Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Warns About Losing Your Grip - 2015 Hyundai Sonata Long Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited November 2015 in Hyundai

It was a nice, crisp, early November morning as I headed east on Interstate 8 toward Arizona in our 2015 Hyundai Sonata. The sun was just barely peeking over the horizon and outshining the more distant stars as I left San Diego behind and worked my way over the many 4,000-foot summits of the Laguna mountains.

A small yellow snowflake icon winked on near the outside temperature gauge, which to my surprise read 39 degrees. Funny, it hadn't been near that cold when I backed out of my driveway in the dark some two hours earlier. And that's exactly the point of the light.

Read the full story here

Comments

• rysterryster Member Posts: 571
    Don't overthink the light. It is simply warning that the road may be icy at temperatures below 40 degrees. While what you wrote about all-season tires is valid, the warning light is much more basic than that.
  • kirkhilles1kirkhilles1 Member Posts: 863
    I guess I'm just crazy and stupid, but I drive all year on "Summer" tires. This morning was 28 degrees. Miata drove fine, just as its done every year. I understand that it won't drive well on ice, but its rear wheel drive, so I doubt any non-snow-tire would help there. Looking at Tire Rack and yeah, I could choose between 1 of 2 "all season" tires: Kumho or a Hankook. Yeah, no thanks. I'll "roll the dice" driving my commute with quality tires as opposed to the other options.
  • allthingshondaallthingshonda Member Posts: 878
    ryster said:

Don't overthink the light. It is simply warning that the road may be icy at temperatures below 40 degrees. While what you wrote about all-season tires is valid, the warning light is much more basic than that.

What he said. The light is a reminder that temperatures are low enough that black ice could form. I don't think Hyundai should have made this indicator yellow like malfunction indicators, I wouldn't want a yellow indicator on all winter. It should have been the same color as the temperature reading. Flashing the indicator and the temperature reading for a couple of minutes when it first turns on would catch the driver's attention.
  • dfrissdfriss Member Posts: 23
    edited November 2015
    It dings when it turns on, leading us to look at each other and ask 'what's that ding for.... nearly every [non-permissible content removed] day between Sept and April in MN ;)