Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Making Peace With Viper On Track - 2015 Dodge Viper GT Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited October 2015 in Dodge
imageMaking Peace With Viper On Track - 2015 Dodge Viper GT Long-Term Road Test

Sure it's a track-day hammer, but we've never been too impressed with the Viper on tighter, twisty circuits. But a recent trip to Laguna Seca revealed some Viper nuances that gave us a greater appreciation of its track reflexes.

Read the full story here

Comments

• csubowtiecsubowtie Member Posts: 143
    The way that car just eats the others was so fun to watch. Even that Lotus looked like it was standing still.
  • ebeaudoinebeaudoin Member Posts: 509
    Now, I've never been to a track day, but I wouldn't want to drive a Viper, either. I would want something like a GTI or Focus ST. Something with limits I can get closer to and handling prowess that I can comfortably exploit. With the Viper I would probably spin out or just feel anxious the whole time.

There's a lot to be said for the brakes, though. Hmm.
  • subatomicsubatomic Member Posts: 140
    Fun video to watch. The Viper may not be perfect, but it is still an incredible car.
  • misterfusionmisterfusion Member Posts: 471
    Isn't the class lap record at Laguna Seca held by a Viper? The car's performance here should not be so surprising...
  • subytrojansubytrojan Member Posts: 120

Isn't the class lap record at Laguna Seca held by a Viper? The car's performance here should not be so surprising...

I believe Randy Pobst broke the lap record in Motor Trend's 2014 Best Driver's Car competition with a Porsche 918 Spyder (1:29.89x).

http://fastestlaps.com/tracks/laguna-seca-post-1988

Great update, Josh! I enjoyed reading it and watching the video. Makes me want to drive on the track again (haven't been on track since the December 2010 LeMons race at Buttonwillow)!