Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Tires and Tribulations - 2015 Ford Mustang GT Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited November 2015 in Ford
imageTires and Tribulations - 2015 Ford Mustang GT Long-Term Road Test

A few weeks of non-stop abuse left the tires on our long-term 2015 Ford Mustang GT in a sorry state.

Read the full story here

Comments

• daryleasondaryleason Member Posts: 501
    And now everyone knows how to defeat a locking lug-nut on a car.
  • ebeaudoinebeaudoin Member Posts: 509

And now everyone knows how to defeat a locking lug-nut on a car.

Any true wheel thief has the tools or knows how to get them. The locking nuts simply make it a more time-consuming task.

That's a risky move for a new Edmunds writer, Reese ;) You must have a lot of chutzpah!
  • kirkhilles1kirkhilles1 Member Posts: 863
    Thank you for making me realize how stupid those locks are. I mean, if that's all it takes to do it, then how are they going to prevent someone from stealing them. I guess you're better off just going with standard lugs and make sure you're well insured. FYI, I did have a Firestone shop that forgot to put the key back in the glove compartment. Clearly, no one should pay EXTRA for this option
  • longtimelurkerlongtimelurker Member Posts: 455
    I think the truth is that most cars don't pass though a dozen drivers' hands from one tire replacement to another. I don't view keeping track of my cars' wheel lock keys as much of a challenge of my organizational abilities.
  • subatomicsubatomic Member Posts: 140
    I still believe in wheel locks. Some years ago, I lived in an apartment complex in Greece, NY (just outside of Rochester). In one month, two late model cars had their wheels and tires stolen. Each car was found sitting on concrete blocks in the morning. I was so worried, I had the local dealership install wheel locks on my sports coupe, which was only a few years old at the time. I agree that wheel locks may not stop well equipped professional thieves, but the locks provide an extra layer of security. When you factor in the total cost of four OEM alloy wheels and the included tires, you are looking at a couple thousand dollars, at the very least.
  • daryleasondaryleason Member Posts: 501
    What I'm happy to see is that it's another example of how all problems can be solved with the judicious application of a hammer.
  • mtnbiker8mtnbiker8 Member Posts: 39
    Why not Michelin PSS's??? C'mon guys.
  • agentorangeagentorange Member Posts: 893
    The missing lock is probably nestled in the same place as the special socket for undoing the previous set of special security lugs for my truck. I expect there is lots of giggling.
  • tlangnesstlangness Member Posts: 123
    mtnbiker8 said:

Why not Michelin PSS's??? C'mon guys.

We want to test the car with the various performance upgrades on the same rubber. We'll consider new/different tires after that comparison is done.
  • rysterryster Member Posts: 571
    There is really no reason why the Service Advisor at the Ford dealer could have not simply borrowed the master key from the "busy guy", grabbed a lug wrench, and simply gone outside to the parking lot to help the customer remove the 4 locking lugs and bolt on the standard lugs. It would have taken no more than 10 minutes and would have been a courtesy to a Ford customer. The goodwill created by such a gesture would be worth way more than the $65 they wanted to charge.
  • thecardoc3thecardoc3 Member Posts: 5,747
    ryster said:

The goodwill created by such a gesture would be worth way more than the $65 they wanted to charge.

No it wouldn't. There is significant badwill generated by a consumer who buys tires online, and then is trying to use a different service provider for the install. The price quoted and the need to "come back tomorrow" was more than fair and if you think about it the response could have been a lot worse.