Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2016 Honda CR-V Prices Paid and Buying Experiences

steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
edited November 2015 in Honda
And another year rolls around. Please talk about your 2016 CR-V shopping experience here. Dealer names are fine and it helps others to know what area of the country you are in since the deals vary by region.

Since we all have different tax rates, please skip the OTD info and let us know:
  1. the selling price

2. doc fees

3. and the trim you are shopping or purchased along with mats or other options.
You can find invoice and TMV numbers by using the Make | Model | Year dropdown tabs above.

Thanks!

(You can use this link for 2016 Honda CR-V Lease Questions).

Comments

• pothepandapothepanda Member Posts: 3
    edited November 2015
    So just picked up a 2016 CRV this afternoon in Texas. 

Trim: EX FWD
    Sales price with destination fee: $25,250
    Doc fee: $150

Extras: Nothing

Did I get a fair price or was I taken for a fool?
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited November 2015
    Let's see, invoice is $25,299, MSRP is $26,725 and TMV is $25,908. Those numbers all include the destination and there's $150 in ad fees for the Dallas zip code I picked. And TMV has a "Texas" surcharge of $109.

So you beat the TMV average for Dallas by a good $700 bucks. I think that's good for being one of the first on the block to get a 2016. The prices should be dipping below invoice in some areas of the country "soon". Might even be some deals at the end of this month.

From what I can tell, prices in Texas for Hondas generally aren't as aggressive as some other parts of the country. That could explain the "Texas" surcharge we're showing.

Congrats on the 2016! What color did you get?

• kp_73kp_73 Member Posts: 7
    Thanks @ Stever for starting new thread for 2016 CRV

Received email quote in NJ for 2016 CRV-EX-AWD

$24,945 Price
    880 Dest
    1807.75 Tax
    299 Doc
    296 registration
    7.85 Tire Tax
    7.00 Online Reg
    $28,242.60 Total OTD

Is that a fair price to pull the trigger?

Thank in advance for any advice
    Good example showing that CR-Vs are cheaper in whatever you call the area around the DC marsh up to the Water Gap/Pine Barrens.

Invoice for a Bridgewater zip is $26,365. There's no ad fee showing like there in Dallas.

Looks like your quote is $540 below invoice (I lump destination in with my numbers).

For a 2015, you should be able to get another $1,000 off, at least in theory. It's too soon for the 2016 numbers to fall that far - really, it's pretty good that they already are below invoice.

Guess it's like the old joke, Honda is losing money on every sale but they are making up for it on volume.

Also goes to show how the invoice number doesn't mean much anymore. (USA Today)

Looks good to me, @kp_73 - if you're in no hurry you could stall until the end of the month and try for some more off. Or tell them their doc fee is too high and that they should knock another $250 off the selling price.

Good luck!
    stever said:
    Let's see, invoice is $25,299, MSRP is $26,725 and TMV is $25,908. Those numbers all include the destination and there's $150 in ad fees for the Dallas zip code I picked. And TMV has a "Texas" surcharge of $109. So you beat the TMV average for Dallas by a good $700 bucks. I think that's good for being one of the first on the block to get a 2016. The prices should be dipping below invoice in some areas of the country "soon". Might even be some deals at the end of this month. From what I can tell, prices in Texas for Hondas generally aren't as aggressive as some other parts of the country. That could explain the "Texas" surcharge we're showing. Congrats on the 2016! What color did you get?
    Thanks, stever!  I tried to do some hw on what a fair offer would be when I went in. The dealerships here in Central Texas have never been as flexible on price for me as Houston or SA. I thought it was acceptable since we badly needed the vehicle. Picked up a white Diamond pearl that they'd just got in.
    edited November 2015
    Brilliant color! Especially for the part of the world you and I live in. :)

fwiw, I've shopped various models a bit in El Paso and they have "reasonable" dealers there but they don't appear exactly flexible either. Funny how that works.
    stever, I'm going to ask a follow-up since you're familiar with South/Central TX weather and general driving conditions... what's your opinion on buying that Honda Care extended warranty or the tire and wheel package? The purchase was for my MIL and she seemed scared into leaning toward buying. I counseled her to wait and think on it, and let them know by end of business Monday. I tried to tell her that it'd likely be a waste of money but she told me to "check with the Internet people". Haha. So, do you second my opinion? And if she declines for now, but decides later she'd like Honda Care, would she be able to purchase it?
    edited November 2015
    lol, yeah, us internet people don't think they are worth the money. ;)

I assume this FAQ from Curry Honda is up to date:

"The best time to buy Honda Care is when your vehicle is still new and has less than 6,000 miles. This is when the longest terms are available and the best pricing is available to you.

You can purchase Honda Care as long as your Honda is a 2012 or newer and has less than 36,000 miles, but as you vehicle ages and you drive more miles, the plans available to you change and there are changes to the Honda Care pricing."

So she can think on it for a while longer if she likes.

Ditto on the tire and wheel package, not worth it. Here's one link from "an internet guy" that pooh-pooh's both extended and tire warranties. (streetdirectory.com)

Some people do sleep better with an extended warranty. At least your MIL is leaning toward the Honda one.
  • runningman866runningman866 Member Posts: 1
    I have received a price on a 2016 CRV LX AWD in Grand Rapids, MI.
    MSRP $25,795
    Dealer Price $21,914
    Doc. fees, tax, registration $1586
    OTD price $23,500
    Is this a good price?
    edited November 2015
    Let's see, invoice is $24,409, we show MSRP of $25,775 (not sure where the extra $20 comes from in your number) and TMV is $24,444.

So yeah, $21,914 is well below invoice (even if you had to add the $880 destination to it, $22,8k would be a great selling price).

Killer price. In fact it sounds too good to be true. Let us know how it goes at the dealer.
  • hondaretailerhondaretailer Member Posts: 33

MSRP $25,795
    Dealer Price $21,914
    OTD price $23,500
    Is this a good price?

I'd race to this dealer and buy this car today.
  • cboothe70cboothe70 Member Posts: 19
    Just got back from the dealer. I'm going to start doing my car deals at end of month from now on. Got a very good deal on a 2016 EX 2WD Auto. I'm in Central Florida but shopped the local Truecar dealers using Atlanta area Truecar pricing which is much cheaper. Got a local dealer to match the Atlanta price. Told the other dealers I was negotiating with I had made a deal so they would stop calling. One says OK. The other says I'll beat it by $500. Made him e-mail me the price and agreed to buy from him. Called the other dealer up to apologize and let them know what happened and that I just couldn't leave $500 on the table. They offer to match the price. Since they were my original deal and they had found the exact car I wanted, I went with them even though the other dealer was literally just down the road. Here's what I got.....

MSRP + D&H $26,745

Dealer Price $23,969

Dealer Fee $699

Other Fees $188.45

Tax $1,540.87

Total $26,397.32

The car included extras such as mats, door edge guards, splash guards, trunk tray, wheel locks, llumar window tint, a full tank of gas, and free first oil change. I think I did pretty good.
  • cannell3cannell3 Member Posts: 45
    Hey, I just bought a 2016 CR-V, Monday. I will get back with the actual prices, soon. My question is about a sticker that I am seeing on the frame,and under the hood. The stickers say "Invisible footprint", which I guess is a tracing service, but I didn't get any information on it. The car was a dealer transfer from Cary Auto Mall. I am going to call them, tomorrow, but wonder if anyone has heard of this, thanks! By the way, it is a EX-L with Navigation, in Obsidian Blue Pearl, 2 wheel drive.
    Sounds like this anti-theft add-on.

Stuff like that is usually just a profit center for the dealer.
  • kyle625kyle625 Member Posts: 2
    edited December 2015
    Hello. I am looking at a 2016 CR-V EX AWD for my wife and I discovered this forum. It appears from the other posts that the invoice price is different depending on your region. I am also learning that "invoice price" isn't necessarily what the actual dealer cost is due to possible manufactuer rebates, holdbacks, etc. and that a fair deal would be to make an offer 3-5% above that actual dealer cost. I am having trouble figuring out a fair offer price though and was wondering if I could get some advice? I live in the Albany NY area with a zip of 12189 if that helps. Thanks in advance.

Update:I just had a "friend" quote me $25,898 OTD.
    The difference is usually an ad fee. Ad fees are "legit" but aren't really part of the invoice to my way of thinking.

Some sites don't include destination as part of invoice, but that line item never goes away so I figure that it's a part of invoice.

So invoice on a CR-V EX AWD in an Albany zip is $26,365. If you strip out the $880 destination, invoice would be $25,485.

MSRP is $28,025.

See the problem? There's less than $2,000 separating invoice with destination from MSRP. The gap has narrowed so much how do the dealers make money?

The answer is that they are getting other "manufacturer to dealer" payments, mostly in the form of bonuses. And as you note, holdback is 2% of the Base MSRP on Hondas. That's why dealers can sell below invoice.

Surprising tips for car shopping in Internet age (USA Today)

And er, beware of friends bearing gifts, trust but verify, etc. ;)
    edited December 2015
    @cboothe70, didn't mean to ignore you, kind of swamped with company this week. Thanks for posting your deal info - Florida dealers are notorious for extremely high doc fees, which I assume is the $699 in your case.

Congrats on the new ride!
  • kyle625kyle625 Member Posts: 2
    stever said:

The difference is usually an ad fee. Ad fees are "legit" but aren't really part of the invoice to my way of thinking.

Some sites don't include destination as part of invoice, but that line item never goes away so I figure that it's a part of invoice.

So invoice on a CR-V EX AWD in an Albany zip is $26,365. If you strip out the $880 destination, invoice would be $25,485.

MSRP is $28,025.

See the problem? There's less than $2,000 separating invoice with destination from MSRP. The gap has narrowed so much how do the dealers make money?

The answer is that they are getting other "manufacturer to dealer" payments, mostly in the form of bonuses. And as you note, holdback is 2% of the Base MSRP on Hondas. That's why dealers can sell below invoice.

Surprising tips for car shopping in Internet age (USA Today)

And er, beware of friends bearing gifts, trust but verify, etc. ;)

So that $25,898 offer is good then right? It's only 2% above that invoice of $25,485 you calculated. Am I reading this right? Thanks again.
    What's the selling price? It's hard to say if a price is good when we don't know what your local taxes are (nor do we care to know, lol).

But since your quote is less than invoice (including destination), yeah, it looks like a good deal.
    @stever No problem and thanks! Those dealer fees are BS, but I don't even argue it. I just try to work for the lowest total price. At $24,668 which includes that crazy dealer fee, I'm still well under invoice. Factor in those free extras that I got and it makes it all the better. Only thing I didn't get was the color matched side moulding. They wanted $250 and I offered $225 which I know is still high. The last CR-V I bought before this (a 2012), I got it for free. They wouldn't go any lower, so I have some shipping to me from an online dealer for $159. It's very easy to install and does a great job protecting the doors from dings. I've also got some Weathertech mats coming. Wish I had bought some of those for my other CR-V when it was new.
    edited December 2015
    It's a bit hard for others to compare OTD deals since the taxes can vary some, but OTD negotiating is a great way to make a deal. Saves a lot of arguing over those fees. :)

Good move on the accessories too.
  • priya123priya123 Member Posts: 33

@cboothe70
    Great price!! congrats..

I am in central florida too, daytona area.

Which dealer did you go to ..
    I am also looking for 26000 (OTD ) price

Thanks
  • karhill1karhill1 Member Posts: 165
    Why is an "ad fee" legit? Advertising is simply a cost. Price, by definition, includes all costs plus profit for the selling party.

So really, why pay the dealer to advertise selling a vehicle? Do you pay Best Buy an additional fee to cover their weekly ads?

I see one post above where a buyer lists he paid a dealer $699 for a dealer fee? Seriously, what did that dealer do to deserve $699? All the paperwork is completed using a computer by the time the deal is completed. Any additional effort to process that paperwork is not significant and is done by a $12 an hour clerk. And,once again, this is simply a cost to the dealer for doing business, it is covered by the price. Dealers are also compensated by the manufacturer to prepare the vehicle for sale.

So really, why pay the dealer $699?

My daughter recently bought a new Toyota Tacoma. This dealer had a $200 doc fee. On my advice, after reaching agreement on price, she balked at paying the $200 fee. This dealer, to compensate, increased the value of her trade by $250. If every buyer did this, our dealer friends would quickly abandon the silly "fee" games they play.

The only true fees which are legit are those paid to a third party. Things like registration or sales tax. Any "fee" added by a dealer is simply an attempt to deceive the buyer thus increasing dealer profit.
    Ad fees are "legit" in the sense that they are based on dealer participation in manufacturer advertising programs. You can negotiate them away but they are based on something other than ripping off a consumer just to generate extra profit.
    edited December 2015
    @priya123 - Thanks! Sorry for the late reply. Dealer was Hendrick in Daytona. Worked with Mike Hutchinson (Internet) and Micah Gussow. They were both prompt and easy to work with.

Regarding the dealer fee, I do not understand why people get hung up on that. Just because a dealer fee is $699, doesn't mean that's an extra $699 of profit. What's the price of the car? This is why I focus on OTD and that's with no trade. I don't care how they want to get to that total price as long as it is on the lower end of the scale. If you trade a car, rest assured you are giving them some extra profit. If they don't give you much hassle about removing that fee, you've probably left some meat on the bone somewhere else.
    @cboothe70 WOW!!

I am dealing with same person in hendrick honda.

he gave me 26,500 OTD price. with dealer added options.

thanks for sharing.
    What color did you get?

@priya123 - Congratulations! Hopefully you were able to say "give me that guy's deal". I'd have paid an extra $100 not to deal with 3 different dealerships for half a day. This one is Alabaster Silver. I think my favorite is Urban Titanium, but my wife's CR-V is that color.
    On my financing, I couldn't find anything better than 1.99% for 5 years. I missed a great deal from Penfed. If you are a member or eligible to join, you can get 1.49% for 5 years on a new car by going through their Penfed car buying service (basically their Truecar portal). I used the portal, but failed to notice that special financing as they have it buried half way down the financing page.
  • rbhattrbhatt Member Posts: 13
    What are the most popular colors in CRV. Does price vary on color also? I mean will dealer give more discount on 1 color and not on other?

MSRP $25,795
    Dealer Price $21,914
    OTD price $23,500
    Is this a good price?

Can you please share the dealer name? I am in Chicago and shopping for 2016 EXL. I wont mind going there if I get a good price.
    edited December 2015
    rbhatt said:

What are the most popular colors in CRV. Does price vary on color also? I mean will dealer give more discount on 1 color and not on other?

It doesn't seem that way. I checked on prices for an EX-L AWD with a Houston zip code and there was no adjustment up or down for the four colors I checked (Red Pearl, Sunset Pearl, White, Black). You can play with the TMV link; it's possible that the black is worth more in Chicago, but even then, the usual adjustment is only ~$300.

White is typically the most popular car color, followed by black. (link)
    edited December 2015
    @cboothe70
    thanks a lot for your help.

Since in Florida I was thinking to get White Diamond Pearl.

I did call Micah and asked him to give me same price.

Did you get any special life time warranties with this deal too?

Also did you get all dealer options added

1. Wheel locks
    2. Nitrogen fill tires
    3. Mud flaps
    4. Custom fit trunk tray
    5. Window tints

just buying a new car for first time so not sure what all to ask from the dealer.

Thanks a ton.
    A reporter is looking to talk with someone who recently bought or leased a small crossover SUV (such as a CR-V or RAV4). If you're willing to help, please contact pr@edmunds.com by no later than Tuesday December 22, 2015.
    Hi Stever,

I got a quote of $27000 including destination in Chicago area. This price is valid if I finance trough Honda. Doc fee is 165 in Chicago area. Is it a good price or should I wait for last week of month?
    rbhatt said:

Hi Stever,

I got a quote of $27000 including destination in Chicago area. This price is valid if I finance trough Honda. Doc fee is 165 in Chicago area. Is it a good price or should I wait for last week of month?

rbhatt said:

Hi Stever,

Forgot to mention that this is for 1016 CRV EXL AWD
    edited December 2015
    Sounds good - our numbers are $28,674 invoice, $30,475 MSRP and $29,083 TMV (all including destination).

So you are $1,600+ under invoice on a 2016. We don't see too many deals better than that..

A few more bucks may be possible since Year-End Sales Mean Deep Discounts for Car Shoppers. But I'd be happy.

One angle is to tell them their doc fee is high, and take $100 off the out the door price to $26,900. But if they are otherwise treating you well, that's almost a why bother. Let 'em enjoy Christmas too, lol.
    stever said:

Sounds good - our numbers are $28,674 invoice, $30,475 MSRP and $29,083 TMV (all including destination).

So you are $1,600+ under invoice on a 2016. We don't see too many deals better than that..

A few more bucks may be possible since Year-End Sales Mean Deep Discounts for Car Shoppers. But I'd be happy.

One angle is to tell them their doc fee is high, and take $100 off the out the door price to $26,900. But if they are otherwise treating you well, that's almost a why bother. Let 'em enjoy Christmas too, lol.

Thanks Stever. TTL is extra and tax based on the state I register the car. I am thinking to ask other dealers to beat it by $200-300 or if same dealer reduces and gives me $2000 below invoice, I think that would be a good price. They are not giving any accessories.
    Lots of bonus money depends on how many cars the dealers blow out by the end of the year, so you're in a good position if can wait for another 10 to 12 days. Let us know how it goes.
  • rk_2015rk_2015 Member Posts: 2
    I have received a price on a 2016 CRV EX-L 2WD in Arizona
    MSRP $29175
    Dealer Price $26720 include Alarm, Protection Package, tint, Appearence package + Taxes + Fees

Is this a good price?
  • rk_2015rk_2015 Member Posts: 2
    Just want to add to my previous comment that taxes and fees are addition to 26720$
  • rbt778lmt778rbt778lmt778 Member Posts: 1
    2016 CR V Touring purchased in Metro Atlanta. No options. 30,
    051 + 599 Doc fees
    Picked up 2016 CRV- EX AWD last week in NJ for $26800 OTD
    Price Breakdown
    $24,809 Sale Price including Destination $900
    $370 total loss protection, (I financed through Dealer)
    $1762 NJ Tax 7%
    $ 450 Documentation fees(it's $100 more than avg in NJ)
    $ 401 Title Registration
    $ 8 Tire Tax

$27800 Total OTD

I negotiated on the base of OTD numbers, I offered with $26500 and agreed upon $26800.
    Deal was done on blackfriday, since they did not have color in stock i had to wait for 2 week to dive it home.
    Forgot to mention, I also got Life time free Oil change and Car wash
  • eerrpp74eerrpp74 Member Posts: 2
    I'm out of the Philadelphia Suburbs. I'm looking at 2016 CR-V LX 2 wheel drive.

Selling price: $23,118

6% PA Sales tax/PA TTL/Doc fees etc: $1625

Out the Door Price: $24,743

Any thoughts on this deal??
  • bobbyboy5bobbyboy5 Member Posts: 2
    kp_73 said:

Forgot to mention, I also got Life time free Oil change and Car wash

Which dealer in NJ did you buy from?

I am looking for Touring AWD, best OTD quote via email I have right now is
    $31400 Selling Price
    $2198 NJ 7% Tax
    $301 Motor Vehicle (estimated)
    $299 Documentation
    $7.50 NJ Tire Tax ($1.50 Per Tire)
    $8.20 Onine Registration
    $34213.70 Out The Door Cost Everything Included

How much should I try and negotiate for?
  • mkk_carsmkk_cars Member Posts: 9
    I received quote for $27100 including destination for AWD EXL without nav, in Boston. Doc fee $299+Taxes extra. I'm thinking of checking with 2 more dealers and make a deal almost end of the year. What is the price I should be aiming at for year end sale?

@priya123 - No problem. I did get all those extras as well as the clear door edge film. No lifetime warranties. They really weren't convenient to me for service anyways.
    rk_2015 said:

I have received a price on a 2016 CRV EX-L 2WD in Arizona
    MSRP $29175
    Dealer Price $26720 include Alarm, Protection Package, tint, Appearence package + Taxes + Fees

Is this a good price?

Sorry I'm slow - was in Phoenix. ;)

Our numbers are $27,902 invoice, $29,025 MSRP and $27,146 TMV.

Those numbers include destination AND - a $600 ad fee (at least for Phoenix, didn't check other zip codes in AZ).

Let's go with $27,302 for invoice, meaning your quote is about $600 under. I think that's pretty good. The tint is a nice "freebie" too.

2016 CR V Touring purchased in Metro Atlanta. No options. 30,
    051 + 599 Doc fees

Congrats!
    @kp_73 congrats to you too. Interesting how the AWD ate up the price difference of your EX and @rk_2015's EX-L 2WD model.