Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Key Fob Malfunctions in Major Way - 2015 Jeep Renegade Trailhawk Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited September 2015 in Jeep
imageKey Fob Malfunctions in Major Way - 2015 Jeep Renegade Trailhawk Long-Term Road Test

Not even 3,000 miles into its Edmunds long-term test, the key fob stopped locking/unlocking doors on the 2015 Jeep Renegade Trailhawk.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    yellowbalyellowbal Member Posts: 234
    Is that a quick disconnect for negative terminal?
  • Options
    kirkhilles1kirkhilles1 Member Posts: 863
    Well, it's a Jeep, so what did you expect?
  • Options
    misterfusionmisterfusion Member Posts: 471
    Wait, so there isn't a central lock button somewhere in the interior, like there is in every other FCA vehicle I've ever owned/driven/heard of? Everyone literally had to lock their own individual doors just because the fob wasn't working? That seems...odd.
  • Options
    allthingshondaallthingshonda Member Posts: 878
    Yea, isn't there a door lock switch on the door that controls all the door locks? Or did the power locking functions break completely and it wouldn't work from the fob or the door switch?
  • Options
    okseriouslyokseriously Member Posts: 8

Well, it's a Jeep, so what did you expect?

Even worse, it's a Fiat.

• Options
    daryleasondaryleason Member Posts: 501
    This reminds me about the post earlier talking about Ford's Sync, how no one was complaining about it. With Chrysler, you have a brand new vehicle. Not just a Year-Model new, but New-New. Granted, it's based off a Fiat Panda, which has been out for awhile. But its just so par for the course that something on a Chrysler product won't work that no one, including the Edmunds staff, is going "It's outrageous that a new car already is malfunctioning." Chrysler doesn't have to worry about improving build quality, because they've managed to wait out the consumers to the point of "Oh, it'll start and go in gear, so everything is fine" (I'm looking at you, Ram Eco-Diesel).
  • Options
    iamthestigiamthestig Member Posts: 85

Yea, isn't there a door lock switch on the door that controls all the door locks? Or did the power locking functions break completely and it wouldn't work from the fob or the door switch?

It likely has a "Lock Out" prevention, meaning that it won't allow you to centrally lock all of the doors while the driver's door is open. This keeps you from being able to lock your keys in the car.

• Options
    gslippygslippy Member Posts: 514
    The fault could be in the Body Control Module, assuming it has one. This sort of thing occurred in my 98 Grand Caravan. It was expen$ive to fix out of warranty.

Now we know where the Edmunds Dodge Dart went - its soul now resides in the Renegade!