Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

What Would It Take for YOU to buy a diesel car?

Comments

• gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450

Nice car but man that's going to be a tough sell in the USA, as it touches two live wires---the prejudice American buyers have against diesels and the one they have against station wagons. Haven't seen this car "in the flesh" so if it has the higher stance of the Outback and can pass as a real CUV, that would help a lot.

Let's see---isn't the only other diesel wagon in the USA the BMW 328? Have I got that right?

I think you are correct about the BMW 328d wagon. I think it suffers from the Wagon issue. Though I think BMW now offers the X3 in diesel along with the X5. So BMW has diesel options. I would want something along the lines of the Subaru. Which I consider a great vehicle EXCEPT their rubber band transmission. That was the deal killer when I test drove one. That horrible CVT is what keeps them from selling the diesel here. If they can pass emissions?
  • ruking1ruking1 Member Posts: 19,826
    edited October 2015

Nice car but man that's going to be a tough sell in the USA, as it touches two live wires---the prejudice American buyers have against diesels and the one they have against station wagons. Haven't seen this car "in the flesh" so if it has the higher stance of the Outback and can pass as a real CUV, that would help a lot.

Let's see---isn't the only other diesel wagon in the USA the BMW 328? Have I got that right?

Well I really think that depends on perceived goals! So for example, we already know that DIESELS, passenger vehicles in the fleet are anywhere between 3% and 5%. Those %'s have taken a VERY long time to post. Do I think TDI's will gain 1 % of the PVF soon ? OMG NO!

To state the utter obvious, there is no "organized " movement to get that up, say 1% of the PVF. Aka 4 to 6% of the PVF. Just run a few numbers on a cheap calculator, for the utter obvious.

However, VW did/does want to grow its' diesel fleet, year over year organically. Aka, 23% of total production to 24%, for example. To illustrate @ 2.5% of 2015 projected sales that is (437,500) or app 4,375 more diesels .

To wit, the JSW/GSW are niche model HITS ! (station wagon) I remember reading and hearing app 85% of JSW,'s (station wagons) are diesels. Yes, station wagons seem to be a US market tough sell.

So VW has carved out it's US market diesel niche. It is the VW's market ("closer to affordable ") to lose, not seemingly anybody else's to win.

GREAT work on the carving!
    Happy Halloween, all you diesel lovers.

Off topic, but even CR does Sergeant Schultz impressions !

https://www.yahoo.com/tech/s/tesla-consumer-reports-art-doing-160002797.html

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Edmunds made note of Tesla reliability issues long before CR as well.
    edited November 2015

Edmunds made note of Tesla reliability issues long before CR as well.

Counterintuitively, I don't think this is going to affect Tesla much! I have read several articles that the profit per car is roughly about $35,000.

On topic, this latest VW fiasco, if they decide to continue in the TDI markets, should probably "conspire" to make VW TDI's even more competitive against gas, gas hybrids,& certainly EV's . This will be true even as VW continues to offer gas, gas hybrid, EV. I am swagging it will force shorter term TDI prices, out to 5 model years, closer to gas prices. I think it will take @ least 5 years to make per car what they made before the fiasco news broke.($850. per)
    http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1090892_porsche-makes-more-money-per-car-than-audi-bentley-or-lamborghinic

Gagrice should get a chuckle out of the following. :D;) TDI's of course!

..."Case in point: The Cayenne. It's still considered the spawn of Satan by many a Porsche fan, but this SUV has been the brand's best-selling model for years. Its price and performance put it a level above the Audi Q7, but the Cayenne still shares a platform with it and the Volkswagen Touareg.",,,

The VW Touareg even has unbranded but branded Brembo's brakes, rotors and pads ! The brake system was Ihave read) adapted from the Ferrari F 430, vendored by Bosch. . Go figure?
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited November 2015
    Kind of makes you wonder why we have standards.

"After hours of talks on Wednesday, European Union countries agreed a compromise deal that would still allow new diesel vehicles on the road to emit more than double an official NOx limit of 80 milligrams/kilometer for two years from September 2017. From 2020, cars would still be able to emit up to 50 percent more than the official ceiling.

However, that would be a significant reduction from the current situation, where some diesel vehicles emit four to five times more nitrous oxides (NOx) than official limits"

Automakers say EU emissions-testing deal will hurt industry (Automotive News)

Where have we heard this before? Oh yeah, seat belts, CAFE, backup cams....

Next up - German automakers lobby the Chinese not to adopt American pollution standards.
  • carboy21carboy21 Member Posts: 760
    stever said:

"After hours of talks on Wednesday, European Union countries agreed a compromise deal that would still allow new diesel vehicles on the road to emit more than double an official NOx limit of 80 milligrams/kilometer for two years from September 2017. From 2020, cars would still be able to emit up to 50 percent more than the official ceiling.

However, that would be a significant reduction from the current situation, where some diesel vehicles emit four to five times more nitrous oxides (NOx) than official limits"

Next up - German automakers lobby the Chinese not to adopt American pollution standards.

You have to take into consideration Cost vs Benefit ratio.

Some of the standards are just arbitrary and make no sense.
    carboy21 said:

stever said:

You have to take into consideration Cost vs Benefit ratio.

Some of the standards are just arbitrary and make no sense.
    We have reached the point of diminishing returns. The standards were set by diesel haters in CARB. And like little puppies the EPA followed along. Then we find out the Number One Diesel hater is a total fraud and gets fired from his job at CARB. Then in typical Government fashion they fire the Whistle blower that exposed the diesel craziness at CARB.

Enstrom challenged the scientific research that the California Air Resources Board and California Legislature used to enact policies regulating diesel fuel emissions. And then he was fired from his job of 35 years at University of California, Los Angeles.

http://watchdogwire.com/california/2014/02/13/the-firing-of-dr-james-enstrom-the-dangers-of-bucking-fashionable-science/
    Fashionable science or fashionable lobbying? (cleantechnica.com)

edited November 2015
    Yes ! & Yes! I hope Dr. Engstron wins HUGE settlements for the perpetrated: shams, shenanigans, and cover ups, the anti diesel cabal has and continues to engage in!

On the other hand, we are now surprised the gasser side was lobbing for suppressing mpg standards? Wow! That notion is even less credible than saying there is/are not an unofficial wink & nod diesel hating cabal/s @ CARB & EPA?!

Don't be surprise when the natural gas, hydrogen, battery, EV, etc., industries : each or in cabal bundles gains traction, it will be de'ja' vu, all over again! Mark my words.

Even IF they can wave the magic wands and sprinkle fairy dust to rid the world of PVF gas & diesel use: air quality will be worse!!! To wit, that is true now with diesel cars @ 2.5 to 1.5% of the PVF. So really, it is far from a revelation ! Indeed it is EXTREMELY obvious!
    edited November 2015
    3 more years of low oil prices? Yee HAW!

Will that mean three more years of NO social security COLAs? (aka huge US NON expenditures? )

Great (low) cpmd: ULSD!

@ current robber baron CA prices of $2.49 per gal ULSD @ consumption rates of 32, 35, 40, 50 mpg = cpmd fuel of : 7.78, 7.1, 6.23, 4.98 cents per mile driven! ($2.16 per gal ULSD in GA, like model gassers @ 19, 22.1, 25.7, 25 mpg)

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/oil-could-until-2018-recover-104012541.html

And according to the hosts' post, European officials (defacto signaling the rest of the world) have given VW diesels a pass on about 10.515 million diesel cars of 11 m affected..... We (the US) are going to look like a crazed (mentally deranged ) trading liability/ partner, if we continue to call for VW's lynching, for less than 4.4 % of affected diesels. This will be especially egregious, given the absolute JUNK science the US emissions standards are based, not even to mention the government cover up @ CARB & EPA: Kettle black or some such?!!

Further, Europe has probably reminded the United States by way of BHO administration, wink, wink, nod, nod, that they also gave GM and Chrysler and the US free, get out of jail free passes, in the EU, when the US backed the bankruptcies of BOTH GM & Chrysler, not that far back in ancient history. Indeed Fiat also stepped up to buy Chysler, cushioning the blow to the US. VW A is NOT asking for a bankruptcy!!! . The US treasury also made tons of monies, when both threw in the towels!! Indeed the BHO administration bragged how GM & Chrsler were economic wunderkin achievements ! ? This is not to mentioned how the bankruptcy screwed investors and transferred massive ownership to unions and pensions @ tremendous profit? Indeed do I dare say that they used VW as the model?

So it's not that it wasn't predicted, here on this web site! ? B) aka much ado about precious nothing.
    stever said:

Fashionable science or fashionable lobbying? (cleantechnica.com)

Rich men's dreams of a pristine environment, free of all the worthless people. Solution would be to just give every driver in CA a free Tesla, and a charger on every parking spot. SB350 was designed to get the dregs off the street. The millions of illegals they have given DL too. The ones driving 30 year old low riders that spew out lots of nasty stuff.

I have a friend that his old van would not pass smog. He is living in poverty and needed a vehicle to get to his MW job. So I gave him the money to buy another beater that did pass smog. The state was supposed to give him $1500 for taking the old van off the road. Well that was in late 2013 and he is still waiting for the money. The state has more excuses than you can imagine.

The simple solution is to match the emissions standards with the EU and offer all those low cost diesel cars to Americans. We can cut the use of fossil fuel in half. You can get 60 MPG with the Skoda Fabia TDI that puts out less CO2 than a Prius for half the price. Not to mention 0-60 MPH less time than the Piggy Prius.
    edited November 2015
    Guess you want San Diego to look like the LA of old?

"Diesel cars, which emit up to 40 times the legal level, cause most of the city's pollution." (TechInsider)

Oh well, we'll always have Paris. (Bloomberg)

• iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    stever - does this mean you don't like rigs powered by diesel engines? :p

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

edited November 2015
    Somebody posted a pollution picture in China. The implication was the pollution was due to diesel cars. IF that was the implication, it is an absolute and total LIE, as China uses less diesel cars, in both volume & % than the US! Indeed China have a higher % of gassers !!! So again, the second and BIGGER LIE! Apple Siri indicates 118 M vehicles in ALL of China.

For those given to insomnia, here are the China ( to 2050) projections.

http://ntl.bts.gov/lib/32000/32100/32149/fulltext.pdf

Keep in mind that we have approximately 269.3 million vehicles @ yrly avg of 12,00 to 15,,000 miles. Europe's PVF is slightly more @ 296 M, @ yrly avg of 7,500 miles. (12,000 km)

Apple Siri says CA itself is said to have 34.4 M PVF. An article indicated app 70,000 CA "affected TDI's " Given 34.4 M CA PVF =.002035 %. Affected TDI's" are not even measurable!

Apple Siri also says that the price of gasoline in Europe is approximately $ 6.32 USD per gallon (128 oz)

• houdini1houdini1 Member Posts: 8,327
    "Up to 40 times as much" does not mean 40 times as much. You know what they say about stats and people who parse them, right?

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

Ah yes Los Angeles of old. Remember it well, and San Bernardino today. 85% caused by shipping and trains. London and Paris are victims of their own making. There is a HUGE difference between EU diesels currently on the roads and the diesels sold in the USA. Even with the cheating our VW TDIs do not put out as much NOx as the millions of diesels sold in the EU. 8.5 millions vs 480K. Wide open spaces vs crowded countries in EU. If we matched the EU6 standards which would allow the 480k vehicles here to be fixed with a patch. The chances of US ever having close to 50% diesel cars is so remote.
  • fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,167
    edited November 2015
    Nice photos from days with temperature inversions. The old SJW set needs to study meteorology. You can find just as bad in clean places like the PNW, especially during high pressure events in winter.

I wonder how many "could" die, who funds the studies mentioned above, and how many of the academics involve embrace the Prius. Environmental abuse is fine, as long as it is offshored (battery making).
    edited November 2015

Check out the 8th post in here - can't say I haven't been consistent. ;)
    stever said:

No chance that you're a flip flopper on diesel. Though I thought we were getting close to winning you up until Dieselgate. I am just thankful I don't have to fill up as often and smell those nasty RUG fumes.
    As with most stuff, the economics usually wins out. Not this time though.
  • MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,282
    I'd like to see more than one source, but this can't be good for our Touraeg owning posters:

http://jalopnik.com/volkswagen-had-diesel-cheat-systems-on-v6-engines-too-1740068495

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• texasestexases Member Posts: 10,708
    Uh-oh...this is a pretty big problem because the EPA had to find it, instead of VW 'coming clean' with it (see what I did there?)...
  • slorenzenslorenzen Member Posts: 694
    gagrice said:

stever said:

No chance that you're a flip flopper on diesel. Though I thought we were getting close to winning you up until Dieselgate. I am just thankful I don't have to fill up as often and smell those nasty RUG fumes.
    Move to Oregon, where you can leave the window up while the poor attendant deals with it...

:p
  • texasestexases Member Posts: 10,708
    Here's the original source on the new VW violations. It's the EPA, so it's definitely an actual problem:
    http://yosemite.epa.gov/opa/admpress.nsf/0/4A45A5661216E66C85257EF10061867B
  • bobw3bobw3 Member Posts: 2,989
    http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2015/11/02/epa-diesel-suv-volkswagen-audi-porsche/75044132/

more vehicles in the scandal....the 3-liter diesel engine versions of the 2014 Volkswagen Touareg, the 2015 Porsche Cayenne, and the 2016 Audi A6 Quattro, A7 Quattro, A8, A8L, and Q5.
    edited November 2015
    Hm, I thought VW previously mentioned the "temperature conditioning mode" and had run it by the EPA. Maybe this is something different.

A story from October 15 from philly.com:

More VW trouble: 2016 diesels have new suspect software

I remember "warming up" my gassers before having IM tests done on them, back when I lived in IM counties.

"Volkswagen AG on Monday denied new U.S. Environmental Protection Agency allegations that it installed defeat devices aimed at manipulating U.S. emissions tests on thousands of late-model, diesel-powered vehicles.

Volkswagen disputed the EPA’s findings, saying it didn’t install software on any of the newly identified vehicles’ engines that would improperly change emissions. The company pledged to cooperate with the agency."

EPA, Volkswagen Spar Over New Emissions Claims (WSJ registration link)
    edited November 2015
    Lets pollute the third world countries with Lithium mines so that we can have electric and hybrid cars . In USA  lets pollute the states of Utah and Nevada so that the Californicators can breathe smog free air . Welcome to the New  World Order .
    And oh ya , Mexican drivers with their dirty polluting big rigs cannot be touched because Mexico  supply the  Californicators with thugs ,  rapists and murderers  ;)
    texases said:

Here's the original source on the new VW violations. It's the EPA, so it's definitely an actual problem:
    http://yosemite.epa.gov/opa/admpress.nsf/0/4A45A5661216E66C85257EF10061867B

I dodged the bullet on that one by a hair. My Touareg TDI is a 2013. I think they made changes on the 2014 MY. Though not sure what.
    edited November 2015
    carboy21 said:

Lets pollute the third world countries with Lithium mines so that we can have electric and hybrid cars . In USA  lets pollute the states of Utah and Nevada so that the Californicators can breathe smog free air . Welcome to the New  World Order .
    And oh ya , Mexican drivers with their dirty polluting big rigs cannot be touched because Mexico  supply the  Californicators with thugs ,  rapists and murderers  ;)

That appears to be the plan. It has been long known it is rich in strategic minerals, inxs of 1 trillion USD's, per CIA analysis. The US took multiple decades to secure the critical Afghanistan area. Then, they let the disrupted opiate farming get back on its feet, again. When the Chinese make all the trade agreements with Afghanistan & other natural resources rich areas: in this case for the rare earth metals essential for EV& hybrids, environmentalists will work to close down the operations in Conus: Utah, Nevada.
  • stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    gagrice said:

Happy Halloween, all you diesel lovers.

Ironic choice, considering that is one VW that never had a diesel engine...
    Ah but the new one does have a diesel option. Don't know it it will ever spend anytime on our highways.

• bobw3bobw3 Member Posts: 2,989
    Diesels will never be mainstream in the US because companies that offer them (VW, Mercedes, etc) are just niche manufacturers in the first place that don't cater to economically minded consumers. It's the oxymoron of "clean economical diesel" They're not clean, as well all now know, and they're not economical (once you eliminate the cheating software), and they're put primarily in expensive vehicles with low reliability (i.e. german manufactures).

The only reason folks buy German vehicles is as a status symbol over the Lexus, Infinity, etc competition. They buy into the myth of "German engineering" and the illogical notion that they think others will think of them as "smart and sophisticated" if they're seen buying a German vehicle vice American or Japanese.

Here's a good article:
    http://www.businessinsider.com/why-americans-arent-buying-volkswagens-2014-7
    http://humblemechanic.com/2012/03/19/is-volkswagen-reliability-a-problem-or-is-it-perception/

And yes there will be a few folks (mostly on this forum) that will have driven a million miles on their VW with zero problems, but even if you don't believe that german cars are as bad as reported, I've never heard of anyone saying that a Toyota was less reliable than a VW...ever!

And by the way the term "appliance car" is meaningless, particularly in America when 99.9% of the time ALL cars are driven as appliances along the interstate highways, rural country roads and in the suburbs...unless your commute is the pacific coast highway!

So the only way diesels will ever become mainstream is if a quality car manufacturer would produce them in an economical car, but that won't happen because manufactures have chosen the gas-hybrid. And why not: The Prius V gets in the low 40s mpg and is similar in size of a small SUV, the regular Prius is about the same size as any other mid-sized sedan, but gets twice the MPG. Both of these vehicles cost about the same (maybe $1,000 more) than a comparably equipped sedan or small SUV of similar size. Then there's the Prius C to compete against the small cars, although with the Prius C the other small car competition is much closer.

When we start talking about luxury vehicles (cars >$35K) then the cost differences end up being more of a factor that dollars saved at the pump and "economy" is longer the driving factor in the car purchase. Or when people view cars as toys versus machines, then any economical logic goes out the window.
    "rare earth" doesn't mean it's in one spot and not another. It means that it (one of 17 different "rare earths") is distributed very thinly everywhere. Lots of it is mined in Mongolia so China has no shortage, and the USA has an estimated reserve of 13 million metric tons. Probably the most lucrative mining would be the ocean floor. Other sources are India and South Africa.

ruking1 said:

carboy21 said:

That appears to be the plan. It has been long known it is rich in strategic minerals, inxs of 1 trillion USD's, per CIA analysis. The US took multiple decades to secure the critical Afghanistan area. Then, they let the disrupted opiate farming get back on its feet, again. When the Chinese make all the trade agreements with Afghanistan & other natural resources rich areas: in this case for the rare earth metals essential for EV& hybrids, environmentalists will work to close down the operations in Conus: Utah, Nevada.
    bobw3 said:

Diesels will never be mainstream in the US because companies that offer them (VW, Mercedes, etc) are just niche manufacturers in the first place that don't cater to economically minded consumers. It's the oxymoron of "clean economical diesel" They're not clean, as well all now know, and they're not economical (once you eliminate the cheating software), and they're put primarily in expensive vehicles with low reliability (i.e. german manufactures).

The only reason folks buy German vehicles is as a status symbol over the Lexus, Infinity, etc competition. They buy into the myth of "German engineering" and the illogical notion that they think others will think of them as "smart and sophisticated" if they're seen buying a German vehicle vice American or Japanese.

Here's a good article:
    http://www.businessinsider.com/why-americans-arent-buying-volkswagens-2014-7
    http://humblemechanic.com/2012/03/19/is-volkswagen-reliability-a-problem-or-is-it-perception/

And yes there will be a few folks (mostly on this forum) that will have driven a million miles on their VW with zero problems, but even if you don't believe that german cars are as bad as reported, I've never heard of anyone saying that a Toyota was less reliable than a VW...ever!

When we start talking about luxury vehicles (cars >$35K) then the cost differences end up being more of a factor that dollars saved at the pump and "economy" is longer the driving factor in the car purchase. Or when people view cars as toys versus machines, then any economical logic goes out the window.

Hmm, Well you heard it here first. Toyotas are not that reliable. I own a Lexus and owned a Toyota Sequoia. The Sequoia electronics went belly up the first year, under warranty thankfully. I did buy the 7 year 70k mile extended. We sold the Sequoia to my wife's grand daughter with 36k miles on it. She has used the warranty 3 times. Electric mirror went defunct after the normal warranty, and would have cost her $1200 to replace. And now that the 7 years are passed, the tailgate latch does not work. So she has to roll down the window to get in the back.

I am so glad I got rid of that gas hog. And it has Nothing on the Touareg TDI but a bit bigger. The VW is faster, handles better, stops faster, more comfortable, and averages 11 MPG more over the last 26,000 miles. And it cost a couple thousand less to buy.
    I haven't heard of any unusual reliability issues with MB Bluetecs.
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    edited November 2015
    Wow, I have been largely away from Edmonds for a while. I used to make sure and carve a half hour-to an hour out daily to come on here.

And now I'm catching up a tad. One of the things I'm now remembering is gagrice's love of VW's and diesels. I don't pretend ta know diddly about diesels except that....smell. Ooh-ooo that smell. Cant'tcha smell that smell?

Need ta edumacate myself on them and this thread is probably as good as anywhere ta do that. Though as things pick up here in Dodge City at work I'll need the Reader's Digest version moreso than the college textbook on diesels.

Lastly, I know someone in here can update me on what's going on U.S. release-wise with the VW Bulli. Gas engines and diesel options both available? Is the Bulli even going ta be built? Anywhere?

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

edited November 2015

And those with German ancestry. Those 'superior race' genes :open_mouth:

If Toyota cars are considered appliances then the VW cars are like grandfathers appliances :smile:
    edited November 2015
    II am so glad I got rid of that gas hog. And it has Nothing on the Touareg TDI but a bit bigger. The VW is faster, handles better, stops faster, more comfortable, and averages 11 MPG more over the last 26,000 miles. And it cost a couple thousand less to buy.

Touareg is smaller then a 4Runner, and no comparison to Sequoia. Apples to Oranges comparison between Seqouia and Touareg. You might be better off comparing it with a real SUV like 4Runner.

edited November 2015
    You've seen what Toyolex and Nisfiniti vehicles look like these days, right?

I suppose the only reason why folks buy Lexus and Infiniti vehicles over Toyota and Nissan etc is because of the status symbol desire, and that others will think of them as "smart and sophisticated" if they are seen buying a higher priced brand.

Not everyone wants a Prius.
    bobw3 said:

Funny thing is, some people believe that. Usually, they have never driven said cars.
    carboy21 said:

And those with German ancestry. Those 'superior race' genes :open_mouth:

If Toyota cars are considered appliances then the VW cars are like grandfathers appliances :smile:

Wow, I have been largely away from Edmonds for a while. I used to make sure and carve a half hour-to an hour out daily to come on here.

And now I'm catching up a tad. One of the things I'm now remembering is gagrice's love of VW's and diesels. I don't pretend ta know diddly about diesels except that....smell. Ooh-ooo that smell. Cant'tcha smell that smell?

Need ta edumacate myself on them and this thread is probably as good as anywhere ta do that. Though as things pick up here in Dodge City at work I'll need the Reader's Digest version moreso than the college textbook on diesels.

Lastly, I know someone in here can update me on what's going on U.S. release-wise with the VW Bulli. Gas engines and diesel options both available? Is the Bulli even going ta be built? Anywhere?

I think the VW Bulli concept could have evolved into the T6. Which of course is not available in the USA. VW seems to rely on Audi and Porsche to extract US dollars. Both brands sell extremely well in the USA. With dieselgate fresh in our minds, the less expensive diesels are off the table for now.
    carboy21 said:

II am so glad I got rid of that gas hog. And it has Nothing on the Touareg TDI but a bit bigger. The VW is faster, handles better, stops faster, more comfortable, and averages 11 MPG more over the last 26,000 miles. And it cost a couple thousand less to buy.

Touareg is smaller then a 4Runner, and no comparison to Sequoia. Apples to Oranges comparison between Seqouia and Touareg. You might be better off comparing it with a real SUV like 4Runner.

Funny you mention that. Grand daughter that bought our Sequoia, got rid of her 4Runner. Says the Seqouia is much nicer. She loves the Sequoia except the little things that break and the 15-16 MPG. Her 4Runner used the same amount of gas.

The comparison is for a vehicle that is great to travel cross country in. The ONLY advantage to the Seqouia was more room to haul STUFF. Having to buy gas every 300 miles vs 600 was a pain. After 36,000 miles in the Sequoia and 26,000 miles in the Touareg TDI the winner is very clear. Not a chance I would buy another Toyota. I do have a long history with Toyota. Buying a new Toyota Land Cruiser in 1964. That vehicle had more problems than any new vehicle I have ever owned. Valves and timing gear 3 times each in 50k miles.

I swore I would never buy another until we settled on the 2007 Sequoia. Not likely to buy another Toyota in my lifetime. By the way the 4Runner is butt ugly.
    fintail said:

I suppose the only reason why folks buy Lexus and Infiniti vehicles over Toyota and Nissan etc is because of the status symbol desire, and that others will think of them as "smart and sophisticated" if they are seen buying a higher priced brand.

bobw3 said:

I just don't see what people see in Japanese vehicles. I will say my Nissan PU is better than the Ford Ranger it replaced and superior to the Toyota Tacoma in every aspect. But it is nothing more than a utility appliance.

edited November 2015
    fintail said:

bobw3 said:

You know, I have to commend you for having such a logical response. The quoted posters original 5/6 paragraph response,op/ed, while his opinion, was, is, remains utter inflammatory crap!

I think also if Toyota Prius was so popular, it would have emerged from the "niche market" status, the original poster criticizes German TDI's for!!!

It also woul have sold more than 4 M units world wide in 15 years.

I agree with you, not everybody wants a Prius! Indeed that's why Toyota probably funded this $$ losing model, so they could sell all the other Toyota US gas models. Lots of folks LOVE gasser Toyota pick up trucks, for example. I have already gone on record stating that I would've probably bought a TLC TDI, if they had them in US markets. Knowing what I know about both, I am happy with the US markets diesel choices.

I was never fond of the "rich people are stupid" argument. If everyone and his pet monkey has been copying BMW this last decade (and they have), then BMW must have something that the other automakers wish to emulate. One has to admit that the "driving dynamics" have improved quite a bit in both American and Japanese cars, and I think the Germans deserve credit for inspiring that.
    gagrice said:

carboy21 said:

Funny you mention that. Grand daughter that bought our Sequoia, got rid of her 4Runner. Says the Seqouia is much nicer. She loves the Sequoia except the little things that break and the 15-16 MPG. Her 4Runner used the same amount of gas.

The comparison is for a vehicle that is great to travel cross country in. The ONLY advantage to the Seqouia was more room to haul STUFF. Having to buy gas every 300 miles vs 600 was a pain. After 36,000 miles in the Sequoia and 26,000 miles in the Touareg TDI the winner is very clear. Not a chance I would buy another Toyota. I do have a long history with Toyota. Buying a new Toyota Land Cruiser in 1964. That vehicle had more problems than any new vehicle I have ever owned. Valves and timing gear 3 times each in 50k miles.

I swore I would never buy another until we settled on the 2007 Sequoia. Not likely to buy another Toyota in my lifetime. By the way the 4Runner is butt ugly.
    Talking of personal anecdotal experiences, I have a 1999 Toyota 4Runner with 260 k odd miles on the clock. Never gave me any trouble, Just routine maintenance and fluid changes. Just this year after trouble free 250k miles, I pro-actively refurbished it with a new radiator, shocks and coils and lower and upper ball joints to give it a further new lease of life as I intend to run it to the ground over next 5 years :)
This discussion has been closed.