Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

New VW Jetta vs. high mileage Audi A4

rbirns1rbirns1 Member Posts: 311
edited October 2015 in General
I have opportunity to buy a new 2016 Jetta SE w/connectivity for about $20k. I also found a 2014 Audi A4 premium plus quattro with 60k miles for about the same price. That's half the original price for a less than 2 year old luxury car. Carfax shows clean title with no accidents, one owner, and all regular maintenance performed at Audi dealer. The Audi is for sale at a VW dealer 200 miles away.

This car will be driven only 2-3k miles per year. Replacing my wife's 2003 Passat with 35k miles. While the Jetta would meet her needs, the Audi is clearly a nicer car. I'm torn. Any thoughts?

Comments

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,061
    rbirns1 said:

I have opportunity to buy a new 2016 Jetta SE w/connectivity for about $20k. I also found a 2014 Audi A4 premium plus quattro with 60k miles for about the same price. That's half the original price for a less than 2 year old luxury car. Carfax shows clean title with no accidents, one owner, and all regular maintenance performed at Audi dealer. The Audi is for sale at a VW dealer 200 miles away.

This car will be driven only 2-3k miles per year. Replacing my wife's 2003 Passat with 35k miles. While the Jetta would meet her needs, the Audi is clearly a nicer car. I'm torn. Any thoughts?

Warranty on the Jetta... that's the way I would go.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• carboy21carboy21 Member Posts: 760
    Ever wondered who would drive a car , 30k in a year ??
    Not even a rental car .
    Maybe a traveling salesman who drove it allover the USA four or five times year :smile:
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I did that once - a 32,000 mile road trip on a holiday year off. Wouldn't be much fun commuting that many miles in a year.

The warranty is appealing, and since it's better to drive cars than let them sit, only 3,000 miles a year is kind of asking for trouble.

Guess I'd rethink why you even need the second car.
  • rbirns1rbirns1 Member Posts: 311
    My wife drives the car to the train every day, 3 miles each way. 20 years without "low use" car trouble. Only significant repairs were worn tie rod on the Passat at about 8 years, and a water pump at 11 years. I need the second car to avoid me driving her to and from the train every day. Small price to pay for my sanity.
  • texasestexases Member Posts: 10,708
    I'd go for the new car warranty.
  • MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,239
    Interesting .. what is it about the Audi that appeals to you? Given that she's only in the car 6 miles a day (10-15 minutes?) what features or driving characteristics do you think she'll notice - or appreciate?

That said, 3000 miles a year is pretty low - my folks have a 2003 Sonata that has probably 40-45K on it.

I'm wondering why you want to replace the Passat at all.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

Mostly snob appeal, to be honest. She's earns a lot and has always wanted a luxury car.

It's just time to replace the Passat. It's starting to show its age. Little problems are starting to pop up, major expense last year replacing the water pump, and I fear more expenses will follow. Plus she just doesn't want to drive a 13 year old car anymore.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,061
    Yeah.. you don't really need a reason to get a new car.. ;)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

The Audi will be more lux.

Got preferred parking at the train lot, say, for EVs? Get a Tesla. :)
    Mostly snob appeal, to be honest. She's earns a lot and has always wanted a luxury car

Just lease a new A4 and be done with it !! Maybe a 5K per year lease maybe offered to you at a very discounted rates :smile:
  • MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,239
    carboy21 said:

Mostly snob appeal, to be honest. She's earns a lot and has always wanted a luxury car

Just lease a new A4 and be done with it !! Maybe a 5K per year lease maybe offered to you at a very discounted rates :smile:

Audi offers 7500 mile lease terms for their mainstream cars; nothing less unless you are leasing an R8!

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

That would make leasing a waste for just 3000 miles per year
    I'm curious if you've had battery issues with the '03 Passat? BMW warns about short drives not being enough to maintain the battery. (Chicago Tribune)
    No battery issues. Replaced it once around year 6 or so, if I recall. I think Sears Diehard, have to check. Guess I might need another battery soon.
    edited October 2015
    3000 miles a year is 250 miles a month which is less then 10 miles a day. You have a 6 mile a day round trip with the car parked at a public train station .

All you need is your old 03 Passat with little bit of maintenance instead of plonking 20 grand on a high mileage luxury car., you are the one wanting a luxury car with the wife as an excuse :))
    I already drive a Lexus.
    I think y'all should just cruise the 200 miles and grab the A4 before someone else does.

Now I'm curious if you are trading the Passat or selling it yourself. Sounds like a creampuff.
    Not sure if trading or selling. Mechanically it's a creampuff, cosmetically not as much. Leather and carpet look their age, headlights are cloudy. Biggest problem is front bumper slightly pulled off getting stuck on parking block. Needs to be re-clipped, which shouldn't be a major expense. Wondering if dealer would shrug that off for trade figuring it's a quick repair for them.
    rbirns1 said:
    Not sure if trading or selling. Mechanically it's a creampuff, cosmetically not as much. Leather and carpet look their age, headlights are cloudy. Biggest problem is front bumper slightly pulled off getting stuck on parking block. Needs to be re-clipped, which shouldn't be a major expense. Wondering if dealer would shrug that off for trade figuring it's a quick repair for them.
    Trade in will be at a throw away price for a 13 year old Passat. Maybe 500 dollars .

Selling on your own involves putting it in a Walmart carpark with a For Sale poster on the windshield :)
    A quick appraisal is coming in at $3,000 trade-in, ~$3,700 private party. You can dial in the options, zip code and trim better at that link.
    Even entering condition as rough (to account for bumper), trade-in comes in at $2386, just a couple hundred less than private party. For that small difference, trade-in makes more sense.
    Dealers never give KBB or Edmunds trade in value.
    Been  there .
    Then I'll sell it myself. Been there too.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Ever wonder WHY a car lost 50% of it's value in 2 years? Listen to the market, is my advice.
    edited October 2015
    http://www.carmax.com/enus/view-car/default.html?id=12151999&AVi=2&No=0&Rp=R&D=50&zip=17078&N=4294963141+4294963080&Q=a733b370-38d0-412a-94d5-621e1ca2cab2&Ep=search:results:results pagee

If you want a luxury car, go for a low mileage one. Don't get suckered by a high miler 60k in 2 years!! Maybe it was driven "Around the World in Eighty days " ., Twice !!

LOL
    But those were all highway miles. :D

And in two short years, you'll almost be back at the national average of 15,000 miles a year.
    And in two short years, you'll almost be back at the national average of 15,000 miles a year.

It is alrady at 60 k. So next 2 years he would have to just garage it :smile:
    Next two years will add only 4-5k
    carboy21 said:

http://www.carmax.com/enus/view-car/default.html?id=12151999&AVi=2&No=0&Rp=R&D=50&zip=17078&N=4294963141+4294963080&Q=a733b370-38d0-412a-94d5-621e1ca2cab2&Ep=search:results:results pagee

If you want a luxury car, go for a low mileage one. Don't get suckered by a high miler 60k in 2 years!! Maybe it was driven "Around the World in Eighty days " ., Twice !!

LOL

Car in your link is 5 years old. No thanks. The point of my discussion is the opportunity to get an almost-new car, heavily discounted because of currently high mileage. After a few years of my light usage, it would become a normal mileage car.

Why do you say suckered?
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    True, but someone has already squeezed a lot of the juice out of it. 1/3 of that car's statistical lifespan is over, and it's the best 1/3rd that's already used up. Historical Audi reliability ratings are simply not that great.

Short answer-- it's by no means a foolish move, but there's some risk here.
    rbirns1 said:

carboy21 said:

LOL

Car in your link is 5 years old. No thanks. The point of my discussion is the opportunity to get an almost-new car, heavily discounted because of currently high mileage. After a few years of my light usage, it would become a normal mileage car.

Why do you say suckered?
    If you bent on buying this high miler, ask the Audi dealer to throw in an extended warranty for free. Then it would be worth every dollar.
    edited October 2015
    The dealer is out of town, so a long term warranty wouldn't help me. And it's not an Audi dealer anyway. They do provide short warranty, 60 days, 2000 miles.
    I would never buy a luxury car from a non-dealer., whatever maybe the deal. I And my family have always bought CPO luxury cars from their respective authorized dealers. You are really an adventurous buyer :smile: