Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Subaru Crew - Meet The Members II

Comments

• xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,756
    So, power finally came back on at 0300 this morning, which put us right at 60 hours from start to finish. The house was still at sixty degrees, so it went pretty well, all told!
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    edited October 2015
    72° and sunny as I'm posting this. :)
  • MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,056
    rsholland said:

72° and sunny as I'm posting this. :)

45 and raining today in CO ...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• dcm61dcm61 Member Posts: 1,567
    edited October 2015
    6°C (43°F) and dark @ 8:45 pm here in England
    Five more days driving on the wrong side of the road in my Audi A4 Avant S-Line TDI 6spd MT rental.
    Wow! That sounds like a NICE rental! I think I could bear the weather in that.

You guys don't want to know what the weather is here. LOL
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • jfljfl Member Posts: 1,396
    edited October 2015
    About 21°C and sunny vacationing in Madrid, Spain. And yes, that is a sweet rental!
    Had the same rental last year. White last year, silver this year. Reserved a VW Passat wagon last year and Skoda Octavia wagon this year, but was assigned an Audi A4 wagon each time. Was offered a Ford Galaxy minivan w/AT for a little more this year ... hmm, no thanks.

The A4 is only FWD, but handles nice with 245/40-18 Pirelli P7's and rowing the 6 speed with my left hand. The in-dash NAV comes in handy navigating all the roundabounts. And nice, comfy heated leather seats.
    xwesx said:

Wow! That sounds like a NICE rental! I think I could bear the weather in that.

You guys don't want to know what the weather is here. LOL

When I was in the UK, perhaps 18 or so years ago, we had a really nice Volvo V70 and a Rover-Honda (forget the name).
    Wow; I had a rather interesting adventure last night!

I let a friend borrow my car (08 Forester) a couple weeks ago, so my wife and I are currently sharing the '10. Yesterday was a "her" day, so she picked me up from work at about 1800. As we're driving down the road, she exclaims how exhausted she is, that she plans to stop by the supermarket for "doughnuts and apple cider" (both an oddity for us, but apparently it is a seasonal thing) and get home ASAP. I mention that we need chicken feed (feed store is on our way), and she's not real happy about this, but she agrees to stop.

The stop takes.... a while. Stars aligning and all that, she's still not happy.

We get to the supermarket and park the car next to a bunch of randomly strewn carts who's last stewards were rather lazy, and agree to take them back to the store. Everyone (had the full family in tow) grabs a cart or two, and off we go. As we near the store, I see a lady unloading a cart, so I offer to return it for her. In the meantime, there's a couple having car trouble with a 2005 Forester to the left of me, but I didn't notice.

We get inside, return the carts, and my wife says, "I think those people were having car trouble. Maybe you can help?" I figured I might as well see what's up, so out I go. Turns out, the folks having trouble were acquaintances (man was, anyway) who live near to us, so I said hello and engaged in small talk. He thought the issue may be a battery, and he just bought one, but didn't have tools on him and the car wouldn't start. I did, so I grabbed them, swapped out the battery, and we continue to chat. Apparently, they just returned from several months away, and their son was using the car while they were gone. He said it was making a "tapping" noise when they started it up that night (the first they drove it since their return).

I suggested we check the oil, as the tapping may be due to low oil and be the camshafts making noise against the lifters (very tell-tale in the EJ25). He checks it... dry. DRY! Not good. So, his wife gets out two quarts, we add it, and now the reading is in the "okay" range. Now though, he starts the car. Oh my.... that's no tapping sound! No, no. At first, it was a clear rod knock. Then, lots of squealing, continued knocking, intermittent squeals. I suggested that the engine spun a bearing and was not long for this world. He asked if he could drive it home (if it would last that long). I didn't recommend it, plus it was in town already (versus having to tow it in from out in the boonies if he wanted to have work done on it).

So, they loaded all their groceries up into our car, we all (six) piled in, and we gave them a ride home. Once home ourselves, we enjoyed doughnuts and cider while we marveled about how the timing all worked out on that. Hopefully, they get their engine sorted out, but I look forward to hearing the followup story the next time I see him! :)
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited November 2015
    A reporter is looking to get in touch with car owners who are waiting for replacement parts, etc. for their faulty Takata air bags. If you're an affected owner and you'd like to help, please reach out to pr@edmunds.com by no later than Monday, November 9, 2015.

(Affects 2003–2005 Baja, Legacy, Outback; 2004–2005 Impreza, Impreza WRX, Impreza WRX STI).
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    stever said:

(Affects 2003–2005 Baja...

Are all 37 of them affected?

:D
  • hondafriekhondafriek Member Posts: 2,984
    edited November 2015
    INTRODUCING MISS DAISY.

Meet Miss Daisy 2016 KIA SOUL Luxury We had to trade the Kia Forte turbo after ten months we both have serious back problems and we found the combination of large doors and low height to be too hard on the back. The middle photo is on the afternoon of the day I picked it up new winter rims and tires installed plus door visors. Other two photos are on Sunday when I installed side skirts and spoiler. We are loving the extra height and smooth quiet ride of the Soul.

Cheers Pat.
    edited November 2015
    Keep me posted Pat, been shopping these pretty hard the past year. I wonder what the comparable model to the SX Luxury here is in the States. Probably the ! with Premium package. We want the pano roof and all the bells & whistles too. Is that the Titanium metallic colour or is my monitor playing tricks on me? We don't get all the good colours here like you do. And the local dealers pretty much stick to the base models.

Something tells me we'd get more use out of those air-cooled seats than you will. :)

Love it!

Love to see some more pics too.
  • ladywclassladywclass Member Posts: 1,713
    I shopped Kia Soul when I was looking this past July. I liked the ! Soul. It was a much different feel from the base model ...

INTRODUCING MISS DAISY.

Meet Miss Daisy 2016 KIA SOUL Luxury We had to trade the Kia Forte turbo after ten months we both have serious back problems and we found the combination of large doors and low height to be too hard on the back. The middle photo is on the afternoon of the day I picked it up new winter rims and tires installed plus door visors. Other two photos are on Sunday when I installed side skirts and spoiler. We are loving the extra height and smooth quiet ride of the Soul.

Cheers Pat.

Congrats Pat. AJ (juice) recently drove one, and loved it. Another friend of mine recently bought one and is very happy with it. That said, be aware that here in the States Kia recently announced a recall due to a steering issue. Canada will likely do the same.

I hear ya with the back problems. I've got 3 vertebrae that are out of alignment, disk degeneration, arthritis and stenosis in the lower back. I've been doing physical therapy which has helped, plus I try to walk 5 miles a day (8K) 5 times a week.
    Nice, Pat! Quite a departure from prior rigs. :)
    stever said:

Keep me posted Pat, been shopping these pretty hard the past year. I wonder what the comparable model to the SX Luxury here is in the States. Probably the ! with Premium package. We want the pano roof and all the bells & whistles too. Is that the Titanium metallic colour or is my monitor playing tricks on me? We don't get all the good colours here like you do. And the local dealers pretty much stick to the base models.

Something tells me we'd get more use out of those air-cooled seats than you will. :)

Love it!

Love to see some more pics too.

Steve You have a model there called the whole shebang I think that would be comparable to the luxury model here. And yes that is the Titanium Grey almost identical to the Steel blue color of The Forte5 I had which is what I wanted. No I got a lot of use out of the Aircooled drivers seat in the Forte now it is nice to have both front seats cooled. I like the big roof and I always go for all the bells and whistles. Every time I drive it now I have a big wide smile cannot believe how smooth and quiet it is compared to our last two cars. My dealer found me this one at another dealer within a day.

Cheers Pat.

Apparently the Sun & Sound Package ($2,600) and the Whole Shabang Package ($2,500) have been rolled into the Premium Package for 2016 down here ($4,400). The Umber packages have carried over (mostly a leather option). TMV for the one I want comes in around $26,000 USD.
    Bob Rita has severe stenosis at 4 levels in her back, she recently had a consultation with a top surgeon here who wanted to insert rods in here back. She told him in no uncertain terms what she thought of that proposal. I had back surgery that went badly wrong so we are not going down that road. She had to go the surgeon route in order to get into a pain management program. She can get epidural injections in her back several times a year. The injections do take the pain down somewhat. Years of wear and tear I guess, I often say getting older ain't for sissies.

Cheers Pat.
    stever said:

Apparently the Sun & Sound Package ($2,600) and the Whole Shabang Package ($2,500) have been rolled into the Premium Package for 2016 down here ($4,400). The Umber packages have carried over (mostly a leather option). TMV for the one I want comes in around $26,000 USD.

That's about on a par with the Canadian MRSP given the dollar exchange, the MRSP with all fees and freight less taxes is around $30,000 CDN. For the SX luxury. Tell you one thing I won't ever own anther car without the heated steering wheel, first had it in the Forte. The sound system is top notch in the Soul as well an Infinity system with a sub in the trunk.

Cheers Pat.
    Lot of bang for the buck - or Loonie!
    I had always said that my 'next' car would have a heated steering wheel... Unfortunately, I still don't have that .. :(

I had always said that my 'next' car would have a heated steering wheel... Unfortunately, I still don't have that .. :(

Maybe your next one will! :D
    I'm afraid this might be my last 'good' car ... we shall see ...

Bob Rita has severe stenosis at 4 levels in her back, she recently had a consultation with a top surgeon here who wanted to insert rods in here back. She told him in no uncertain terms what she thought of that proposal. I had back surgery that went badly wrong so we are not going down that road. She had to go the surgeon route in order to get into a pain management program. She can get epidural injections in her back several times a year. The injections do take the pain down somewhat. Years of wear and tear I guess, I often say getting older ain't for sissies.

Cheers Pat.

Pat, I used to do a lot of running, several decades of it. In fact I once did a marathon. I'm sure it all took a toll on my back.

I'm not a candidate for back surgery, nor do I want it. Every doctor I've spoken to says it rarely works. So I walk a lot and do stretches everyday, plus I see a chiropractor. Seems to help, but the damage is done. It will never be good again.

AH Brenda the heated steering wheel is almost worth the price of admission alone, at least for me. When my hands get cold I experience severe pain. So having the heated steering wheel is a blessing not a luxury.

Pat.
    rsholland said:

Cheers Pat.

Pat, I used to do a lot of running, several decades of it. In fact I once did a marathon. I'm sure it all took a toll on my back.

I'm not a candidate for back surgery, nor do I want it. Every doctor I've spoken to says it rarely works. So I walk a lot and do stretches everyday, plus I see a chiropractor. Seems to help, but the damage is done. It will never be good again.
    Bob, I advise anyone considering back surgery to forget it. In my case I didn't have a choice I fractured two vertebrae and blew out two discs in a workplace accident. During the surgery they nicked a nerve bundle and damaged the nerves to my bladder, they are irreparable leaving me with lifelong complications in that area. As well I make excess scar tissue and the spinal canal is now severely compressed with the scar tissue leaving me with chronic pain. I would say I am a poster child for how badly back surgery can go wrong.

Cheers Pat.
    stever said:

Lot of bang for the buck - or Loonie!

I would say it is good value, the level of equipment even puts some so called luxury cars to shame. It also tops all of the cars the cars with exception of Porsche in the JD Powell survey.

Cheers Pat.

My best friend in Texas bought the Kia Soul ! a couple of years ago and she absolutely loves it. It's the reason I looked at them in the first place. (I have to admit I do love the Honda CR-V, though.)

My best friend in Texas bought the Kia Soul ! a couple of years ago and she absolutely loves it. It's the reason I looked at them in the first place. (I have to admit I do love the Honda CR-V, though.)

Brenda you still driving the outback?

Cheers Pat.
    Well ... we still HAVE the Outback. In July, we were on our way out to eat when we smelled something nasty. While trying to figure out if it was the car or something outside the car, all sorts of lights flashed, the car jerked, and we lost all power. I coasted into a parking lot, put it in park, and could not get the key out. This happened before when the alternator went out. Uh ... we had a 'small fire' in the alternator. Small enough that Jack blew it out. We then walked home (maybe a mile) and called a tow truck. Got the other car and went back to wait. Of course it was a Friday night. Took it to our usual garage. Called on Monday and were shocked to be told that they had hooked it up to the charger and it started. They replaced the alternator at no charge as it had been done less than 2 years ago. I had also had an ignition coil fail a few months earlier that was also under warranty. Just had severe worries about the electrical system in general (and it's not the first time I've had some wiring issues). I started shopping and within a week, I had found my car. I really wanted a new Forester with all the bells and whistles but just couldn't afford it. Couldn't find a gently used one with low miles either! Found a really nice 2013 Honday CR-V in dark gray with light gray leather. It has everything but the nav and I don't miss that. We use our phones as I've never had it on a car before! I am trying to attach a picture. It is not the 'best' .. but this is the one I bought ..

1.jpg 2.3K
    Trying again for a better shot.

^^^^^ Web photos, but this is exactly like mine. I really do like the seat folding mechanism in this car. Folds from the sides or from the back. When I was looking, I knew I really had to have heated seats, AWD, and I have always preferred a wagon or hatchback. My garage mechanic actually suggested I look at these. He and his daughter each have a 2012 model.

^^^^^ Web photos, but this is exactly like mine. I really do like the seat folding mechanism in this car. Folds from the sides or from the back. When I was looking, I knew I really had to have heated seats, AWD, and I have always preferred a wagon or hatchback. My garage mechanic actually suggested I look at these. He and his daughter each have a 2012 model.

Nice car Brenda lots of luck with it. They are very highly rated so you should have years of trouble free driving. Our driving now is mainly in city so AWD hasn't been a big factor in our last several cars, besides if the weather sucks I just stay home. :)

Cheers Pat.
    Right now I probably could get by without the AWD, but for many years I was traveling to a school where I really did need it. It's a possibility again, so I'm glad to have it. We also go to see about Jack's dad who is not doing so well. He lives almost 2 hours away, so it's nice to know we can get there in just about any weather ...

Right now I probably could get by without the AWD, but for many years I was traveling to a school where I really did need it. It's a possibility again, so I'm glad to have it. We also go to see about Jack's dad who is not doing so well. He lives almost 2 hours away, so it's nice to know we can get there in just about any weather ...

Yeah AWD is nice if you are traveling beyond city limits, here in Ottawa the highways are pretty well clear within hours of a major snowstorm so it is no longer a requirement for us, besides we are retired and have no pressing need to be anywhere in a hurry, so if the weather is nasty we just watch it from a warm environment. B)

Cheers Pat.
  • volkovvolkov Member Posts: 1,306
    Wow! How long have I been away?
    Don't we have an administrator who can take away Crew rights from those of us who stray?!?Brenda, congrats on the new CRV. Mum and Dad just got one after someone decided to gun the red light instead of letting them complete their left turn. No one seriously injured except their RAV 4. I suggested they try it and they bought within 48 hrs. I think the number one reason they did was that the passenger seat height was perfect for Mum's tush and her two new knees.
    Pat, you are suddenly a kid again buying new cars left and right. Sorry to hear you are the poster child for failed back syndrome. Testify! I wouldn't want that for my worst enemy. Surgery has its risks and should always be reserved for specific symptoms. It isn't a good bet for most folks who just have back pain, but many folks, even medical professionals don't get that.
    Myself, I must confess, I have also drifted. WRX getting creaky and cranky. As with many of the newer models, the steering rack went this year needing a $1500 repair. I decided this fall to indulge myself a little. Drove a Caddy CTS here and a few of the luxury brands in Vancouver on a trip. Fell in love with the new Mercedes C 450 AMG sport. Stupid fast and stupid fun with an interior design to die for. Despite some minor finish flaws, I have never wanted a car that was in my purchase reality more in my life. Then the new CR and JD power reliability data came out showing that the MB C class stats dropped off a cliff and with the nearest dealer 300 miles away, my logical side over-ruled my midlife crisis needs. I ended up buying a Lexus GS350 F sport AWD. Never thought it would even be in the conversation. I ended up driving it to kill 2 hours in between other appts at the Auto Mall. It is a very nice car. Almost as quick as the WRX at all out acceleration, and beats it hands down for just stomp and go wherever you are (the WRX always needs you to pay attention and shift into its sweet spot). What really sealed it was the handling. It is sooo much smoother in everyday driving, but with the adaptive suspension it is actually much more solid than the WRX when pushed despite being a bigger car. There is almost no feeling of understeer. Add in Lexus reliability and the fact that our local Toyo dealer can provide service, and it became a non brainer. My middle boy was VERY disappointed, but I won't get to use the AMG's capacity more than 1% of the time, so it made little sense. We are keeping the WRX short term - boys are just getting their licences, and if they don't learn to drive stick now, they never will. Who knows if they will ever need it, but you never know.
    Happy Thanksgiving to All.
    (Except Pat - belated Thanksgiving to you ;-) )

Nicholas
    I actually like the 2013 better than the newer ones. Partly because the console in this one is flush with the seats and there are separate fold down arm rests for the two front chairs. My husband is a large man and it feels more 'roomy' with no tall center console/armrest. I like because it's still a big deep console bin and I have a place to set my purse on top. Silly reasons, but it works for us. There is a lot more to like about it, though! It is very comfortable and doing good on gas mileage.
    Any reason you can verbalize isn't silly. Dra still doesn't get that I refused to buy an Acura due to terrible cup holders a dozen years ago. I loved everything else about the car. The design only allowed very short cups to fit. Given that 45% of my car's duty is my morning commute vehicle, if I can't enjoy my coffee from home along the way in a thermos mug, it is lacking.
    edited November 2015
    volkov said:

Wow! How long have I been away?

Nicholas

Nicholas! It HAS been quite a while!

Wow; congrats on the new car! Carnaught purchased one of those GS350s (not sure if it was the AWD version) recently as well. Sounds like quite a machine, though looking at that (stats, price, and appearance) vs. the MB, I'm not sure where my "inner boy" would have taken me in that decision. :)

OH, if there were a dealer within an hours drive, my inner boy would have jumped at the MB, reliability concerns be damned!! With a 5 hr+ drive if I had problems and the list of folks who required multiple trips to the dealer for certain issues with their new C class I just couldn't take the leap. Went from like 80 complaints per 100 vehicles in 2013 to 187 in 2014 iirc.
    Also,as you can understand, I could only enjoy its full capabilities 6 months of the year anyway and even then only if one pushed the envelope simply to push the envelope. The handling character of the two in city driving is almost indistinguishable ( the difference from the WRX is not.) and that is keeping my smile on.
    volkov said:

Also,as you can understand, I could only enjoy its full capabilities 6 months of the year anyway and even then only if one pushed the envelope simply to push the envelope. The handling character of the two in city driving is almost indistinguishable ( the difference from the WRX is not.) and that is keeping my smile on.

Ah, yes, I can certainly understand that! Heck, in the winter, my lowly Forester can be a cutting-edge performance car. :D

That's quiet a leap in complaints! I have to wonder if the jump was due to the inclusion of new tech? Most of the reliability concerns that are noted for a lot of newer vehicles are fit/finish and tech related rather than actual mechanical (or related electrical) concerns. Still, these things don't make the drive to the dealer any easier, but at least you can just note the issues, let them stack up, then plan the dealer trip.

Our nearest MB dealer is Anchorage, and that was definitely a consideration when I was seriously eyeballing an MB GLK350 BlueTec.
    edited November 2015
    volkov said:

OH, if there were a dealer within an hours drive, my inner boy would have jumped at the MB, reliability concerns be damned!! With a 5 hr+ drive if I had problems and the list of folks who required multiple trips to the dealer for certain issues with their new C class I just couldn't take the leap. Went from like 80 complaints per 100 vehicles in 2013 to 187 in 2014 iirc.

Congrats on the new Lexus Nicholas and welcome back.

Cheers Pat.
    Wishing everyone here a happy and peaceful Christmas, and may all your wishes come to fruition.
    Cheers Pat.
    Merry Christmas to you and Rita, Pat!
    Thanks Pat.

Happy Holidays to all the [remaining] crew.
    Happy New Year folks!
    Happy new year to you Bob and to all the members.

Cheers Pat.