Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Asking price on a Dodge van?

friboragefriborage Member Posts: 1
edited October 2015 in Dodge
I have a 2000 Dodge Grand Caravan, like 95k on it. Original owner, bought new.

It's got some body rust behind the sliding passenger door. Almost where the corner of the rear fender would be. They wouldn't pass it for inspection because of where it was. They said anyone with welding skills could fix it easy.

There is also a broken brake line, which I was going to fix, however the fuel tank needs to come down to get to it. I don't want to mess with it. You can get to it easy from the side, anyone with a lift would make a cake walk out of it.

Other than those two problems, it's mechanically sound. No issues with engine or transmission, I just had it on a long trip before the brake line broke. Clean paint aside from that area of rust... Dark green. Interior is clean, premium sound system, overhead console with compass and thermometer... Pretty well loaded.

I was hoping to get like $2500 for it since its relatively low mileage and the two major issues it has are not hard jobs for someone with the tools. Does that sound anywhere within the ballpark?

It was my dad's only vehicle he ever bought new. He's not with us anymore and I'm trying to sell it for my mom. All advice is helpful!

Answers

• Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,557
    Well, my standard is that I would not sell something with a dangerous condition. So at minimum, get the brake line fixed (really should not be hard for a pro with a lift).

the rust, that is a tough call. Can sell it that way, but at least morally should disclose that it won't pass inspection. So again, maybe get a quote from a local body shop about doing a basic quick & dirty fix, then get it inspected. a fresh sticker will be worth a lot.

if you don't want to mess, sell it to a dealer of some sort. Maybe a local PHPH lot, or someone that deals in cheap, basic, used cars, that is willing/able to do the repairs. Just don't expect much for it. maybe $1K?

also, where are you located? Makes a difference.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited October 2015
    Used cars aren't worth much, until you go to buy one. I ran your van through our appraisal tool, guessing at the trim (SE) and I'm sure I missed a bunch of options. The low miles are a big plus.

Otherwise, assuming the rust and brakes were fixed and using "clean" for the condition, you're looking at $2,000 for a private party sale. Dealer retail is $3,000, so you might get your $2,500 if you can find the right buyer. That's especially true if dealers are asking $6,000 for similar vans in your area.

I sold my '99 Quest a year ago for $750. It was dinged up, the AC had just died and I had managed to top 200,000 miles on it. Yours is a lot more attractive to a buyer than mine was just with the low miles, but the brakes and rust inspection failure are a real problem.

And yeah, where are you? I used PA for a zip code since that's the state I most often associate with car inspections. Caravans seem to sell better in the Midwest (that's where I got the '09 I'm driving now) - people on the coasts seem to prefer Siennas and Odysseys.