Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Crash-Tested - 2015 Jeep Renegade Trailhawk Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited November 2015 in Jeep
imageCrash-Tested - 2015 Jeep Renegade Trailhawk Long-Term Road Test

I stopped for a red light in our 2015 Jeep Renegade. The silver Toyota Celica didn't.

Read the full story here

Comments

• ebeaudoinebeaudoin Member Posts: 509
    That will buff out.
  • reminderreminder Member Posts: 383
    That clown in the Toyota needs to spend more time looking out the wind shield, instead of the smartphone.
  • darthbimmerdarthbimmer Member Posts: 606
    Glad nobody got hurt and the damage to your ride was minimal. I doubt a steering wheel misalignment would result from a minor rear-ender like that.
  • kirkhilles1kirkhilles1 Member Posts: 863
    Don't worry. It'll still be $3k in damages.
  • diigiidiigii Member Posts: 156
    That's exactly how my 2012 Nissan Quest got rear-ended by a 1996 Honda Del Sol in Newport News, VA last September. Honda was too fast, couldn't stopped and went under my rear bumper and just crumpled the hood. My van's rear bumper was scratched, punctured. But the tailgate was fine. But I think the rear wheel alignment got affected as I noticed significant wear on the outside of the right rear tire.
  • prndlolprndlol Member Posts: 140
    Wow, this is the THIRD long term tester smacked into recently. First the ILX, followed by the Sedona and now the Renegade. Obviously accidents happen, but I wonder if the driver's reaction would be so muted if had been their own cars damaged by the ineptitude of others.
  • agentorangeagentorange Member Posts: 893
    Be interesting to see if this damage appears on CarFax when Edmunds want to move this vehicle on.
  • gslippygslippy Member Posts: 514

Be interesting to see if this damage appears on CarFax when Edmunds want to move this vehicle on.

Probably won't; Carfax is nearly worthless AFAIC, and that's one reason they give the Carfax report away for free.

My former Leaf's $4000 in front-end damage was never reported to Carfax by the Nissan-approved garage. How do I know this? After trading my car, I found it on Cars.com several states away in a used car lot, and it had a clean Carfax. I emailed the dealer and told them of the damage and their incorrect Carfax, but all I received was an auto-reply asking if I wanted to buy it. It just sold this week, and the new buyer has no idea, even though the repair was done well.
  • actualsizeactualsize Member Posts: 451
    edited November 2015
    I don't remember the steering wheel being off-kilter. Best to get an alignment check to see if the submarining Celica contacted a wheel and knocked out the rear toe-in.

As for the Car Fax, I think the damage has to reach a certain threshold, doesn't it? I'm not worried about and don't want to eliminate potentially good used cars because of this sort of simple accident if it's truly just a bumper cover and a new tow hook. Now the Celica, a tow-away that probably has more than bolt-on damage, I'd be more interested in knowing about. If the frame has to get pulled out, then I'm listening. But the F-150's dented box side, and replaced taillight I'm probably OK with.

Where's your line in the sand?

Twitter: @Edmunds_Test

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Lots of shops and dealers give the reporting services access to their data (and in one sense, the customer's data). If you want to use, say, Mitchell, in your shop to help you fix your customer's cars, Mitchell may grab the service or repair data and share it with Carfax. (automotivemanagementnetwork.com/)
  • desmoliciousdesmolicious Member Posts: 671
    Does the Jeep's driveline still grumble/vibrate?
  • gslippygslippy Member Posts: 514

As for the Car Fax, I think the damage has to reach a certain threshold, doesn't it? I'm not worried about and don't want to eliminate potentially good used cars because of this sort of simple accident if it's truly just a bumper cover and a new tow hook.

My Leaf required a frame stretch and some welding, plus a host of body parts on the front left corner. No record of it on Carfax. If Carfax has a threshold, it must be pretty high.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Sometimes it takes months for work to show up too, and sometimes it never shows up at all.
  • dgcamerodgcamero Member Posts: 148
    gslippy said:

As for the Car Fax, I think the damage has to reach a certain threshold, doesn't it? I'm not worried about and don't want to eliminate potentially good used cars because of this sort of simple accident if it's truly just a bumper cover and a new tow hook.

My Leaf required a frame stretch and some welding, plus a host of body parts on the front left corner. No record of it on Carfax. If Carfax has a threshold, it must be pretty high.
    The new buyer should be eligible for a buyback if you get it on the Carfax report somehow.