Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2015 Honda CR-V Prices Paid and Buying Experiences

Comments

• travtvotravtvo Member Posts: 5
    Hi,

I am looking to purchase a new Honda CR-V, preferably the EX AWD model in Wichita, KS. When I went to the dealership, the sticker price was $27,675. Before that, I went on Edmunds to research on the invoice price, and noted that the invoice price is around $25,500. I did some calculations, with taxes (7.5%) and everything added, should come around $28,700 for the OTD price. What price should I offer to the dealership so I can get a good deal? Any advice, recommendation, opinions would be much appreciated !
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    maryhad said:

Hi Everyone,

I am looking to buy my first Honda CR-V EX AWD (White Diamond Pearl) in Long Island (NYC). Dealer is offering me the below. Should I take it?

Check out these recent "Long Island" posts here and here.
    edited October 2015
    travtvo said:

Hi,

I am looking to purchase a new Honda CR-V, preferably the EX AWD model in Wichita, KS. When I went to the dealership, the sticker price was $27,675. Before that, I went on Edmunds to research on the invoice price, and noted that the invoice price is around $25,500. I did some calculations, with taxes (7.5%) and everything added, should come around $28,700 for the OTD price. What price should I offer to the dealership so I can get a good deal? Any advice, recommendation, opinions would be much appreciated !

No idea on your market there in Kansas but I'd whack $1,500 off invoice and figure the OTD price from there. Or let the dealer move first and ask for some OTD quotes.

btw, I come up with $26,031 invoice for an EX AWD - that number includes the destination.

stever said:

travtvo said:

Hi,

No idea on your market there in Kansas but I'd whack $1,500 off invoice and figure the OTD price from there. Or let the dealer move first and ask for some OTD quotes.

btw, I come up with $26,031 invoice for an EX AWD - that number includes the destination.

The invoice price I mentioned above does not include the destination fee. So $25,500 + $880 should be around $26,380. I was a couple of hundred dollars off, haha.

So since the invoice is around $26,031 (including destination fees) and if I take $1,500 off, I would get around $24,531. With some more calculations with taxes, and everything. I should get around $26,770 for the OTD price.

I will email the dealership and keep everyone updated on here! Thank you !

That sounds like a good starting point and maybe a dealer or two will counter close to your target. Good luck!
  • ms_martinezms_martinez Member Posts: 3
    edited October 2015
    Hello all! I am in California. I am new here and would like some advice on purchasing a 2015 CR-V. I am a young 30 year old woman and want to go in there educated and get the best deal. What advice can you offer?

I am currently just researching prices. My local Honda has offered me a 2015 LX for $21,791. I believe the online price was about $24,000. I plan on purchasing within 3 months. I understand I have challenged credit so I am getting a solid down payment together. Also, I have a 2008 VW Beetle to trade that I still owe on.

Thanks in advance!
  • MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,042

Hello all! I am in California. I am new here and would like some advice on purchasing a 2015 CR-V. I am a young 30 year old woman and want to go in there educated and get the best deal. What advice can you offer?

I am currently just researching prices. My local Honda has offered me a 2015 LX for $21,791. I believe the online price was about $24,000. I plan on purchasing within 3 months. I understand I have challenged credit so I am getting a solid down payment together. Also, I have a 2008 VW Beetle to trade that I still owe on.

Thanks in advance!

The best advice I can give you is to collect as much information about the transaction as you can ... price for the new vehicle, the value of your trade in, and how much you owe on it. That way, the dealer won't be able to manipulate the numbers to their advantage.

I would also suggest you work to get pre-qualified for a loan.

Be advised, the 2015 CR-V's are becoming scarce. If you wait any longer, you may not be able to find the trim level or color you want.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

Michaell said:
    Hello all! I am in California. I am new here and would like some advice on purchasing a 2015 CR-V. I am a young 30 year old woman and want to go in there educated and get the best deal. What advice can you offer? I am currently just researching prices. My local Honda has offered me a 2015 LX for $21,791. I believe the online price was about $24,000. I plan on purchasing within 3 months. I understand I have challenged credit so I am getting a solid down payment together. Also, I have a 2008 VW Beetle to trade that I still owe on. Thanks in advance!
    The best advice I can give you is to collect as much information about the transaction as you can ... price for the new vehicle, the value of your trade in, and how much you owe on it. That way, the dealer won't be able to manipulate the numbers to their advantage. I would also suggest you work to get pre-qualified for a loan. Be advised, the 2015 CR-V's are becoming scarce. If you wait any longer, you may not be able to find the trim level or color you want.
    Thank you for the help! 
    Michaell said:
    Hello all! I am in California. I am new here and would like some advice on purchasing a 2015 CR-V. I am a young 30 year old woman and want to go in there educated and get the best deal. What advice can you offer? I am currently just researching prices. My local Honda has offered me a 2015 LX for $21,791. I believe the online price was about $24,000. I plan on purchasing within 3 months. I understand I have challenged credit so I am getting a solid down payment together. Also, I have a 2008 VW Beetle to trade that I still owe on. Thanks in advance!
    The best advice I can give you is to collect as much information about the transaction as you can ... price for the new vehicle, the value of your trade in, and how much you owe on it. That way, the dealer won't be able to manipulate the numbers to their advantage. I would also suggest you work to get pre-qualified for a loan. Be advised, the 2015 CR-V's are becoming scarce. If you wait any longer, you may not be able to find the trim level or color you want.
    Where is the best place to look to pre qualify? Any banks? 
    stever said:

That sounds like a good starting point and maybe a dealer or two will counter close to your target. Good luck!

So I emailed around a couple of dealerships around my state since there is only one dealership in my city (Wichita, KS), and most of the time, their prices are overpriced. A dealership in Kansas City (three hours away from my area) emailed me back with a price of $25,500 before taxes and all the fees. I contacted a dealership in Hutchinson (which is around 1 hour from where I live), and they said they would match that price.

What should I do? Should I wait for the dealership in my area to lower their price when the 2016 CR-Vs start coming in? The price that I received is still $1000 above the price I came up with.

Any recommendation or advice would be much appreciated !
  • rk_6600rk_6600 Member Posts: 1
    Guys ,need some help for my first new car.

I am planning to buy 2015 crv EX-L in next couple of weeks,I have a pre approved auto loan.

I have started contacting dealers here in Dallas but not yet visited them personally.
    I can see from previous posts that $28000 OTD is a good price for Dallas market,can I expect to reduce more as the 2016 model is out there.?
    edited October 2015

Where is the best place to look to pre qualify? Any banks? 

There's some online banks that can give you quotes (we have some lenders advertising here).

Or a local bank or credit union can quote you too. Better quotes are likely from a credit union but you may have to join one.

It's really just to give you ammo and tell you where you stand with your credit score. Dealers can almost always beat a bank quote - they make money on putting loan packages together, so if you don't know your best rate you qualify for, some dealers will bump the rate up and make money on the difference. But they still will make money after beating your quote.
    edited October 2015
    travtvo said:

What should I do? Should I wait for the dealership in my area to lower their price when the 2016 CR-Vs start coming in? The price that I received is still $1000 above the price I came up with.

I'm in a smaller town than you (100k) and it can be tough. I think the local dealers know they'll lose some business to the surrounding dealers but they'll still get your warranty dollars and perhaps your service money too. They know that some people just want the reassurance of having someone local to talk to or don't want the hassle of driving a couple of hours, especially when the deal may be "different" once you take a drive. The arrival of the 2016s may not make much difference to them, unless they need to make quota perhaps. So yeah, let the locals have a shot at your deal and if it's within a couple hundred bucks, it may be worth it.

Otherwise, nothing wrong with going to Kansas City, picking up a new car and enjoying some BBQ. Just try to firm up the deal beforehand as much as possible - numbers in writing with your email, a specific VIN with a specific car, verify that the car is still there before you leave home. Going the hour to Hutch would be better yet.

Even after all that, it helps if you can walk out if something doesn't feel right in KC or Hutchinson. Hutchinson is really a small town - that dealer probably really enjoys taking business from the big boys. ;)

Another issue right now is that inventory is shrinking so your selection of 2015s may not be to your liking much longer.
    edited October 2015
    rk_6600 said:

I can see from previous posts that $28000 OTD is a good price for Dallas market,can I expect to reduce more as the 2016 model is out there.?

My guess is that the bigger market area in Dallas will mean better deals on leftover 2015s. But Texas seems to be an odd market for CR-Vs, maybe because it's such a truck and big SUV state (King Ranches and Suburbans). Dunno, I get to Texas some but I don't have a handle on car deals there. Surprised me to learn that the biggest Hyundai dealer in TX is in El Paso.

Try getting some quotes and run them by the forum. It helps us to know what the selling price is before taxes, and remember that any doc fee over $50 is too high.
  • hondaretailerhondaretailer Member Posts: 33
    travtvo said:

stever said:

So I emailed around a couple of dealerships around my state since there is only one dealership in my city (Wichita, KS), and most of the time, their prices are overpriced. A dealership in Kansas City (three hours away from my area) emailed me back with a price of $25,500 before taxes and all the fees. I contacted a dealership in Hutchinson (which is around 1 hour from where I live), and they said they would match that price.

Any recommendation or advice would be much appreciated !
    Some markets just don't allow for the kind of pricing you see posted here, your market doesn't offer much in the way of competition so there's no incentive for a dealer to price their inventory so aggressively. If there were 20 dealers within a two hour drive, like you see up and down the eastern seaboard, you'd find much more aggressive quotes. It's the same with the Twin Cities; we get people all the time telling us they got a ridiculas quote from a Chicago dealer and they want us to match it, we don't.
  • boyflyboyfly Member Posts: 23
    You will not find a doc fee in the Dallas/Ft. Worth market less than 123
    That's when you ignore the fees, total up the price and taxes and negotiate on that out the door number. You don't care how they allocate your money when you do that.

Helps in here to know the selling price before taxes and fees though, since they vary so much.
    stever said:

travtvo said:

Another issue right now is that inventory is shrinking so your selection of 2015s may not be to your liking much longer.
    So I made some emails and calls. Here's what happened.

The dealership in Hutchinson, as I mentioned, is willing to meet me at $25,500 for the CR-V EX AWD before taxes. I asked for the OTD, and the salesman text me back at around $28,019.99. I'm going to ask him a breakdown of his number.

As for the dealership in my local area, the sales manager told me that he would not give me an OTD price since I will never be happy with his price (What?). He would like to know what I am willing to do, and he'll let me know if he can do it or not. Before, I did make an offer for $26,000 OTD, and he said no, so maybe my offer was too low? I told him that I received an offer of $25,500 from a dealership in Kansas City, and he told me to just come in to make him an offer. I don't know, I feel like I might not like him when I try to negotiate with him in person. Everything I mentioned has been done through texting and emailing.

I'm not sure whether I should just go out there, and see what's going on,

You've been such great help ! I'm glad I can go online and be able to seek for experienced advises ! Any advice would be greatly appreciated !

Hm, well, it's easy enough to print up your email showing the price ($28 OTD?) and swing by the store. If the dealer doesn't believe you, that's their lost opportunity I guess. Your best negotiating tool is your feet. Or however you'd say that grammatically. :)

Thanks for the kind words - you can also talk to our Live Help team in real time (or chat or tweet) every day of the week from 8 to 5 Pacific time. That's often faster than the forum. And it's free.

Here's the contact page with the toll-free number and text info.
  • seand_051985seand_051985 Member Posts: 3
    edited October 2015
    I have been quoted $23050 for LX and 25550 for EX. With 2016 being annouced, I am debating if I should just wait for 2016s. Not sure how widespread vibration issue is but it concerns me. Any suggestions?
    edited October 2015
    My feeling is to wait unless you find a killer deal on a 2015. There may not be many changes or fixes, but if the price difference between a 2016 and a year end model isn't much different at your area dealers, the resale may make up for the extra cost. Of course, I drive them forever so resale isn't really on my radar. Since I buy so rarely I want the very latest and greatest since it may be a decade before I jump in again.

If your timing is good you may have opportunity to test drive both on the same day, but 2015 inventory may disappear before that.
    Is there a date on when the 2016 will appear at the dealerships?
    Supposedly some dealers already have them, but it could be that they just have VINs and are pre-selling them on their websites. Like Inver Grove up in MN - they show 8 in their inventory search. Whether they physically have them is another story.

Anyone spotted a 2016 in the wild?
  • gonpau1gonpau1 Member Posts: 8
    Hello everyone, can you tell me if this is a good deal or should I lower it? I'm in Miami,FL
    2015 Honda CRV EX Urban Titanium

MSRP. $26,425.00
    Preferred Customer Discount. $2,425.00

SELLING PRICE. $24,000.00

Title Charge. $98.75
    APP. $0.00
    wheel locks. $0.00
    TPP. $0.00
    Trade. $0.00
    Dealer Fees. $699.95
    Fla - Tire and Bat Fee. $8.50

SUB TOTAL. $24,807.20
    Sales Tax. $1,488.43
    Trade Payoff. $0.00
    S/Chg Dade $50.00
    Est. Tag transfer. (Add $200 New tag). $200.00

Total Delivered Price. $26,545.63

Details of the charges are:

Florida Battery and Tire Fee: $8.50 mandatory for Florida
    Dealer Service Fee: $699.95 This charge represents costs and profits to the Seller/Dealer for the items such as inspecting, cleaning and adjusting new and used vehicles and preparing documents related to the sale.
    FL. Sales Tax: 6%, Dade county residents add $50, Palm Beach County Residents add $25
    Tag and Title: $200 Transfer Tag, $400 New Tag, $98.75 Title Charge
  • sdasda Member Posts: 6,977
    boyfly said:

You will not find a doc fee in the Dallas/Ft. Worth market less than 123

Admin/doc fees around here have gotten out of hand. They typically run $599-999. That is just too much!

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• brian125brian125 Member Posts: 5,244
    edited October 2015
    @gonpau1

Invoice w/ dest charge on the ex model = 24,867 If you cant lower this deal........... walk away

23 Telluride SX-P X-Line, 23 Camry XSE

• janseattlejanseattle Member Posts: 1
    Hi All, Just wondering if anyone has purchased in the Seattle area recently? Am looking at a 2015 CRV AWD Touring and wanted to see if $1,500 to $2,000 below invoice is realistic in this area. Thank you!
  • hondaretailerhondaretailer Member Posts: 33
    stever said:

Supposedly some dealers already have them, but it could be that they just have VINs and are pre-selling them on their websites. Like Inver Grove up in MN - they show 8 in their inventory search. Whether they physically have them is another story.

Anyone spotted a 2016 in the wild?

According to the locate tool, Inver Grove has one on-hand and my dealership has several in-transit. Most dealers show the vehicles on their websites once Honda invoices for the vehicle, usually once it's assigned "in-transit". Heck, my website shows 14 in stock, they just haven't hit the ground yet. Perhaps early next week? ;)
    Getting closer. :)
    stever said:

Hm, well, it's easy enough to print up your email showing the price ($28 OTD?) and swing by the store. If the dealer doesn't believe you, that's their lost opportunity I guess. Your best negotiating tool is your feet. Or however you'd say that grammatically. :)

Thanks for the kind words - you can also talk to our Live Help team in real time (or chat or tweet) every day of the week from 8 to 5 Pacific time. That's often faster than the forum. And it's free.

Here's the contact page with the toll-free number and text info.

So the sales manager from Kansas City really wants to sell me the CR-V EX AWD in any color in his inventory for $27,700 OTD.

I went to the dealership in my area, and they would not match that price, but asked for $28,000 OTD, and the sales manager there even said that if I want to save $300, go ahead and go up there. Man, this dude is mean ! So I just left. He even mentioned that the $28,000 is a very good deal, and it was only for today.

So I contacted the salesman in Hutchinson, and they agreed to beat the price from Kansas City with the OTD of $27,400. I might have to drive an hour, but I don't actually mind that at all.

So that's what happened, it seems like the many dealerships in my area are very mean, and do not value customer service.

Thanks again for all the help ! But if there's any more recommendations, or help, or advises, I would love to hear from you !

Drive a little, save a lot. :)

What else - avoid the upsells when you go to pay (paint protection, etching, etc.) and try to pick up the car in the daylight so you can more easily spot any issues.
  • antony66antony66 Member Posts: 10
    edited October 2015
    I'm looking to buy my 1st 2015 CRV-EX 2WD in Virginia Beach (VA) and here is the best offer I got
    Standard features

Car price: $21900
    destination fee: $880
    Processing fee: $600
    Taxe: 4.2%

Is that a good deal ??
    Well, the "processing" fee is way too high, but the price is well below the invoice of $23,988 (or $24,868 with the destination added in).

So, it's about $1500 below invoice and a good deal. Figure the processing fee to be another name for the dealer profit. We all gotta eat and pay the bills. :)
    I got more dealers involved and diverted my search for CRV-EX  AWD 2015  (instead of EX 2WD)  and the best I could get is $26000 OTD including Virginia taxe and tag.  Can you please let me know if that a good deal 
    edited October 2015
    Invoice (with destination) is $26,038. Take off $1,500 and you get $24,538. Add in $1,031 for taxes and you're at $25,323. Give or take a few bucks and usual disclaimers about my math.

It looks like your LX deal was a bit better, but that was for the base model, and there's more demand for the AWD in the higher trims. Yeah, I could live with that deal.
    I probably did not explain it clear enough, my bad, but let me iterate: the $26000 include eveeverything, evev Virginia taxe and the DMV tag. Basically I pay the $26000 and go home
    Yeah, OTD is hard to decipher sometimes and I was trying to get to the selling price of the EX so that could be compared to invoice with destination. For lots of places back East, the sweet spot is invoice/destination minus $500 to $1,500.

Once you hit that number, then you're stuck with the taxes, and really only have to worry about other fees the dealer may try to stick you with.
    edited October 2015
    So based on my crooked math, is the deal I'm getting is at least $1000 below invoice. Isn't that correct?
    You're making my head hurt, lol. I was more of an English major.

Invoice minus $1,000 = $25,007.

Your selling price (?) plus taxes and fees = OTD ($26,000).

Yeah, about $1,000 below invoice. Hard to beat that without a lot more grinding or perhaps waiting until the end of the month.

Keep us posted!
  • carmosscarmoss Member Posts: 11
    2015 EX FWD
    15% below MSRP of $26,425
    Paid $22,461.25 + tax, title, license, doc fee
    California
    Was told (after deal was done) that 2016s are coming roughly end of November, which could be a crock.
  • atlurkeratlurker Member Posts: 1
    I paid $25,800 for a CRV-EX today including the dealer added splash guards and floor mats etc. not including taxes (7% in Indiana). Title and doc under $200.
    edited October 2015
    Congrats! Sounds right in line with @antony66's quote.

Congrats on your new CR-V too, @carmoss!
    That's me again. After calling and negotiating with around 1 million dealers for the past 2 weeks, I ended up paying a deposit for CRV-EX AWD 2015 (copper Sunset color) for a dealer that's 200 miles away from my house.
    I'm going to pick up the car on Thursday

The OTD price (including Taxes, title, VA tag + everything .... ....) = $25500.
    I believe I got an awesome deal.

Now I need your help in any advise you can give me on when it's time for me to sign the paperwork.
    The deal is for an OTD price, Does that mean I'm supposed to sign a paper that clearly mention "OTD" term only without the usual fees, or something like "Total Balance", or .....?
  • lhs976lhs976 Member Posts: 10
    Just purchased a 2015 CR-V EX-L AWD in MA for $27,553.76 OTD $29,643.56
    edited October 2015
    Congrats @lhs976!

@antony66, I haven't seen the paperwork in years, but there should be a bottom line "amount due" somewhere that will indicate the selling price, taxes and fees, any trade-in allowance, amount financed, downpayment, and in your case, a credit for your deposit.

Before signing, you may want to take a test drive (check for the "normal" vibration) and try to look it over good in the daylight so you won't be surprised Friday by any scratches or dings. Be a pain to have to drive back 200 miles to get a scratch buffed out. May as well contact your insurance company now with your VIN so they can be ready.

And watch for the upsells when you go to pay. You'll have a lot of time invested in driving over and a few dealers may try to take advantage of that. The solution is to just leave. If they still want to make the original deal after you take off, make them deliver the car to you. Fortunately there aren't many old school dealers left that try to pull those kinds of stunts.

If you have a question at the dealer's, try our free Live Help.
    Hi IHS976, that sounds like a good deal. What is the name of your dealership in mass?
  • lhs976lhs976 Member Posts: 10
    edited October 2015

Hi IHS976, that sounds like a good deal. What is the name of your dealership in mass?

I bought it in Weymouth, MA. Probably left some money on the table, but they were nice enough there that I wasn't overly concerned.
  • sunav99sunav99 Member Posts: 8
    @antony66,

Can you please provide the dealer  and sales rep details and how was your crv ex awd purchase?

What was the final OTD?
    Thanks,
    Sunav99
  • blueskies888blueskies888 Member Posts: 4
    I bought an EX AWD for exactly $26k including the $880 manufactuer shipping fee in Queens, NY. The dealer originally offered ~$27800 not including the $880 (total BS). So I got about $2600 off their first offer.

The $26K does not include taxes or the title and other fees (which the dealer tells me is refundable if I got overcharged). Out the door price came out to be almost $29k.

But it seems based on your guys' prices I could have done better.

It's my first car and I was definitely more of a sucker than a seasoned buyer.
    Don't beat yourself up too much. NYC is a tough market. And dealers do this every day - the rest of us visit a dealer maybe every four or five years, if not longer. TMV is $26,197, so you still beat the average.

Enjoy the new ride - you got a great car!