Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• Options
    28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,393
    stickguy said:
    that thing must have a sticker north of 50K to be that high. I did a quick edmunds search and local here are a couple that seem to be equipped that way that hit 51k!
    It did. MSRP was $50k and sale price was $42,7. OTD price after they buy it will be about $1500 more than an Odyssey Touring Elite would have been. 
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
  • Options
    Also, something else to keep in mind - sales tax in Seattle is very high. 9.8 or 9.9%. 
  • Options
    benjaminhbenjaminh Member Posts: 6,311
    My local Mini dealer is offering the last of the 2015s at $5000 or more off of msrp. This black 6 speed manual for 20k (mrsp 25k) seems like a nice car for the money. But the reports I've read about Mini reliability are so-so at best. Mini has now been in the US market for more than a dozen years iirc, and yet they still seem to be a very low volume player. Is that what BMW intended, or has something gone wrong?

Shiftright: would you ever buy another, or was once enough?

http://www.minioflouisville.com/VehicleDetails/new-2015-MINI-Cooper_Hardtop--Louisville-KY/2571046283
    2018 Acura TLX 2.4 Tech 4WS (mine), 2018 Honda CR-V EX AWD (wife's)
  • Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    I would buy another. They've gotten much better in the last few years. You have to remember that I owned a first year model. The only thing I miss on the new minis is the supercharger. I won't miss my own whining, but I would miss it from the engine. They are about the best built small car you can buy, but you have to have a tolerance for some over the top interior design features and the harsher ride that usually comes with a short wheelbase car.
  • Options
    nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,437
    Shifty - you'd go for a "Cooper S," not a 3cyl turbo "base" right?

@benjaminh - do you qualify for every one of those incentives?

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,095

The car is a Magnetic Gray 2015 Flex Limited EcoBoost with 303A package, appearance package, moonroof and tow hitch. Pretty awesome looking and driving car - that EcoBoost engine can get you in some serious trouble, which is unexpected for a family hauler. 

I really like the Flex, though I seldom see many on the roads here, probably because they are pricey. I saw one in what I think was that paint color with a white-painted roof not long ago and thought it looked fabulous. I have sat in one in the showroom and they have incredible volumes of interior space. If I needed large hauler, that is what I would try to get.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,557
    must not sell too many. Pretty sure around here I see more Maseratis than Flexes

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,365
    nyccarguy said:

I have a couple of gearhead friends in the MINI community who actually prefer the base Cooper with a nice option set(three pedals, of course) to the Cooper S. I drove a base Cooper 4 door manual when the local dealer was offering a chance on a 60" TV with every test drive. It was a very pleasant car to drive. If I was going FWD again I'd seriously consider one.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• Options
    edited November 2015
    nyccarguy said:

Actually if you qualify for every discount you get more than 6000 off of msrp! But I don't quality for Mini loyalty, military, or recent grad, and so it'd be just 5k off for someone like me.

But more or less this Mini manual (but in white) would be something that would appeal to me--if I weren't a Honda guy.
  • Options
    ab348 said:
    The car is a Magnetic Gray 2015 Flex Limited EcoBoost with 303A package, appearance package, moonroof and tow hitch. Pretty awesome looking and driving car - that EcoBoost engine can get you in some serious trouble, which is unexpected for a family hauler. 
    I really like the Flex, though I seldom see many on the roads here, probably because they are pricey. I saw one in what I think was that paint color with a white-painted roof not long ago and thought it looked fabulous. I have sat in one in the showroom and they have incredible volumes of interior space. If I needed large hauler, that is what I would try to get.
    I had driven a Flex once prior to this as a rental car and found it very comfortable, but the base V6 engine was slow. The EcoBoost engine jumps right over adequate to downright fun. 

They are definitely a bit of a cult car with a cult following - there not many later model used out there (I looked) and the ones with an EcoBoost seem to command crazy money.

My BIL's Flex has the appearance package so it has the black wheels and black painted roof. Pretty aggressive looking for a family hauler. Same class as my Dad's old black diesel Excursion which had the appearance package. 
  • Options
    graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    Here ya go...a sort of punch...new CTS....2016. But, it replaced a Cadillac repurchased '14 CTS. This one won't stay in the stable very long, though...too much bad luck with Cadillac.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • Options

I would buy another. They've gotten much better in the last few years. You have to remember that I owned a first year model. The only thing I miss on the new minis is the supercharger. I won't miss my own whining, but I would miss it from the engine. They are about the best built small car you can buy, but you have to have a tolerance for some over the top interior design features and the harsher ride that usually comes with a short wheelbase car.

"owned"?

I missed it. What did you get as a replacement?

• Options
    jpp75jpp75 Member Posts: 1,535
    @tfighter Congrats on helping your sister and brother-in-law, I agree the Flex is a real sleeper and highly underrated.
  • Options
    jpp5862 said:
    @tfighter Congrats on helping your sister and brother-in-law, I agree the Flex is a real sleeper and highly underrated.
    I think you mean me (28firefighter)...and thanks!
  • Options
    jpp75jpp75 Member Posts: 1,535

jpp5862 said:

I think you mean me (28firefighter)...and thanks!

Oops, yes I did. :)
  • Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,949
    Wife is a little nervous going so far over our original budget for the Hummer. Not that it is completely off the table, but still perusing what else might be out there.

This seems like a good deal. Of course, I can't actually see the carfax. I may have to call the dealer and see if I can get more info since it isn't exactly close to me.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    I might consider the base 3 cylinder, sure. I hear it's a very nice driver, although I'm told it has lost most of the raucous behavior of the Gen 1 S model. Performance is almost the same as the old "S", the interior ergonomics are still a mess, and watch out for that options list--it's a killer.
    nyccarguy said:

• Options
    I still own it, along with my Dakota 4X4. I've been shopping around. I drove a C5 Corvette but it just wasn't "me". I put a lowball bid on a 2002 Porsche cabrio with a blown engine but didn't get that (probably a good thing for me). What I may need as a compromise is an older Cayman. We'll see. Not sure I want car payments right now, I'd rather pay cash and buy what's in my budget (around $15K).

The Mini runs great, though. It's a hard car to let go of when it's being good.
    benjaminh said:

"owned"?

I missed it. What did you get as a replacement?

• Options
    I found a few LRs but thought you weren't that brave. That one does look nice, and seems to be a good deal.

• Options
    A LR scares me even more than a Porsche 996.
  • Options
    xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,796
    edited November 2015

The punch is in.... they settled on a Flex Limited with ecoboost

Congrats! I am still pining for one of these. I'll get one, but since they discontinued them, I'm thinking it won't hurt any to wait a couple of years and pull a '15 with 40-50K miles. In the meantime, I'll just pocket the savings. Even better, I won't be tempted any longer to get one new if it isn't an option!

I find them to be a very fun ride. The Ecoboost has some serious oomph, but the vehicle is surprisingly maneuverable as well. The spaciousness of it is just the icing on the cake, as far as I'm concerned!

2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Options
    tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,927
    I suggested the Flex to the wife... she just couldn't get over the looks.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• Options
    js06gvjs06gv Member Posts: 456
    qbrozen said:

Wife is a little nervous going so far over our original budget for the Hummer. Not that it is completely off the table, but still perusing what else might be out there.

This seems like a good deal. Of course, I can't actually see the carfax. I may have to call the dealer and see if I can get more info since it isn't exactly close to me.

Reading about the Flex purchase made me think to ask, is it a consideration for your search? I quickly glanced at used 2009-2010 Limited models on craigslist in my area and am seeing asking prices of 12-14K without crazy miles. They aren't the ecoboost, but I think even without the better engine these were $40-45K list rigs back then. Resale looks to be relatively low, so might be a decent buy.

2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2019 Ford Mustang GT Premium, 2016 Kia Optima SX, 2013 Ford F-150 King Ranch, 2000 Pontiac Trans Am WS6, 2001 Kawasaki Vulcan 800 Classic

• Options
    I like the Flex. Wife doesn't.

On the LR2, I feel a little more confident on that particular model since the major parts are Volvo.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,258
    Corvette, add a punch for me. I bought a 2016 CLS 400 this afternoon at lunchtime. It's Designo Diamond White Metallic with light leather interior(Porcelain w/black carpet) and Designo Black Piano Lacquer wood throughout. This one has the big screen above the center dash and the new 9 speed auto transmission. I got it with Premium 1 and Premium 2 Package, rear spoiler, Lane Departure Warning, Blind Spot Monitors, sport steering wheel, sport suspension, 19" AMG multi-spoked wheels with summer performance tires, Lane Tracking/Blind Spot Monitors Package, and it even has the illuminate Mercedes Star in the front grille.

Since I lost all this weight due to my health problems, this one fits much better than the 2014 CLS 550 did. It has the same engine as my E400 had (V6 3.0 L twin turbo 330 hp). When I test drove it, it seemed even more powerful - I think it was because the CLS 400 is about 200 lbs. lighter than the E400 was.

Nice car.

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,498
    abacomike said:

Corvette, add a punch for me. I bought a 2016 CLS 400 this afternoon at lunchtime. It's Designo Diamond White Metallic with light leather interior(Porcelain w/black carpet) and Designo Black Piano Lacquer wood throughout. This one has the big screen above the center dash and the new 9 speed auto transmission. I got it with Premium 1 and Premium 2 Package, rear spoiler, Lane Departure Warning, Blind Spot Monitors, sport steering wheel, sport suspension, 19" AMG multi-spoked wheels with summer performance tires, Lane Tracking/Blind Spot Monitors Package, and it even has the illuminate Mercedes Star in the front grille.

Since I lost all this weight due to my health problems, this one fits much better than the 2014 CLS 550 did. It has the same engine as my E400 had (V6 3.0 L twin turbo 330 hp). When I test drove it, it seemed even more powerful - I think it was because the CLS 400 is about 200 lbs. lighter than the E400 was.

Nice car.

Mike, sounds like a beautiful car...congrats!! But, I thought you really liked your E400. Never mind, you're a card-carrying member of the CCBA. You don't need a reason ;).
  • Options
    Wow; congrats, Mike! So much for that "the next punch may be awhile," nonsense! ;)
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Options
    @carnaught said:

"Mike, sounds like a beautiful car...congrats!! But, I thought you really liked your E400. Never mind, you're a card-carrying member of the CCBA. You don't need a reason"

You're right!  I don't think I need an "excuse" either. :smile: 

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    xwesx said:
    Wow; congrats, Mike! So much for that "the next punch may be awhile," nonsense! ;)
    True!  The itch just got to me when I saw and drove this one.  

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,173
    Nice color combo! Congrats

Must be having some deals - first thing I did when I got back was take my E in for the first service. Sales manager (who worked on my deal) said they sold 12 cars yesterday. That's pretty decent.
    abacomike said:

Nice car.

• Options
    corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,267
    Congrats, graphicguy and abacomike! We're at 30 punches for the year. 
  • Options
    @abacomike - Mazel-Tov & Congratulations for n the CLS 400 punch!  Gorgeous car!  Love the color!

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    nyccarguy said:

@abacomike - Mazel-Tov & Congratulations for n the CLS 400 punch!  Gorgeous car!  Love the color!

Thanks all for your kind and generous comments about my new car. I tried to upload a picture of the new car and changed my signature - hope it worked.

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    Looks like they did, but you still need to post actual (non-thumbnail) photos of the car, too. You only get one chance wow us with your new wheels. :D
  • Options
    Congrats, Mike!
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,256

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    nice Mike. was not expecting this move though.

• Options
    qbrozen said:

I like the Flex. Wife doesn't.

On the LR2, I feel a little more confident on that particular model since the major parts are Volvo.

Well that probably helps that particular year.
  • Options
    jwilliams2jwilliams2 Member Posts: 910
    GG, glad you have the new one. Maybe you'll like it, and if not, it has to be worth more on trade.

And Mike, you caught me completely off guard. Didn't see that coming at all!

Would really love to see pictures from both of you.
  • Options
    This car. I really like this car. Too bad I don't need a car. But, in 2 years a nice clean low mile off lease 2015 could be waiting for me!

http://www.royaleasing.com/detail-2013-lexus-gs_350-4dr_sedan_awd-used-14384839.html

• Options
    edited November 2015
    oh, still waiting on pictures (as of now, but should be up soon), but one for TJC and OldFarmer to fight over.

http://www.royaleasing.com/detail-2007-lincoln-town_car-4dr_sedan_signature-used-14405418.html

• Options
    thinking about that LR some more (just checked out the ad again). Does look nice. but if one of the selling points is some Volvo underneath, why not just get the Volvo? Other of course than the extra cost!

this does seem pretty cheap though for the miles. If it is legit, gives quite a decent cushion for contingencies. Plus you can wrench yourself.

• Options
    @stickguy - there are going to be some very enticing off lease luxury cars hitting the market in 2 years or so.  GS350s, E350s - that might force me to buy used.

There's also the WRX Limited I'll be able to comfortably afford with a nice down payment from equity in my Legacy next year since I've started making extra principle payments and the Pilot payments "come off the books" in May.

There's also the TLX V6 SH AWD (mouthful) that is leasing right now with lease cash, a low money factor, and an unusually low (for Acura) 50% residual after 36 months/15K per year.

I do talk myself into keeping my Legacy on a weekly basis.

• Options
    stickguy said:
    thinking about that LR some more (just checked out the ad again). Does look nice. but if one of the selling points is some Volvo underneath, why not just get the Volvo? Other of course than the extra cost! this does seem pretty cheap though for the miles. If it is legit, gives quite a decent cushion for contingencies. Plus you can wrench yourself.
    I thought of that, too, but it is much better looking than an XC90. 

• Options
    nyccarguy said:
    I do talk myself into keeping my Legacy on a weekly basis.
    I was doing that with the Mazda. And then dieselgate hit and I caved. I'm not proud. 

(Who am I kidding, where am I writing this, of course I'm proud.)
  • Options
    You upgraded very nicely from your Mazda!  How's the GTI treating you?

• Options
    Bradd, I am really looking forward to it. Not only will (obviously) the Sonata lease be off the books, the RDX will be paid off by then too. But most importantly, I will make the final tuition payment I will ever make right at the same time! So the stars should be aligned to finally get whatever we actually want.

something like that lightly used lexus could hit the sweet spot. Or the MB that keeps calling me. or something else.

I really need to start looking now, because it might take me 2 years to figure out what I want!

• Options
    A neighbor of mine has a drop dead gorgeous Boxster S - Blue w/ Beige Leather, & a blue top.  It is just stunning from every angle, in every light, the right wheels, red brake calipers, sounds nasty in the AM & sexy at night.

one day last week I'm playing hockey in the driveway with my boys.  I see him cruising down the street.  I stop him and tell him what a gorgeous car he has.  Super nice guy.  He told me it was his "im done paying for college" present.

new shoes go on the Pilot tomorrow!

• Options
    GTI is wonderful. Almost 500 miles and no issues - not a single rattle which I consider nothing short of a miracle. I've never enjoyed driving so much. 

The DSG in this car really is wonderful.  Some of the long-term tests have ragged on it for being unsure in stop and go traffic, making the experience jerky. I haven't found that to be the case at all, especially when compared with my CC. 

Only one close call with the Washington State Patrol, but he took the Mustang GT that was tailgating me, instead.  Funny enough, I was in isell's neck of the woods when it happened. 
  • Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,319
    stickguy said:
    This car. I really like this car. Too bad I don't need a car. But, in 2 years a nice clean low mile off lease 2015 could be waiting for me! http://www.royaleasing.com/detail-2013-lexus-gs_350-4dr_sedan_awd-used-14384839.html
    I like that GS, but isn't a comparable G37 or Q50 going to be cheaper?

I'm trying to hold off any serious shopping until next summer, but now that the new Civics are starting to become available, I may have to go test drive an EX-T just to see how I like it.

So many choices.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4