Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

A/C Chills Even in Triple Digits - 2015 Jeep Renegade Trailhawk Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited October 2015 in Jeep
imageA/C Chills Even in Triple Digits - 2015 Jeep Renegade Trailhawk Long-Term Road Test

Even at roasting triple-digit temps, the 2015 Jeep Renegade Trailhawk's air conditioning excels in the heat.

Read the full story here

Comments

• dldavedldave Member Posts: 46
    Is that the temperature that is showing or the heading (longitude)? I don't know, but it doesn't seem like that is the temp display.
  • allthingshondaallthingshonda Member Posts: 878
    If you have auto climate control why turn it down to Lo. It's not going to blow any harder or colder on low than it would on 70 if the outside temperature is 118.
  • saxdoggsaxdogg Member Posts: 38
    It's the temp. Like that on all UConnect.
    dldave said:

Is that the temperature that is showing or the heading (longitude)? I don't know, but it doesn't seem like that is the temp display.

• misterfusionmisterfusion Member Posts: 471
    @allthingshonda - My 500L has a similar FIAT-supplied climate-control system, and I can confirm that it really does blow harder and cooler when set to LO. When I first bought the car I was disappointed at how mediocre the A/C was when set to 60 (the lowest numerical temp available). Then I discovered that turning it down one notch to LO brought out the icy coldness I was looking for. Once the cabin is cool, I can set it back to a numeric setting to maintain that temperature.

I seem to remember my dad's GM cars working the same way when I was growing up -- "Max A/C" wasn't just a fan setting, it really did blow colder than the normal A/C settings.
  • dgcamerodgcamero Member Posts: 148

@allthingshonda - My 500L has a similar FIAT-supplied climate-control system, and I can confirm that it really does blow harder and cooler when set to LO. When I first bought the car I was disappointed at how mediocre the A/C was when set to 60 (the lowest numerical temp available). Then I discovered that turning it down one notch to LO brought out the icy coldness I was looking for. Once the cabin is cool, I can set it back to a numeric setting to maintain that temperature.

I seem to remember my dad's GM cars working the same way when I was growing up -- "Max A/C" wasn't just a fan setting, it really did blow colder than the normal A/C settings.

If that's the case then you should take it in for being defective. That's not how climate control is supposed to work. It sounds like a software patch should correct the situation.
  • wtgkb8wtgkb8 Member Posts: 18
    edited October 2015
    dgcamero said:

If that's the case then you should take it in for being defective. That's not how climate control is supposed to work. It sounds like a software patch should correct the situation.
    Or it's working exactly as designed. The way @misterfusion described is very similar to how a 2015 Murano auto climate control works and is described in the factory service manual. The climate control is designed to never be at 100% capacity unless set at coldest temp (at 60 deg F) or at 100% capacity in heat mode (at 90 deg F). Any setting in between those temps will always be a fraction of the full system capacity. Granted...if it's 110 outside...similar inside...you bet the A/C will be working nearly 100% capacity... but not at 100% unless then temp is set to the lowest point.
  • dgcamerodgcamero Member Posts: 148
    wtgkb8 said:

dgcamero said:

Or it's working exactly as designed. The way @misterfusion described is very similar to how a 2015 Murano auto climate control works and is described in the factory service manual. The climate control is designed to never be at 100% capacity unless set at coldest temp (at 60 deg F) or at 100% capacity in heat mode (at 90 deg F). Any setting in between those temps will always be a fraction of the full system capacity. Granted...if it's 110 outside...similar inside...you bet the A/C will be working nearly 100% capacity... but not at 100% unless then temp is set to the lowest point.
    That's a really dumb design. If the car is set to 72° auto, it's 100° outside, and 140° inside, the computer should be programmed to run max A/C automatically and immediately upon starting the car, and not start slowing down the fan or reducing the compressor's capacity (or cycling) until it's about 80° in the car. Otherwise, what is the point of "Automatic" climate control if you have to manually adjust anything aside from your desired temperature or possibly the recirculate button if needed? I've never been in a GM or Ford product where I felt the need to adjust the temperature from 73° or 72° auto, nor touch the fan. The Ford did not automatically recirculate, however...except on max a/c, but you can set the temperature as desired on its max a/c as well. So it operated mostly as a fully automated system should.
  • wtgkb8wtgkb8 Member Posts: 18
    I wouldn't call it dumb...but I also think it would be better to run a full capacity at first like you describe. However...from my experience in 100+deg wx this summer in my 2015 Murano...I keep my temp set to 72 all the time in Auto Mode. Even though it was never at 100% cold (blend door at 100% cold side as described in factory technical service manual)...it never took long at all to cool the cabin to desired temp...using 100% fan speed the computer used to reach set temp. So...I never really noticed an issue myself with the design