Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Sold Back to Chevy - 2015 Chevrolet Colorado Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited November 2015 in Chevrolet
Sold Back to Chevy - 2015 Chevrolet Colorado Long-Term Road Test

A quick phone call to a Chevy dealer yielded an excellent price for our 2015 Chevrolet Colorado.

Read the full story here

Comments

• daryleasondaryleason Member Posts: 501
    Well. I apologize to whomever it was in the last post said to take it to a Chevy Dealership. I genuinely believed that they wouldn't have beat the CarMax offer. Although from the sounds of it, the Chevy dealership must be moving the Colorados, which is why he wanted it, so I'm not sure if my reasoning was too off. But to whoever you were (and I don't remember who posted it...plus I'm too lazy to go back and look), you were right and I was wrong.
  • nate001nate001 Member Posts: 102
    @s197gt Good suggestion about checking with the Chevy dealer.

I also just went to the Keyes Chevrolet website the truck is listed at $33,998, which seems high given that is $1539 less then new and now that it has 22,000 miles on it.
    Goes back to the asking price. They'd discount it "deep" to about 30 - 31 grand, unless they can find someone who's more interested in what the monthly payment amount is than what the Total Financed Amount or Interest rate is.
  • iamthestigiamthestig Member Posts: 85
    nate001 said:

I also just went to the Keyes Chevrolet website the truck is listed at $33,998, which seems high given that is $1539 less then new and now that it has 22,000 miles on it.

I wonder if that high asking price is more of a tool to sell new Colorados at a smaller discount. Someone looking at a new $36,000 Colorado, who hasn't done much research, might look at this used one for $34k and think two things -- 1) Don't expect much of a discount on a new Colorado since it's already so "cheap" being close to the price of a used one, and 2) Colorados must really hold their value so this is a good purchase.
  • desmoliciousdesmolicious Member Posts: 671

nate001 said:

I wonder if that high asking price is more of a tool to sell new Colorados at a smaller discount. Someone looking at a new $36,000 Colorado, who hasn't done much research, might look at this used one for $34k and think two things -- 1) Don't expect much of a discount on a new Colorado since it's already so "cheap" being close to the price of a used one, and 2) Colorados must really hold their value so this is a good purchase.
    I've had that experience at a moto shop. I had my bike on consignment, they had it priced much higher than it was worth so they could say that for just a few bux more you could have a new one.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited November 2015
    Seems like an expensive way to market a new vehicle. If it was their bike, and not yours, the pricing would likely have been more in line with the market.

Dealers do seem to ask crazy money for lightly used cars though.
  • tommister2tommister2 Member Posts: 393
    I hope you get a new Tacoma next!
    2011 Toyota Camry, 2014 Jeep Wrangler, 2017 Honda Civic Coupe, 2019 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XSE, 2021 Toyota Tundra, 2022 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Tesla Model 3
    I'm holding out for them to buy a late 80s-mid 90s Full size extended cab to compare to their current full size line up. Or a DeLorean. Although, for all the complaints about the size of the Colorado, how about an early 90s Ford Ranger Extended Cab or Chevrolet S-10 Extended cab?
  • nomercy346nomercy346 Member Posts: 69
    @daryleason
    yeah a GMT400 Chevy with a 350 would make a good no-payment long termer in the footsteps of the ES300. I guess it would be pretty uneventful, though.
  • s197gts197gt Member Posts: 486
    i think $500 for my great idea (that his colleague may or may not have stolen from me) seems fair...
  • metalmaniametalmania Member Posts: 167
    "Hmm, if only there were another standout truck in this segment that we could bring into the fleet." Do we foresee a new Tacoma entering the Edmunds stable? Makes sense and would be a nice back to back comparison to see if the "all new" (sort of) Tacoma surpasses the Chevy. I think we all know it will be no contest off road, but I'm more interested in the rest of the day to day stuff. Would be nice to see maybe a diesel GMC Canyon too, get a comparison of both the new engine and whether GMC's interior differences are much better or not a big deal (I suspect the latter).

@daryleason
    yeah a GMT400 Chevy with a 350 would make a good no-payment long termer in the footsteps of the ES300. I guess it would be pretty uneventful, though.

Yeah...it'd be uneventful because that generation of GMC truck ran great. The same for the F-150s. So long as they were maintained by schedule, they very rarely ever had problems. My parents' first new vehicle was a 1993 Chevrolet C1500 Silverado (back when the Silverado was a top of the line package, not the model) extended cab short step side with the LT-350, 4 Speed Auto, power everything, console & Captain's chairs. They put 370,000 miles on it before the engine over-heated due to a broken fan belt and warped the heads. Then they put another 30,000 miles on it before they bought another truck. The next truck they bought was a 2000 Dodge Ram SLT and it burned through three auto transmissions in a year. Went to a 2002 F150 and literally drove the rear axle off it.
  • desmoliciousdesmolicious Member Posts: 671
    Please make it the TRD Tacoma.