Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Almost Gone and Miss It Already - 2015 Audi A3 Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited October 2015 in Audi
imageAlmost Gone and Miss It Already - 2015 Audi A3 Long-Term Road Test

Our 2015 Audi A3 is close to hitting 20,000 miles and ending its tenure with us. Some of us will be sorry to see it go.

Read the full story here

Comments

• allthingshondaallthingshonda Member Posts: 878
    You won't miss it for long. Edmunds always has a VW product in the long term fleet, always. Looking into my crystal ball I see a new 2016 VW Passat in your future.
  • ebeaudoinebeaudoin Member Posts: 509
    I'd like to see it taken to Carmax, though I'm sure the manufacturer says no (or the Manufacturer plates are a red-flag to Carmax). Overall it sounds like the A3 has been a pretty solid performer.
    ebeaudoin said:

I'd like to see it taken to Carmax, though I'm sure the manufacturer says no (or the Manufacturer plates are a red-flag to Carmax). Overall it sounds like the A3 has been a pretty solid performer.

Consumer Reports decades ago said they buy all of their vehicles because the ones given by manufacturers are sometimes tuned to perform better than production models. This insures they get a good review from the press. I'm not saying that VW cheats but.....
  • kirkhilles1kirkhilles1 Member Posts: 863
    You miss it now because you haven't gotten past the warranty yet and aren't responsible for paying the absurd repair and maintenance costs out of warranty...
  • zimtheinvaderzimtheinvader Member Posts: 580
    " A $39,745 sticker price and no backup camera?"

It is amazing to me that a couple 'luxury' brands don't have camera's standard when there are a ton of sub $20,000 cars that have them. There is a point where as a company you are just giving your customers the middle finger by treating them that way with "oh, you want that it is going to cost you"
  • mercedesfanmercedesfan Member Posts: 365
    If you absolutely must buy a new car I agree with everything written here. However, my issue with the A3 (and the other entry-lux compacts) is that for a similar price you could get a 1-2 year old A4/3/IS/C and they would all "check the boxes" better than the A3.
  • darthbimmerdarthbimmer Member Posts: 606

If you absolutely must buy a new car I agree with everything written here. However, my issue with the A3 (and the other entry-lux compacts) is that for a similar price you could get a 1-2 year old A4/3/IS/C and they would all "check the boxes" better than the A3.

That's the case with pretty much any car. For the same money as buying new, you could buy a bigger/nicer/more powerful model lightly used. The comparison to make in the case of the A3 would be used-vs.-used.
  • mercedesfanmercedesfan Member Posts: 365
    @darthbimmer,

I do agree with your point, but this segment is slightly different than the norm. The entry-lux and the sport-lux segments are going after almost exactly the same market. The cars are even close in exterior size. I can completely understand why someone looking at a 3er/C would not like the larger, less-focused 5er/E. The mid-size luxury class is definitely more luxury-focused and won't necessarily appeal to someone looking for a sport sedan. However, an A3/CLA and A4/C have similar goals and are going to attract the same type of buyers.
  • jakek66jakek66 Member Posts: 60
    So funny the backup camera was mentioned in a post on Audi. Just today I was talking to a co worker who has a new Audi A6 and his car didn't come with one. In an Audi A6!!! I was bragging on my '16 GTI with DAP about how it can park itself/steer on the highway and has radar cruise control in the low 30's... Just goes to show you luxury makers don't want the customer who want just a low tier model, they want the $$$ in the optioned up ones.
  • misterfusionmisterfusion Member Posts: 471
    I'm just sad that the post confirms that there is another black car on the road...
    All the posts about purchasing a used luxury car is on point. It makes no sense to buy a new Audi, BMW etc, They nickel and dime you to death on options because they know you have the money and willing to pay extra for the badge.
  • schen72schen72 Member Posts: 433
    Porsche is the worst in terms of nickel & diming you on options.
  • ssgmikessgmike Member Posts: 20

" A $39,745 sticker price and no backup camera?"

It is amazing to me that a couple 'luxury' brands don't have camera's standard when there are a ton of sub $20,000 cars that have them. There is a point where as a company you are just giving your customers the middle finger by treating them that way with "oh, you want that it is going to cost you"

I agree not to mention manual passenger seat. But I love the ride