Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

A Hike, a Bike, and a Track-Day Wedding, Part 3 - 2015 Ford Mustang GT Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited October 2015 in Ford
imageA Hike, a Bike, and a Track-Day Wedding, Part 3 - 2015 Ford Mustang GT Long-Term Road Test

Is a 2015 Ford Mustang GT with Performance Package suited to five days on the road ferrying us to Yosemite for hiking, and to Mazda Raceway for biking, a wedding and a track day?

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    bankerdannybankerdanny Member Posts: 1,021
    Was this pre or post suspension upgrade? I thought from the stance that it was the upgraded car, but after reading this I certainly hope not.
  • Options
    opfreakopfreak Member Posts: 106
    needs more air pressure? In that shot of you turning, it almost looks like your riding the rim.
  • Options
    actualsizeactualsize Member Posts: 451
    That photo was taken at maximum compression at the bottom of The Corkscrew, which is more than a little like falling down a hill and landing on that corner of the car. The suspension and the tire experience their most severe loading at that precise moment.

Twitter: @Edmunds_Test

• Options
    mike_monticellomike_monticello Member Posts: 1
    This track day was pre suspension upgrades.
  • Options
    roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,362

This track day was pre suspension upgrades.

I still balk at having to shell out for the Performance Package AND a suspension kit to make the car's handling acceptable. The GT Premium was initially at the top of my shopping list, but no longer.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• Options
    bankerdannybankerdanny Member Posts: 1,021
    Thanks Mike.

Roadburner,

I agree that it is disappointing that even with the performance pack the GT is a great track car, especially in light of what I have been reading about the new Camaro SS. However it is worth noting that the SS will start for about $7k more than a base GT, so adding the performance package and the SVT suspension package still only gets the GT to price parity with the SS. Now the question is how does the SVT suspension improve the track performance and how does it degrade (if at all) every day street comfort.
  • Options
    roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,362
    It's kind of sad; as HPDEs become more popular it seems that many manufacturers are now building performance cars that aren't well suited for track events- unlike the 1995 3er I've used as my instructor car since 1996. If I'm paying a hefty premium for a "Performance Package" it darn well better be ready to hit the track as soon as it is broken in. I can see possibly see needing to switch brake pads, but aside from that the car should be good to go.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive