Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2016 Honda Pilot - Initial Impression,

tarunkalra1tarunkalra1 Member Posts: 10
edited June 2015 in Honda
I test drove a 2016 Honda Pilot EX-L Model today Jun 18, 2016.

The following were my impressions

1.I like the new looks vs boxy look of the 2015 and prior models.

2. The vehicle does NOT look large from outside but has ample room even in the 3rd row. Even the 3rd row could comfortably accommodate 2 adults.

3. The engine seemed to have ample power, it accelerated well from stop and rode well on freeway

4. The information display screen was large with touch screen controls for stereo, navigation and lot of other applications.

5. The vehicle comes in 2WD and AWD and the 25+ MPG is impressive.

I would rate it as EXCELLENT

Comments

• skyking11skyking11 Member Posts: 3
    I went to my local dealer with the hopes of actually purchasing the new Pilot. What I discovered is that the 2016 Pilot is a VAN and not an SUV. If they had named it Odyssey (a van) it would have been honest. The front seats are van seats. The console is designed for a soccer mom, not an SUV driver. It feels like a van when I sit inside. So far I have not had time to actually drive it but I will soon and report on that (expecting that it drives well).

The only way I could possibly purchase one of these is if they give me the option of real, comfortable front seats complete with a real center console to rest my right arm on (instead of the current flimsy van armrest. then I could ignore all the van stuff behind me.

If you want a better, more powerful Odyessy, this is for you. If you want a Pilot you will be disappointed!
  • ck90211ck90211 Member Posts: 159
    I totally second skyking11's assessment, and found the regular Ody to have way better 3rd row access, space and comfort. Only things new Pilot gives you is higher seat (perhaps better visibility for some), AWD and more oomph from stoplights. I might still get one (need AWD and towing) but not until some good incentives come a year or 2 from now.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    You get two more inches of ground clearance on the Pilot. Low GC is one of the few grumbles I have about my vans.

Plus there's AWD available.
  • carboy21carboy21 Member Posts: 760
    As soon as I saw the photo here I knew this is nothing but a jacked up Odyssey on stilts. Now skyking11 has confirmed my first impressions. If you want a Odyssey with higher driving stance, no sliding doors and an AWD then this Pilot is the Odyssey clone for you :)
  • kaos64kaos64 Member Posts: 2
    To me, this redesign is a step backwards. It looks like an Odyssey. I would never buy this.
  • joeldavid1joeldavid1 Member Posts: 10
    Having just sold my 2005 Honda Odyssey Touring after may good years we have decided to get a 2016 Pilot ELITE (Lease) but are still open to other options so please feel to chime in. Trying leasing for the first time and all I ever hear about is get models (i.e. Imports) that have a high residual value.

So the kids are 11 & 12 and along with Mom and Dad we all want to get out of the Mini-van and modernize our look. We LOVED the Odyssey and think the new redesign of the Pilot has great lines and it is a Honda. So the comments about nothing more than a supped up Odyssey does not bother me and where we live in New England the AWD is great option.
    joeldavid1 :

Plonking all these 40 and more grands for the Elite, you will be better off putting the same money on the Accura MDX and have a higher bragging rights .
    I would go for MDX anyday then a higher-end Pilot.
    Pilot is ok upto EX-L trim, after that a Accura MDX makes more sense. :smile:
  • toledo73toledo73 Member Posts: 174
    Great comments, folks. I tend to agree with some posters about the MDX. If you're going to load up a pilot, you may as well get the acura MDX. I lease a CRV and really like Honda products, but I'll be 67 soon and want to go upscale. So, the RDX, MDX and Pilot are on my list. Just curious if anyone has looked at the new Highlander. I intend to add that on my test drive list as well.
  • joeldavid1joeldavid1 Member Posts: 10
    carboy 21 do you feel the same if I am going to lease and not buy and if so why? Thank-you
    joeldavid1

Compare lease rates of Elite and the MDX with equivalent options . I would still go for MDX as it is a tried and tested model and very popular , whereas Elite is a new model with many unknown kinks not yet ironed out. Test drive both and decide which is better.
    MDX has a better overall aesthetics and has been around for a long time with high resale values or residual values when leased. New Pilot is nothing but a jacked up Odyssey , minus the sliding doors. Speced out Elite and the Touring MDX would have similar lease payments so why not go for the more well known and superior MDX.
    A Lexus would be any day better then a top of the line Camry. Accura is to Honda what Lexus is to Camry.
  • MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,065
    carboy21 said:

MDX has a better overall aesthetics and has been around for a long time with high resale values or residual values when leased. New Pilot is nothing but a jacked up Odyssey , minus the sliding doors. Speced out Elite and the Touring MDX would have similar lease payments so why not go for the more well known and superior MDX.
    A Lexus would be any day better then a top of the line Camry. Accura is to Honda what Lexus is to Camry.

Yet Toyota manages to sell or lease every Highlander they can produce .. pricing similar to the Pilot (low to mid 40's fully equipped). And the lease numbers on the Highlander are worse than on the RX350.

I don't think Honda will have any problem moving every Pilot they can make.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• msp5msp5 Member Posts: 4
    Test drove an EXL AWD yesterday. We liked almost everything about the new Pilot. Nice ride, smooth acceleration and a well crafted, highly functional interior. We especially liked the camera on the passenger side mirror that displayed the side view image on the center display when the right turn indicator was activated. Very cool and a nice safety feature. My wife and I both hated the cheap feeling, cheap looking, and totally uncomfortable armrests on the front seats. What was Honda thinking? They seem like a total afterthought. We sat down with the dealer and he was willing to go $1,000 below MSRP and work with us on our trade. Ultimately decided to take a pass. We just couldn't get past those silly armrests. Drove to a nearby Toyota dealer and bought a Highlander.
    I don't think Honda will have any problem moving every Pilot they can make.

Agreed because there are many more dumb buyers then smart buyers, almost 10 : 1 ratio.
    When Pilot was first introduced, it became a cult car and people were spotting them like excited kids and talking about it endlessly . The most ugly boxy contraption ever seen apart from the truck like 'genuine' SUVs like Toyota 4Runner.
  • lawphillawphil Member Posts: 4
    Very true about dumb buyers!!

We were at the dealership last night and they had a LONG list of excuses of why they're not negotiating price. Additionally, every dealership is adding accessories bringing to the actual price $2k above msrp and they won't give you the option of removing them. Comical thing is people are overpaying for them without even realizing they're throwing thousands more away the second they drive it off the lot.

We love the Pilot despite its feel of cheap accents but there's no way we're gonna pay msrp. Based on the other posts from people that have already bought one, they're already having problems with the door locks. No thank you Honda. Situations like this made us realize why we always buy Acura.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Edmunds just got a 2016 Pilot Elite for the fleet.

2016 Honda Pilot Long-Term Road Test - Introduction
  • pinky56pinky56 Member Posts: 2
    The criticism of van vs. SUV are bit funny as the original SUVs were basically pickup truck chassis with a station wagon style body on it. They adopted a more "manly" style to assuage the egos of men having to haul kids to little league.
    Minivans are disparaged as "feminine" despite the fact that as people haulers they trump every SUV out there.
    SUVs have only of late scraped back some utility and fuel economy by abandoning the body on frame design and adopting the unibody and FWD of minivans.
    Marketers are acutely aware of the masculine egos and style their SUV/Crossovers to look rugged and "Manly" despite the fact that the most intense environment they will usually encounter in their life a is a car wash.

If you really have "manly" jobs to do with your vehicle buy a commercial van or a pickup. Don't complain that your leather covered SUV is a minivan. Heck, they all are.
  • pinky56pinky56 Member Posts: 2
    lawphil said:

No thank you Honda. Situations like this made us realize why we always buy Acura.

Uh, you do know that Honda makes Acura . Right?
  • grimustimusgrimustimus Member Posts: 7
    I love the comments about the Pilot being a van. LOL. Technically, the Odyssey, Pilot & Ridgeline all sit on the same chassis (and from what I've read, the new, reintroduced Ridgeline will again sit on the same platform as the Odyssey & Pilot.) If you want a "real" SUV, go buy the Tahoe, Suburban, Expedition, etc.
  • grimustimusgrimustimus Member Posts: 7
    Oh ... and if the dealer won't negotiate price with you ... WALK. AWAY. FAST. That dealer is NOT a dealer you want to do business with. (That being said, discounts on Honda's rarely go beyond 10%)
  • odie6lodie6l Member Posts: 1,173
    I'm loving Smoky (my '16 EX-L/RES) and will do a 1 year assessment when the time comes. I did just create a thread for Issues, TSB's, and Recalls (2 already, with a possible 3rd)

Odie
  • toledo73toledo73 Member Posts: 174
    pinky56 said:

lawphil said:

No thank you Honda. Situations like this made us realize why we always buy Acura.

Uh, you do know that Honda makes Acura . Right?
    GM makes cadillac and chevy. So?