Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Not a Fan of Screen Washout - 2015 Acura TLX SH-AWD Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited September 2015 in Acura
imageNot a Fan of Screen Washout - 2015 Acura TLX SH-AWD Long-Term Road Test

At a certain angle, the sun can wash out many multimedia screens, as it does in our long-term 2015 Acura TLX. The problem is that the TLX's screen displays more than just casual entertainment information; it also controls the climate settings.

Read the full story here

Comments

• allthingshondaallthingshonda Member Posts: 878
    So when Acura had buttons to control all functions journalist complained that there were way to many buttons. Acura gets rid of the buttons and replaces it with a touch screen and now you complain about the touch screen. I've always said that the buttons were better than any touch screen system. Want to change fan speed press the button and done. I hate having all functions in a touch screen because of all the menus and selections you have to go through just to do simple things.
  • hacefriohacefrio Member Posts: 29
    @allthingshonda: totally agree. The problem is Honda/Acura hasn't found a balance. Earlier models had too many buttons for esoteric features that can now easily be buried in software menus (A-SEL being an obvious example). The TLX has a button for Brake Hold, another feature that will be accessed infrequently that could be buried in a menu. But HVAC controls are high-demand and should have redundant tactile interfaces. Again, I just find Acura trying to be too clever inside this car, from the transmission select to this issue.
  • schen72schen72 Member Posts: 433
    My RL and RDX are from the era of having many buttons and I love them. I never found an issue with having lots of buttons.
  • emajoremajor Member Posts: 332
    "So when Acura had buttons to control all functions journalist complained that there were way to many buttons. Acura gets rid of the buttons and replaces it with a touch screen and now you complain about the touch screen."

That would be a valid complaint except other car manufacturers have figured out how to do buttons and touchscreens in ways that aren't irritating. It can be done and has been done, but Acura isn't doing it.
  • allthingshondaallthingshonda Member Posts: 878
    @emajor You're right, others have managed to do buttons and touchscreens. For example Ford's fix for the MFT is to add more hard buttons. Being able to use a button will always be better than any touchscreen system. My TSX is from the button era and I love it. Most of the time the screen is off unless I'm using my iPod or the navigation system.