Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Noisy Shifter Reminds You That You're Driving a Machine - 2015 Ford Mustang GT Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited November 2015 in Ford
imageNoisy Shifter Reminds You That You're Driving a Machine - 2015 Ford Mustang GT Long-Term Road Test

The newly-installed short-shifter in Edmunds.com's 2015 Ford Mustang GT makes noise, but we welcome it.

Read the full story here

Comments

• daryleasondaryleason Member Posts: 501
    It doesn't make sense to me that replacing the factory shifter with a Ford Performance Parts Short-Throw Shifter would cause the transmission to start making noise where you could hear the gears. I can understand the shifter vibrating, due to bushing swaps, and so forth. I can understand it vibrating, due to less padding. But the gear noise makes no sense, unless that was already there.
  • ckuersckuers Member Posts: 21

It doesn't make sense to me that replacing the factory shifter with a Ford Performance Parts Short-Throw Shifter would cause the transmission to start making noise where you could hear the gears. I can understand the shifter vibrating, due to bushing swaps, and so forth. I can understand it vibrating, due to less padding. But the gear noise makes no sense, unless that was already there.

The gear noise was there before. The stock shifter assembly just did a better job of isolating the noise from the cabin.

A metal bushing has replaced the rubber bushing on the shifter assembly - thus eliminating the nosie/vibration isolation.
  • defyant15defyant15 Member Posts: 74
    Seems like a mod of questionable value. The interior it nice and NVH free right now. I would like some more exhaust sound, thats all.
  • mtnbiker8mtnbiker8 Member Posts: 39
    The Blowfish Racing shifter bracket would have been a cheaper and better investment (these guys need to check out forums I guess). The BF attaches the back of the shifter directly to the transmission turning a mushy semi-remote shifter essentially into a top-loader. Lots better feel. Better alignment of shifter to tranny. Better shifting. And leaves just enough rubber at both ends to keep things pretty quiet. Love mine.
  • daryleasondaryleason Member Posts: 501
    mtnbiker8 said:

The Blowfish Racing shifter bracket would have been a cheaper and better investment (these guys need to check out forums I guess). The BF attaches the back of the shifter directly to the transmission turning a mushy semi-remote shifter essentially into a top-loader. Lots better feel. Better alignment of shifter to tranny. Better shifting. And leaves just enough rubber at both ends to keep things pretty quiet. Love mine.

@mtnbiker8

So with the blowfish shifter, do you have to drop the tranny to install it as well?
  • mtnbiker8mtnbiker8 Member Posts: 39
    No need to take anything off but the OEM rear bracket. Install videos are easy to find.