Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Need to Slam Shut Light Doors - 2015 Ford F-150 Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited November 2015 in Ford
imageNeed to Slam Shut Light Doors - 2015 Ford F-150 Long-Term Road Test

This long-term update to Edmunds' long-term 2015 Ford F-150 details the nuances of the truck's lightweight aluminum doors.

Read the full story here

Comments

• daryleasondaryleason Member Posts: 501
    edited November 2015
    I had a 2015 F-150 SuperCrew as a rental and noticed this too. It was a big deal to me. The door rattling going down the highway was a pain the rear end. Plus, slamming the doors eventually ruins them. Also, please note. This is an edited post because I used a synonym for "rear end" that got filtered. Chalk it up to our changing culture, but I didn't consider that that would be offensive to some people.
  • kirkhilles1kirkhilles1 Member Posts: 863
    A door that doesn't close all the way without slamming is a fundamental design flaw. How is this truck going to look after 10-15 years of hard utility use?
  • nate001nate001 Member Posts: 102
    This is a reason to avoid buying the 1st gen product after a big redesign, when Ford goes back over this vehicle and looks at mid cycle changes the door gaskets will probably be one of the things that the engineers will have noticed in every day use then use different gaskets to get a good seal.

The sound and feel of a car door when it is shut gives a big impression of the overall build quality of the car to me. Its the little details that make a big difference and both the F-150 and Mustang have minor issues with the doors/trunk working correctly.
  • brauchbrauch Member Posts: 19
    I'm going to guess this issue has less to do with the weight of the door and more to do with how tightly sealed the cab is. Try this experiment: crack a window and let us know whether the shuts more easily.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    @nate001, unfortunately some manufacturers "build to the test". They spend a lot of engineering time to get a satisfying clunk out of the doors closing - meanwhile the headliner sags and you have to remove a fender to replace the battery. :p
  • allthingshondaallthingshonda Member Posts: 878
    edited November 2015
    The doors not closing is a sign of how tight the cabin is sealed in combination with the light doors. You will find that if you crack a window or close a door with another one open this is not going to happen. Modern cars, like the F-150, are sealed so tightly that the air pressure in the vehicle pushes back on the door. With a window open the air is pushed out as the door is closed. It might help if all cars had the auto window opening/closing with the door like cars with frameless windows. Simple solution to help the doors close easier.
  • saxdoggsaxdogg Member Posts: 38
    My ram 2500's doors are similarly hard to close. I just maintain contact of my hand and apply even pressure all the way to the latching and it closes fine. I don't slam. Even one finger helps. Not a big deal.
  • john_in_tcjohn_in_tc Member Posts: 28
    I just spent three days as a passenger on a friends new F-150. The doors are light and easy to close. I never experienced the problem you are reporting. Try taking the truck in and having the doors aligned. By the way, his rear wheel drive 2.7 liter F-150 got 24 mpg for a day of driving with four people, and camping gear that include going over a mountain pass, and a short stint of city traffic.
  • jerrry44jerrry44 Member Posts: 16
    I had not noticed this with the doors being difficult to close on my dad's new f150. So I tried them out today when I went by his house. You have to be more firm than on my 2011 f150, but I wouldn't consider it a "slam" at all. I wouldn't even think it is worth a mention. If you're going to have a good tight seal on any door I would think you need to be a little firm to get it shut.
  • EricaMuellerEricaMueller Member Posts: 2
    We noticed this too when we had the 2015 F-150 for a week. It was rather annoying. I'm hoping to see it remedied in the 2016 model!
  • cherrycoke1cherrycoke1 Member Posts: 2
    I personally don't think anything's wrong with the doors. I do this all the time on my 15, (so much so that my wife laughs at me). Ive driven new Chevy's that do the same thing. Yes, with my F 150 it may be more obvious but remember the seals are new and the doors have less mass. Big changes take some getting use to and people are comparing aluminum to steel. My bed pops and cracks like crazy when I walk in it and its annoying, but so far its not causing any issues. This new F 150 will take some getting use to but I think the move to aluminum will prove to be a good one.