Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

1991 Mazda 626

cla3411cla3411 Member Posts: 5
edited October 2015 in Mazda
Have a 1991 Mazda 626 that runs great. Don't drive in summer due to no A/C, but start and run every two days. did drive it about 20 miles a couple weeks ago. Drove it about six miles this evening and shut it off, when I got back in a few minutes later it was completely dead. No noise or sound at all when turning key. What could this be?

Answers

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    How old is the battery? Lots of auto parts stores will load test them for free. Could just need a long trickle charge I suppose - doesn't sound like you've driven enough lately to recharge it.
  • cla3411cla3411 Member Posts: 5
    Not a battery problem, just replaced in June.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Still could be a battery or charging system problem...or loose or corroded battery cables.
    I got it started shortly ago and got it home. All I did was take out the engine fuse under the hood and put it back in and beat on the coil.......and it started. I have no idea what I did, but it worked. Something must be loose somewhere.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    I don't see how one fuse could cut off an entire electrical system to a car but then I don't have a 1991 Mazda 626 in front of me, so......hey, whatever works!

I have no idea what fixed it.......just glad it started. may run it to mechanic to have him take a look at. The battery and everything having to do with the battery is fine, but something must be loose somewhere.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Could be one of the "other ends" of battery cables. Dunno, older cars often wind up with poor grounds, just from the passage of time.
    I thought about that. When I had the hood up, I did move one of the cables and after that it started.