Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Splitting the Difference Between Service Intervals - 2015 Nissan Murano Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited September 2015 in Nissan
imageSplitting the Difference Between Service Intervals - 2015 Nissan Murano Long-Term Road Test

Our 2015 Nissan Murano was a popular car this summer and we were overdue for service before we knew it. We split the difference between two service intervals.

Read the full story here

Comments

• kirkhilles1kirkhilles1 Member Posts: 863
    Oh my gosh, LOL. LOL. Come on Edmunds, I thought you were car guys? $226 for a cheap conventional oil (just $13 of that was oil and just $7 was the oil filter). What was involved in the "15K Service" for $166? I'm sure it was lots of labor doing stuff that was completely not necessary.

Makes no sense. If I owned it, it'd be $25 for Mobil 1 (+ an extra quart), both filters (which is strange at 15k - our Pilot's MM had it at 30k which even that is probably overkill) and that's it. Cleaning the Battery? What's wrong with your battery at 13,000 miles??? Cleaning the injectors?

Is this just how things are done in California? I'd expect this from a Grandma, but come on guys.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    The tester must be on a severe service interval. The Edmunds Car Maintenance Guide calls for an initial service at 7,500 miles with the second one at 15,000. Not sure what the manual says.

Estimated costs for a SoCal zip code for the 7.5k service is $49.57 and $82.13 for the 15k service.
  • ebeaudoinebeaudoin Member Posts: 509
    I was worried about the battery. Glad you guys had it cleaned :D
  • wtgkb8wtgkb8 Member Posts: 18
    Why is the dealer only using 5W-30? They are supposed to use 0W-20 for the 2015 Murano (5W-30 can be used when 0W-20 is not available or not wanted due to other reasons...such as cost).
  • diigiidiigii Member Posts: 156
    That is odd to see a fuel injector treatment included in the service package. But in the owner's and maintenance manual, Nissan discourages the use of fuel injector cleaner or detergent. Imperio Nissan got you there!
  • agentorangeagentorange Member Posts: 893
    edited September 2015
    The Nissan dealers have a similar "pile it on" strategy here in Vegas.
  • allthingshondaallthingshonda Member Posts: 878
    What is a BG parts wash? What parts are being washed? Why does the battery need to be cleaned? Every non-turbo car made today usually takes 0W-20, and it's strange that they're not using synthetic or synthetic blend. That's how everybody else is able to use light weight 0W-20, synthetic's resistance to thermal breakdown. And if you guys were willing to pay for all of that you should gone ahead and had them do the synthetic molecular paint sealant application.
  • lazio787lazio787 Member Posts: 5
    OMG. What are you guys doing? Have you read manual?
    1. It says 7500miles or 5000miles as a severe service interval.
    2. Engine Air Filter is due only at 20,000miles of severe service or 30,000 regular service.
    3. Why you need to clean a battery on a brand new 1 month old vehicle? It is usually done on 5 year old cars.
    4. Never EVER clean fuel injectors or even allow anyone near it for a new car! Never! Only when it ticks more than 100,000miles - then you can consider it. In fact manual even says it is harmful! Who puts detergents in a fuel injector?! Have you seen a fuel injector? It is a very finely tuned piece of equipment - DO NOT clean it. More harm than anything.
    5. Manual says 0W-20 and only if that is not available then 5W-20 as an alternative oil! Hard to believe that Nissan Dealer has no 0W-20! You do know that 5W-30 will cause higher fuel consumption and then you guys will be complaining on higher MPG. Gee. Was it so hard to just follow the manual and put synthetic 0W-20 since engine is designed for it? Manual, manual, manual - read the manual guys!
    6. Now the tire rotation that you really need - you didn't do? Nice! Bravo!

What can I say? All you really needed was a 0W-20 with filter and tire rotation. Should have cost like 3 times less than what you paid guys!
    Unbelievable! Are you deliberately trying to act like this or you were just testing dealer?
  • camrydriver69camrydriver69 Member Posts: 54
    edited September 2015
    What a rip-off. $200 for conventional oil, some filters, lubing up the doors, and cleaning a brand new battery.

Oil changes, filter changes, and tire rotations every 5k is also needless service.

If 30k is the real filter interval, they are changing it 6x as often.

Giant dealer cash grab. I am shocked.

I am glad Edmunds did the service so we can see how badly people get ripped off, although from the post it sounds like Edmunds is happy with the service.