Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Used car recommendations?

greenagate99greenagate99 Member Posts: 40
edited November 2015 in General
I may be getting a new car in the next year or so, and I was curious what people recommend? I'm 21, female, and currently drive a 1999 Subaru Outback Sport Impreza. I just need something that will get me where I need to get to reliably and safely. I am looking for a vehicle with AWD or 4x4, because of my Subaru and living in Nebraska, I can't do RWD or FWD (just a personal preference). I really like pick-up trucks, but there aren't any within my budget of $12,000 (used) that also have 5-star safety ratings. I am considering the 2012 Chevy Equinox, the 2010 Ford Fusion, and the 2012 Ford Explorer.

In all basicality, I am looking for a reliable car that can get around well in snow/ice, has decent mpg (at least 24 mpg highway), has a backup camera, and a 5-star safety rating (I am willing to do 4-star, ONLY if front and side are 5-star. I know roll-over is hard to get at 5-stars).

Any recommendations? I'm just trying to get ideas for vehicles to test drive, so that when I'm ready to buy a newer used car, I know what I want to get.

Comments

• corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,257
    I think a lot of the lower-equipped (or older) Equinoxes won't have the backup camera. Most will have the four cylinder which is underpowered for such a heavy vehicle. If you can get over that, the Equinox actually drives very nicely. I'm less familiar with the Fusion and Explorer.
  • abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,258
    I may be getting a new car in the next year or so, and I was curious what people recommend? I'm 21, female, and currently drive a 1999 Subaru Outback Sport Impreza. I just need something that will get me where I need to get to reliably and safely. I am looking for a vehicle with AWD or 4x4, because of my Subaru and living in Nebraska, I can't do RWD or FWD (just a personal preference). I really like pick-up trucks, but there aren't any within my budget of $12,000 (used) that also have 5-star safety ratings. I am considering the 2012 Chevy Equinox, the 2010 Ford Fusion, and the 2012 Ford Explorer. In all basicality, I am looking for a reliable car that can get around well in snow/ice, has decent mpg (at least 24 mpg highway), has a backup camera, and a 5-star safety rating (I am willing to do 4-star, ONLY if front and side are 5-star. I know roll-over is hard to get at 5-stars). Any recommendations? I'm just trying to get ideas for vehicles to test drive, so that when I'm ready to buy a newer used car, I know what I want to get.
    It would seem logical to start with Suburu.  They've made some great technology additions for 2016.  Many of my poster buddies drive Suburus and they love them.  They are reasonably priced and all of the are AWD.  My friends joke about the fact that Suburu is one of the best selling cars in Colorado.

I would nose around at other AWD vehicles in the $23,000 - $33,000 range.  Also check out Edmunds's reviews of the Suburu sedans.

As a retired car salesman and Sales Manager, Suburu had one of the highest resale values at regional auctions.

Good luck!

2021 Genesis G90

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    She said she had a $12,000 budget, and I think that makes for a Subaru that's just old enough to be risky. But if you can find a Subie 2010 on up, you're more or less out of the danger zone for head gasket failures.

You should be able to land a 2008-2010 Explorer for that money. It wouldn't get 24 mpg though I don't think., nor would most SUVs from that time period.

An AWD Fusion might take you a while to find.

Do you like the HOnda CR-V? Good mpg, nice size, but a bit down on power.
  • greenagate99greenagate99 Member Posts: 40
    Sorry, I just realized I accidentally typed Ford Fusion, but I meant Ford Flex. I'm not 100% on getting another Subaru, simply because there's only one place that fixes them here in Omaha, and they're in a creepy part of town. I love Subarus, but I feel that I should find a vehicle that is more "general", know what i mean? Almost any place can fix it. 

I have to to go for used, simply because I have no credit (haven't gotten a credit card, and won't until I have a stable job and am done with school).
    corvette said:
    I think a lot of the lower-equipped (or older) Equinoxes won't have the backup camera. Most will have the four cylinder which is underpowered for such a heavy vehicle. If you can get over that, the Equinox actually drives very nicely. I'm less familiar with the Fusion and Explorer.
    I've seen a couple 2011 Equinoxes listed at under $10,000 and they have the backup camera. They're listed from a dealer in Lincoln, NE though (I'm in Omaha). 
    The Flex is kinda big for a one-person car, unless you have a family to haul around. Do you need all that space?

abacomike said:
    I may be getting a new car in the next year or so, and I was curious what people recommend? I'm 21, female, and currently drive a 1999 Subaru Outback Sport Impreza. I just need something that will get me where I need to get to reliably and safely. I am looking for a vehicle with AWD or 4x4, because of my Subaru and living in Nebraska, I can't do RWD or FWD (just a personal preference). I really like pick-up trucks, but there aren't any within my budget of $12,000 (used) that also have 5-star safety ratings. I am considering the 2012 Chevy Equinox, the 2010 Ford Fusion, and the 2012 Ford Explorer. In all basicality, I am looking for a reliable car that can get around well in snow/ice, has decent mpg (at least 24 mpg highway), has a backup camera, and a 5-star safety rating (I am willing to do 4-star, ONLY if front and side are 5-star. I know roll-over is hard to get at 5-stars). Any recommendations? I'm just trying to get ideas for vehicles to test drive, so that when I'm ready to buy a newer used car, I know what I want to get.
    It would seem logical to start with Suburu.  They've made some great technology additions for 2016.  Many of my poster buddies drive Suburus and they love them.  They are reasonably priced and all of the are AWD.  My friends joke about the fact that Suburu is one of the best selling cars in Colorado.

I would nose around at other AWD vehicles in the $23,000 - $33,000 range.  Also check out Edmunds's reviews of the Suburu sedans.

As a retired car salesman and Sales Manager, Suburu had one of the highest resale values at regional auctions.

Good luck!
    Unfortunately I'm an unemployed college student at the moment with no credit, so a new car isn't in the realm of possibilities. I'd love to get another Subaru, but there is only one mechanic in Omaha willing to deal with them (and they're located in a creepy neighborhood). The people there are nice, but the area is one I'm not familiar with, and my da always had to take my '99 Subaru for me because I didn't know where it was located (and I still don't).
    The Flex is kinda big for a one-person car, unless you have a family to haul around. Do you need all that space?
    I have friends occasionally, but most times it's just me or my dad (or both). My mom won't get in the car unless she can physically get in (she has MS). I don't like anything smaller than my Subaru, but I hate when I have to be in the back seat of my Subaru (barely any leg room). I can feel claustrophobic in small cars and just overall feel uncomfortable. I was considering a Ford F-150, not only because I like trucks, but I also liked the idea of being able to offer to haul things for family. But my mom doesn't want me getting a pickup because I'd have to put weights in the bed for winter to get traction.
    Well the Flex should certainly accommodate your mom no problem. She'd probably have trouble getting into an F150 crew cab. Explorer still might work for you.
    Well the Flex should certainly accommodate your mom no problem. She'd probably have trouble getting into an F150 crew cab. Explorer still might work for you.
    I just know she doesn't like my Subaru (she gets car sick for some reason). She has her own vehicle; I've only had to drive her somewhere a couple times. 
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,924
    I'm not personally a fan, but I have seen Nissan Rogues pretty cheap.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,486
    Flex will never fit in the budget and conditions.

how about a Ford Escape? Pretty roomy, but a lot cheaper to run than an Explorer (much better MPG). Not sure about the safety ratings, but any of these options discussed will be plenty safe. And anyone in Nebraska should be able to handle fixing a Ford!

Keep in mind SUVs are expensive usually. A sedan will often be quite a bit cheaper, but less common with AWD (outside of Subarus of course!). You didn't specify miles, but at your price point, they won't be real low.

Here is one in a random Nebraska location.

http://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/652231712/overview/

Pretty nice Explorer.

http://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/632747559/overview/

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    2006-7 Honda Ridgeline would be in your budget, and they're pretty decent pickup trucks with Honda reliability. I agree with qbrozen about the Nissan Rogue and Mr Shiftright about the Honda CR-V, too.

Old(er) SUVs are going to be hard pressed to get anywhere near your 24 MPG.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,486
    CR-V tends to be crazy overpriced used though.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

Last night, my Subaru hit the 90,000 mile mark. I have heard of the head gasket going out anywhere between 80,000-150,000 miles. Is there anything I should watch for? Any symptoms? I think I am mainly worried because of it being winter in Nebraska. I don't want to have my car die on me or have issues in the middle of winter (if I can prevent issues).

I know I have a question posted in a different area, but no one is answering (been a couple weeks).
  • zandorzandor Member Posts: 67
    If you're worried about the head gasket watch your oil and coolant. If your oil starts looking milky (means it has coolant in it) or your coolant has oil in it you should call a tow truck or leave it parked until Monday then call a tow truck unless you can do the head gasket repair yourself. Another symptom of a failed head gasket is overheating. Again, don't drive it and call a tow truck unless you can diagnose the problem yourself. Driving a car with a failed head gasket can easily turn a head gasket replacement into an engine rebuild or replacement.

Your Fusion fumble may not be off the mark if you're ok with a sedan. The Ford Fusion, Mercury Milan, and Lincoln MKZ offer AWD as an option. It's easiest to find AWD on the Lincoln, but don't let the badge scare you off. Lincolns from a few years ago are basically just Fords with an option package. Depreciation on them is terrible until they drop to a point where they're a couple grand more than a similar Ford. At $12k they'll be at that point.