Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Crack Killed Our Windshield - 2015 Chevrolet Colorado Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited October 2015 in Chevrolet
imageCrack Killed Our Windshield - 2015 Chevrolet Colorado Long-Term Road Test

Somewhere between California and Wyoming a rock chipped the windshield of our 2015 Chevrolet Colorado. Now we need a new windshield.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    kirkhilles1kirkhilles1 Member Posts: 863
    After extensive research, I came to the conclusion to avoid Safelite as they often use their own branded, Chinese made, lower quality glass. Instead, I got recommendation from neighbors and got a small company to come out and install OEM quality glass for cheap. Its worth the call.
  • Options
    desmoliciousdesmolicious Member Posts: 671
    Why didn't Edmunds repair the chip when it happened?
  • Options
    s197gts197gt Member Posts: 486
    safelite will be happy to price out oe, ppg, or pilkington glass if you want.

regardless, it is always smart to shop around.

my company car got a new windshield from safelite using the "cheap stuff" and i can't tell a bit of difference.

After extensive research, I came to the conclusion to avoid Safelite as they often use their own branded, Chinese made, lower quality glass.

• Options
    phil160phil160 Member Posts: 7
    Lots of Safetlite "cheap glass" is actually made by them in the USA.
    Any yes, they will get you any kind of glass you want (you insurance may not pay the full price of OEM though so you'll have to make up the difference).

Many many "small shops" purchase their glass from Safelite anyway... Your research was flawed.
  • Options
    daryleasondaryleason Member Posts: 501
    Edmunds needs to invest in an autoglass repair company. It seems they are always cracking windshields. Even if their insurance offered the option of glass repair with no deductible, eventually, they'd cancel that option for them due to the frequency.
  • Options
    g35bufg35buf Member Posts: 89
    I can vouch for having Safelite install something OTHER than their branded glass. I had a windshield eating 2010 Honda Ridgeline (a poor design with a lot of glass below the bottom trim - 5 windshields in 70k miles from minor stone chips that crack almost immediately). Safelite admitted their glass was not a good choice in the Ridgeline (after the first Safelite change lasted 4 months). I tried Honda OEM - not much better - a minor stone hit and a 2 foot crack. A Pilkington was also finished off within a year. The ONLY glass that lasted and seemed to truly exceed the others for quality and no optical distortion was PPG. You can get any insurance company to cover the glass you ask for, especially if you let them know it'll reduce the odds of further glass claims.