Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

My wife's 93 Pathfinder SE starting problems

rmsingletaryrmsingletary Member Posts: 13
edited November 2015 in Nissan
Hello...I hope this is the right place to post...I bought my wife a 93 pathfinder SE about two years ago. It has a few problems. I have a couple weeks off work so I want to start workin them out. The big problem right now... Is it don't choke itself when its cold...so you have to pump the hell out of it...I have read thease Nissans don't have a choke and it could be a cold weather sensor...I talked to the smog guy and he said it sounds like a file problem. When I first got the 93...it was winter and it would always start second crank...then it got to where it would still start second crank but chug a little with a little black smoke. Then it got to where it would chug itself out...if you stepped on the gas..it would clear up and would run great after that. Now it won't start on the second crank...you have to pump hell out of it...then it will fire...pump hell out of it...fire a little more..eventually it starts and run good fur the rest of the day...any one know what's up..thank you fur the help..

Comments

• carboy21carboy21 Member Posts: 760
    Surprised that a 22 year old vehicle can still be running :smile: 
  • rmsingletaryrmsingletary Member Posts: 13
    Lol...true enough..I figured out the startin problem though...before I would turn the ignition on and then push the starter button ( I had to install a momentery switch when what
    I thought was the starter goin out and I put a new one in...and the same thang... acted like the starter was goin out....so I says to myself...self... The hell with it...I put a bypass and momentary toggle in and it turns over every time now... ) Now I turn the key forward all the way...hold it...and then push my starter button and it fires up first crank...the computer has it fast idle till it warms up then it idles normal. It dose still chug a little bit and a little black smoke comes out...but I don't have to pump like hell...try to start it...pump it..try to star it...until it starts...
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Lots of times older cars lose fuel pressure sitting overnight. The trick with them was the same - you'd turn the key to on and that would energize the fuel pump. With some cars, you can hear the fuel pump kick on. After five seconds or so, the car would crank the first time.
    Thanks Steve...yah I understand that...I hear this one turn on too...but that wasn't the problem...the problem was when I put the by pass in...I didn't need to turn the key forward as far...it was in the run position and then I would push the button and it would start..as the months went by and it got colder...it got harder to start...but I figured out if I hold the key forward all the way like I was tryin to start it and then push the starter button...it starts...no what I mean....
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited November 2015
    Just seemed to me that you could have turned the ignition on and waited, and avoided the bypass switch. But I'm no mechanic.

I had '99 Quest that had the second (or third?) generation of this engine (altered so it wouldn't ruin the engine when the timing belt broke). They weren't as famous as the VQ but they do seem to run well. When you finally get them cranked, LOL. Distributor and injector issues but never an "engine" issue on mine over 15 years/200k miles.
    Thank you fur your input Steve...I had to put the by pass in becouse it got to where it would only click when tryin to start it...so I put a new starter in it and same thing...click..click...got tired of it strandin my wife in town and bein unreliable fur her...my wife 93 pathfinder SE is known to have issues where they they start some times.,.some times they don't...I just bought a 86 1/2 and it started doin the same thing so I put a bypass in it too...its an electricl issuse that thease have...not a fuel issuse in this case...thank you fur your help and comments Steve...
  • carboy21carboy21 Member Posts: 760
    You should get your wife a new car :smile:
    Nah...she loves this one...happy wife happy life is what I say...lol...but hey thanks fur the comment carboy...