Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Tire Pressure Indicator Light

kkfreemankkfreeman Member Posts: 7
edited October 2015 in Lexus
2007 Lexus RX350 - Tire pressure light stays on; have adjusted the tire pressure and followed the instructions meticulously and several times to no avail. Thoughts?

Answers

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Check the pressure in your spare if you haven't done that already.
  • kkfreemankkfreeman Member Posts: 7
    Tried that and it needed air; however, after airing it up, the light remains on, even after going through the process to reset. The upside is I learned how to get to the spare.
  • thecardoc3thecardoc3 Member Posts: 5,747
    Did you try a full reset? Did all of the sensors respond? Being a 2007, you might be experiencing a sensor failure. The batteries would be just about to the end of their useable life.
    Checked the manual and can't find how to do a full reset. Can you provide instructions? What about those sensor batteries? Is that something I should be able to do myself? Didn't see anything in manual about that either.
    So how do I do a full reset? And if that doesn't work, how about replacing the batteries? Thanks in advance.
    The batteries are not serviceable, when one fails you need a new sensor. To test the sensors you need at a minimum a TPMS tool like this one. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AERMVYC/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_1?pf_rd_p=1944687542&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B008SCWXN4&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0E80TJ1ZZ91XYA16ZV1P

FWIW Professional level tools go from some $1400 and up.
    Okay...so all the sensors checked out okay; batteries are good. Warning light is still on. Any other suggestions?
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Can't you reset the light?
    I've tried several times....it goes through all the motions but stays on. I had to do it a few months ago and it worked fine. I'm following the instructions explicitly.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    How annoying. A reset has always worked for me in a similar situation.

As I understand it (Doc back me up on this), it's not just absolute pressure but variation between tires that might trigger the light?
    Hmmm....interesting. I'll check to ensure the pressure is the same on all, including the spare. Will let you know the outcome. Thanks.

As I understand it (Doc back me up on this), it's not just absolute pressure but variation between tires that might trigger the light?

The system triggers on absolute pressure. By design it turns the light on when the tire pressure is +/-25% or more from the specification. The spare does of course need to be checked and that goes for the system training as well. This video is for the 4Runner, but the Lexus is the same.
    http://www.bartecusa.com/toyota-4runner-tpms-tire-pressure-monitoring-system.html

Without seeing this in person and accessing the TPMS control module for codes and data there isn't much else that we can do here. It's possible that there is an issue with the system and it cannot receive the sensors radio communication. Unless your tool displays the battery health you really don't know if all of the sensors are sending a strong enough signal for the receiver to pick up.