel lights up, so I know battery has power. My question is, does anyone know what would cause to stall and then nothing, engine acts as if it is locked up, Check Engine Light did not come on. NOW the security light in the middle flashes when I turn key over--Could this be a computer problem? I appreciate any help.
  • celarmiacelarmia Member Posts: 1
    I also had a 2000 Dodge Neon that was a great car. It had close to 200,000 miles on it when I got rid of it and bought a 2005 Dodge Neon with 56,000 miles on it. The 2005 ran great for over a year, approx 18,000 miles. Then it started cutting out and the service engine light would come on, but it would only do it occasionally. It did continue to get worse until one day it did it when I was on the freeway and it wouldn't let me drive over 35 MPH it was cutting out so bad and the service engine light stayed on. I drove it to an Advance Auto and they ran a diagnostic which said cam shaft sensor was bad. Part and labor was only about $85. It ran fine for a week or two, no cutting out or anything then out of the blue wouldn't crank one night when I came out of the store. It wouldn't turn over or anything. After about an hour it did crank up again. Once I got home it wouldn't crank back up. Still wouldn't turn over or anything. I tried jumping it off and it cranked right up but then would cut off and not crank again. I bought a new battery from Advance Auto (they deliver to your home and install!) and the guy also checked to see if my alternator was bad. It wasn't. After the guy installed the new battery and cranked it up and had me do that thing where you rev the engine for a certain amt of time to reset your computer, all was well. It was still running while I was out signing the paperwork but then it just cut off and wouldn't do anything when I tried to crank it again. He checked the connections, still nothing, so he took the negative battery cable off and put it back on and it cranked right up. Then before he could put his tools away...it cut off again. Still wouldn't turn over or click or anything when I tried to crank it. He took the negative cable off and put it back and it cranked right up. He said there's something wrong with my computer. That it was not resetting itself and that was what he was doing, resetting the computer, when he would take that negative battery cable off and put it back on. He said I should try to drive it a while so the computer could reset itself. I drove it for a while around my neighborhood and it didn't cut off but as soon as I parked, it cut off and wouldn't crank again. I took it to the shop where they told me I had a different bad cam sensor. They replaced it and let it run idle in the shop for a long time but then the mechanic asked if it was okay with me if he drove it home that evening to make sure it was not going to cut off on the road with me. He did and it did. Again and again. So he cleaned the computer chips or something like that. There are approx 60-100 of them he said, and it ran good for a week then while it was running idle it cut off and did the same thing again. Wouldn't crank, wouldn't turn over, nothing. I was at the airport and security offered to jump me off. I figured it wouldn't work but it fired right up. I stopped by the store on my way home, left the car running while I grabbed a newspaper...it cut off again. After a few minutes it did crank up on it's on. Then a few days later my daughter drove it and it wouldn't crank when she got off work. She called AAA. This time it wouldn't jump off. He got in the car and shifted the gear to Neutral. It cranked right up. He told her that those cars have a sensor on the gears or transmission or something like that and sometimes they think the car is not in Park so it won't crank. He said to try shifting it to neutral and see if it will crank when it cuts off or won't crank. It has worked every single time since. Whenever it won't crank or it cuts off, I just shift into Neutral and it cranks right up.. You do have to have the key in the ON position to shift the gear out of Park. I'm afraid to get it fixed. Scared they will fix that sensor and another will go bad. As long as this works I'm just going to leave it like it is. It does not cut off while I'm driving down the road. Only when I'm sitting somewhere with it running idle. Which I try not to do but some stoplights are 10 minutes long. Good Luck Neon owners. I hope this works for you also.
  • jcallenjcallen Member Posts: 1
    I have a 98 dodge neon 5spd sohc startwr is good battery is good fuel pump is working when you turn the key fuel was low when it cut off added fuel to almost half tank still wont start can somebody help?
  • armylife24armylife24 Member Posts: 2
    Question: I have a 2005 dodge neon sxt 2.0 liter. It runs for maybe 8 or so miles then it will pit and spudder to a stall. I can turn the key off and start it right back up and it will drive again for 8 or so miles then repeat the same process of spitting and sputtering to a stall. I have replaced the spark plugs. Plug wires. Coil pack. Cleaned the EGR valve. Checked th MAP sensor. Checked the TPS sensor. Replaced the fuel pump. Cleaned out fuel lines fuel rail and OHMed the injectors. Also cleaned the injectors. Unplugged the Coolant sensor. "Fan Counteniously runs." Checked for Vacuum leaks. Replaced cam sensor. Replaced crank sensor. and it still does the same thing. Spuddering to a stall after driving it for a bit. There are no check engine lights on. I'm pretty much stumped and dropped alot of money into this car. I also checked to make sure there was plenty of exhaust flowing through the back. So therefore i do not thing it is the cat either. Any tip's hint's ect would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. BTW i even tried the key dance and still no codes. Even though i do have a live feed data scanner. I am fairly good with cars. Any suggestions?
  • armylife24armylife24 Member Posts: 2
    I would start by taking the quick disconnect off the fuel line at the fuel rail and make sure you are getting fuel. If so proceed to next step by making sure you are getting fire. Pull your number one spark plug you can have a arc tester or you can simply place it by metal and ground it out and have someone turn the key over to see if it is sparking. "Don't hold on to wire or be where you can be shocked"
  • dsj1979dsj1979 Member Posts: 2
    OK so stalling issues with neons yeah!!!! plugs wires coil pack change them dont be cheap spend the money, battery terminals take the wires off and clean the things spend the money, catalatyic converter check it and see if theres a problem with it if so spend the money get it replaced finally check your air filter people could be plugged up go to a place to pump up tires take the air box apart and clean the air filter, change the oil its called maintinace
  • doggedjunkdoggedjunk Member Posts: 5
    Have u checked all your ground wires? Sounds like u have a n intermittent
    Ground that rattles in between two metal parts, hope this helps
    I had an intermittent stalling Issue with My neon, it Was so frustrating it made me sick, it would run Fine but I couldn't depend on how long It would run for, It would Run. Fine for days, others
    I wouldn't get a half mile,let it sit 20 mins it would start. Fine an drive for hours!
    Eventually I Figured out that there is a ground Bolt that u cannot see up under another Part on the drivers side of the motor, this bolt grounds three different electrical components at the same Time! It sits in between two metal parts making an. Intermittent ground issue !
    So my suggestion To neon Owners is to chase all ground wires clean and tighten to. Make. Absolutely sure there right! Took me twenty mechanics an two years to figure it. Out!
    Hope this helps everyone! Alohaa
    Check all grounds,chase them down nd. You'll fix ur problem!
    It's a bolt that grounds out three different components, but it wiggles between two metal parts so its an intermittent ground,!
  • cantworkoncarscantworkoncars Member Posts: 1
    I seem to be having a simular problem with my 96 plymouth neon SOHC. The exception is that if I let it sit for a little over an hour i can drive roughly 18-20 miles before it starts to spit and sputter and the engine jerks so hard it feels like it is going to jump right out from under the hood. about 3 minutes later i lose everything and the car stalls. It will start right back up just fine but the moment i put it into drive and go to take off it jerks spits and sputters again.. but if i leave it in park it idols just fine and even in neutral i can rev the engine and everything just fine with no problem.. it only occurs when it is put into drive and i attempt to actually move.. Any sugestions?
  • robox32robox32 Member Posts: 1
    Replace the catalytic converter and if you get the code for the camshaft position sensor circuit A, change the sensor then go under the car behind the motor above the cv axle look at the wires. One of the wires are exposed and grounding out. Cover it and tape or ziptie all the wires together. That's what all I did and nomore codes and runs like a dream.
  • dannygreenedannygreene Member Posts: 3
    I have a 95 plymouth neon. I bought it almost a year ago with my girlfriend. Everything seemed great but now the car is a complete nightmare.
    In the morning before work the car seems to work fine, but later on, after work(around noon-2) it doesn't want to stay on and dies out.
    It's stalling, horribly, and randomly. Htting a bump in the road causes the car to jerk while accelerating(just driving it in general does this but hitting bumps make it worse). And if we slow down to a stop, it stalls out immediately and it's a hastle to start back up because it seems to lack the power or fuel even though I have over half a tank.
    The previous owner replaced the fuel pump some time before we bought the car(we have the receipt) and we've had a new alternator put in.
    No matter what shop I go to, I get no codes when hooked up to a scanner, everything comes back fine. The only codes I've ever gotten were for the IA temperature sensor and the alternator and both have been replaced. My girlfriends grandpa and I put new spark plugs in and installed a new filler neck yesterday, as well but the problem is still happening.
    I could really use some help on this one. I don't want to keep coming out of my pocket to buy random things that "might" be the problem for my very old but loveaable car.
    I get a lot of "oh your fuel lines, or fuel filter might be dirty" and today a guy told me it could be my coils or my wires may need changing.
    I've used some fuel injector cleaner in my gas and all fluids are at good levels. I'd really appreciate some advice from other neon users.
  • dannygreenedannygreene Member Posts: 3
    edited September 2015
    Oh and I didn't mean that I bought a filler neck in hopes of that fixing my random stalling problem. The filler neck was just an example of another part I had to get that my car needed. The car doesn't ALWAYS and ONLY jerk and stall in the afternoon, but that is when it happens the most.
  • andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729

Oh and I didn't mean that I bought a filler neck in hopes of that fixing my random stalling problem. The filler neck was just an example of another part I had to get that my car needed. The car doesn't ALWAYS and ONLY jerk and stall in the afternoon, but that is when it happens the most.

As a former '95 Neon user/owner, I can tell you get rid of the car as soon as possible. They were built with about a 98.8% lemon rate, and will continue to just get worse and worse with additional age and mileage. The problems will worsen; they will never improve. Trust me.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • gentlebengentleben Member Posts: 1
    98 Ply Neon - began the 'stalling - start' problem a couple weeks ago. Have had it in the shop four times - they first found oil fouling contacts - cleaned that, ran a week, then back in when cam sensor was changed, same routine. Have had computer cleaned and repositioned, new EGR valve installed, cam sensors replaced, oil sending switch. No codes now - Still stalling - let it sit and it will restart. Thought might be fuel pump or fuel delivery but reading these comments there is only one haven't explored - bad ground. Have 310,000 all but 34,000 are my miles. Miffed as it is my daily driver. Want it to stop! What is causing this common Neon problem?
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Sounds like a lot of guessing going on here---stalling problems can be tough---bottom line, someone has to be monitoring all the modules and sensors at the moment the car stalls, to possibly detect what is being "lost" here---fuel, fuel pressure, air/fuel mix, spark, etc. Bad grounds could interrupt things like fuel injector pulse.

If your mechanics can't fix it, you might scan the list for a top tech in your area---these people are the best:

http://www.iatn.net/