Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Mazda RX-Vision Concept Marks Return of Rotary Engine| Edmunds.com

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited October 2015 in Mazda
Mazda RX-Vision Concept Marks Return of Rotary Engine| Edmunds.com

The Mazda RX-Vision, a sports car with a next-generation rotary engine dubbed the Skyactiv-R, debuted at the 2015 Tokyo Auto Show. The concept may signal Mazda's return to the unusual engine design that it last featured on the Mazda RX-8.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    subatomicsubatomic Member Posts: 140
    Stunning car! I enjoyed watching the live webcast of the unveiling at the Tokyo Auto Show. The car sits so low and there is so little sheet metal above the front wheel wells. Only a rotary engine would allow for such a low hood line. As small a corporation as Mazda is (and with limited resources), I am surprised to see the return of the rotary sports car. If and when it does go into production, I hope Mazda can keep it affordable and obtainable for hardworking middle-class drones like myself (hopefully that next promotion comes through!). I wouldn't mind if it has less than 300 hp. Reasonable horsepower/torque/fuel economy combined with low weight, sharp handling, reliability and low/moderate oil consumption would make for a great sports car.
  • Options
    sonny28sonny28 Member Posts: 65
    Rotary always brings back memories as I've owned two RX-8's in my history - some of the best sports cars I've ever experienced. With this said, I've always felt the rotary has been an uphill battle for Mazda... But it's in their roots and defines their identity / niche, therefore I have no arguments here.
    '14 Honda CBR600RR
    '15 Honda Rebel
  • Options
    PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    Will the catch phrase "A Mazda goes mmmmmmmmm" make a comeback?
  • Options
    sjw91sjw91 Member Posts: 22
    I hope it's back to two seats.
  • Options
    DLuDLu Member Posts: 94
    Tire width match those of the C7. Price it accordingly ($65k) Mazda, and people hopefully will stop complaining about longevity. The rotary is reliable -- I rev to 9,000 RPM regularly. Most cars that can do that do not need longevity. My R3 has given me zero problems, inside or out, so it is very reliable. Some people do not need a 100k-mile commuter machine. The Accord coupe V6 is faster and can get me probably to 300k miles, IF I cared about longevity. The C7 is fantastic, but they are EVERYWHERE. I promise, Mazda, if you make this thing, I will buy it. But please, price it in the $65k range so it's a proper flagship.
  • Options
    rx8se3prx8se3p Member Posts: 1
    edited November 2015
    My '04 RX-8 (after 5 RX-7s, since '84) just turned 143K original miles with the last 60+K as track-only, since being replaced in '06 with a Prius daily driver. So, rotary reliability is entirely dependent on NEVER bogging the engine (detonation breaks the rotor seals in an instant) and routinely redlining the motor to minimize carbon build-up. Other than routine maintenance and strictly maintaining fluid levels, that's all one needs to know about keeping a rotary healthy. Looking forward to seeing a 1.6L with improved torque and direct injection for better mileage and emissions.