Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Summer Tires Used In Winter

v312155v312155 Member Posts: 14
edited November 2015 in Audi
QUESTION #1 -
Five months ago I purchased a brand new Audy SQ5 with 21' tires. I was told I could only order Summer Tires, not All Seasons.
What are the draw backs in using Summer Tires all year around? I live out side Philadelphia.

QUESTION #2 -
Does anyone recommend a good All Season tire for when these Summer Tires wear out.

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,185
    v312155 said:

QUESTION #1 -
    Five months ago I purchased a brand new Audy SQ5 with 21' tires. I was told I could only order Summer Tires, not All Seasons.
    What are the draw backs in using Summer Tires all year around? I live out side Philadelphia.

QUESTION #2 -
    Does anyone recommend a good All Season tire for when these Summer Tires wear out.

Thanks!

The drawback is you will either end up in a ditch or a wreck. In sub-40F weather, like we are already having, summer tires are hazardous. Add in precipitation and you'll really be hurting.

It's doubtful you could find winter tires in that size. If it were me, I'd be shopping for set of 18" or 19" winters on a dedicated set of wheels.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    capriracercapriracer Member Posts: 907
    Allow me to second that summer tires are totally inappropriate for winter weather usage - winter being defined as snow and ice!

2 choices. Park the car and drive a beater! (my preferred solution!) or a set of winter tires.
  • Options
    thecardoc3thecardoc3 Member Posts: 5,747
    You should be able to get 20" tires and wheels and then its an easy change over between winter and summer.