Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,849
    edited November 2015
    @stickguy
    I'm actually glad there aren't pictures of that 07 LTC...28K miles and only 10K. I bet I could buy it for 9K and get 3K for my Merc.

Perfect color combo and 07 is a good year for those.... must not look again.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,312

GTI is wonderful. Almost 500 miles and no issues - not a single rattle which I consider nothing short of a miracle. I've never enjoyed driving so much. 

The DSG in this car really is wonderful.  Some of the long-term tests have ragged on it for being unsure in stop and go traffic, making the experience jerky. I haven't found that to be the case at all, especially when compared with my CC. 

Only one close call with the Washington State Patrol, but he took the Mustang GT that was tailgating me, instead.  Funny enough, I was in isell's neck of the woods when it happened. 

I wish my local VW dealers weren't quite so sketchy; I'd like to consider a Golf R.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• henrynhenryn Member Posts: 4,289
    stickguy said:

oh, still waiting on pictures (as of now, but should be up soon), but one for TJC and OldFarmer to fight over.

http://www.royaleasing.com/detail-2007-lincoln-town_car-4dr_sedan_signature-used-14405418.html

Last year, into this year, I was looking for something just like that Lincoln Town Car. My main two contenders were the Town Car, and the Cadillac DTS. I wound up with a 2006 DTS, one owner, new car trade in, with 35k miles. Cost me almost exactly what they're asking for that Town Car. The Town Car is a little bigger, a little smoother on the highway, and slower.

If you start having problems, the Town Car (being pretty much a Crown Vic / Grand Marquis) is going to be a lot easier / cheaper to fix!
    2023 Chevrolet Silverado, 2019 Chrysler Pacifica
    DTS is certainly quicker and a more up to date vehicle.  For the long haul, however, I'd go with the Town Car. 

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373
    Anybody interested in a 1982 320i - Polaris Silver - 5 Speed - 79,500 original miles - 1 owner car - NY Craig's List - i know the owner

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,433
    Yes. And it would likely be a bad idea!

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

Michael, yes, a G37 would be cheaper. But not that much. And I consider the GS to be a class up, plus it is bigger. And had more goodies.

More E class than C class

edited November 2015
    E21 3ers are great cars, if not the most exciting to drive. Rust is the main thing to watch out for. The M10 four will run forever and the K-Jetronic FI is no big deal. Of course the 1982 North American 320i is actually a 318i; one of the first times BMW didn't follow its numbering system- in this case to humor stupid customers...

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    320i --Not BMWs finest hour and perhaps the most unloved BMW ever. It would have to be dirt cheap, in the $2500 range. Rather dull to drive but sturdy enough. Weaknesses include air leaks in the EFI system and heater core leaks.
  • Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,952
    edited November 2015
    Drove a newish SLK 250 the other morning and liked it, a lot! Have always liked MB especially the 2005 to 2007 C Class Sports. See a lot of these and the next generation on the lots down here and even did a free test drive a few years back when the wife won a free detail at a local MB store. Took the detail for the Civic and did a test drive while waiting. I was in lust back then but German makes weren't really on the radar back then. And again, after driving that 328i a few months back at work, loved it so much knew that eventually, I'd be going down this road. At this stage in my life, the Golf just checks all my boxes especially the mileage one since my commute is 59 miles round trip the 3 days /week I do work. Once I retire again in like another 4 years, can see myself getting a C Class or a 328i just to putt around in to do my errands. Definitely want all the lux goodies going forward plus the fun ride something the German brands seem to have in spades.
    Don't get me wrong, really like the Japanese/Korean vehicles I've been driving lately but just something about an Audi, BMW or MB that puts that big [non-permissible content removed] grin on my face and don't mind paying for it in a CPO unit eventually. Have nixed the idea of trading the 2015 for a 2016 model as it really makes zero sense and even with the dealer cash right now, don't think it's possible to swing it for less than $4.5K. Better to keep the cash, wait another few years until I decide to stay home full time and get my 4 door lux vehicle. If I could do the Golf swap for around $2.5K all in, might seriously consider it but from looking at the available inventory, not enough SE's on the ground yet and am taking this as a signal from above that I need to stay the course.
    Though, it would be fun to get a 2016 and start with 5 or so miles on the clock!!!

The Sandman :)B)

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

Have gotten a few new Renegade's in the fleet lately and really anxious to try one for a leisurely trip. The size seems just about right and after having driven a few Jeep Cherokee's this week, like how they drive plus the interior ain't too bad. Like the smaller Renegade size also though that maybe an optical illusion to me. We end up going over to the nearby Jeep/Chrysler/Dodge dealer whenever I do work to pick up our rentals so I know it's just a matter of time. Seems like our business is picking up there and at the nearby Lexus store since we lost BMW to Sixt but since they are both closer to us, all is good. We even have a few Lexus rides in the fleet that we end up with every so often. Did like the IS250 much better than the 200CT though the IS and ES are very similar. That SLK I had to return to MIA was one of our "Dream Car" rentals but those don't come into our shop that often.
    Luckily, my lead driver knows I really love cars so when something really nice comes in, he seems to make sure I get it to take where ever...he knows that I am eternally grateful for this to. I am usually the first to volunteer at work and think he does appreciate this as some of the others [non-permissible content removed] about some of the work. Not me, all I need to know is where am I going and off I drive!

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

Uber has finally, finally come into the Ft. Lauderdale/West Palm Beach area and am almost done with the registration. Figure since I'm only going in 3 days a week, might as well do something some of those other days. And the flexibility with Uber seems to be a perfect fit. Another driver does it in Miami and says he does pretty well. One driver hardly comes in anymore since he does Uber and another company called Red Cap, where you drive the owners vehicle. Like the idea of getting paid by the mile and for tolls and such where no cash changes hand and one can work as much, or as little, as they want. Since I'm not getting the amount of hours I'd like, this might be the alternative to what I want...a bigger weekly paycheck. Not touching the retirement accounts plus renovating the house a bit makes this something worthwhile at this time. Would prefer more hours at Hertz truthfully, but this ain't happening yet so onto Plan B! Looking to start the second week of December, after our boy and his lady come pay us a visit.

• xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,756
    edited November 2015
    I am not sure what effect this may have, if any, on you, but keep in mind that you may need to consider the toll of commercial use of your vehicle. In some states, you have to register your vehicle as "for hire" as well as carry commercial (taxi) insurance coverage.

So, more wear and tear along with higher operating costs (potentially).
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    xwesx said:

I am not sure what effect this may have, if any, on you, but keep in mind that you may need to consider the toll of commercial use of your vehicle. In some states, you have to register your vehicle as "for hire" as well as carry commercial (taxi) insurance coverage.

I concur. Check with your insurance. Some are offering coverage for Uber/Lyft drivers for an additional charge. Some will cancel you if you do Uber/Lyft. Uber/Lyft insurance doesn't cover you when to go to pickup the fare, only once they are in your car. Also track those miles so you can deduct them. If you don't itemize, you can't deduct them. Lastly, put 13.5% aside to pay the social security tax on those earnings.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,182
    robr2 said:

xwesx said:

I concur. Check with your insurance. Some are offering coverage for Uber/Lyft drivers for an additional charge. Some will cancel you if you do Uber/Lyft. Uber/Lyft insurance doesn't cover you when to go to pickup the fare, only once they are in your car. Also track those miles so you can deduct them. If you don't itemize, you can't deduct them. Lastly, put 13.5% aside to pay the social security tax on those earnings.
    Good point... my updated policy from State Farm pretty much rules out any coverage, while using the car for transporting passengers for hire.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

320i --Not BMWs finest hour and perhaps the most unloved BMW ever. It would have to be dirt cheap, in the $2500 range. Rather dull to drive but sturdy enough. Weaknesses include air leaks in the EFI system and heater core leaks.

Given the competition in the '77-'83 time frame, the 320i was a great car, though typically over-priced.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373
    Doing my Costco shopping while getting the new shoes on the Pilot.  As I'm dropping it off, I see a sign that says $70 instant rebate on any set of 4 Bridgestone or Michelin tires (11/20 - 11/30).  I bought my tires on 11/17 (Costco.com).  Walked up to the customer service desk.  Asked politely if I qualify for the rebate.  Sure sir.  No problem.  I love this store.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

nyccarguy said:

Doing my Costco shopping while getting the new shoes on the Pilot.  As I'm dropping it off, I see a sign that says $70 instant rebate on any set of 4 Bridgestone or Michelin tires (11/20 - 11/30).  I bought my tires on 11/17 (Costco.com).  Walked up to the customer service desk.  Asked politely if I qualify for the rebate.  Sure sir.  No problem.  I love this store.

We put new Bridgestones on the X3 at Costco, on Saturday..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,254
    nyccarguy said:
    I agree with you Bradd, but I can never find a parking space at my local Costco.  And when I need gas, I try to get there before 9:00 AM or I have a 20 minute wait at the pumps.

If I get lucky and find a spot, the place is so crowded I end up waiting 20 minutes to check out.  This store is just too small and parking inadequate for the droves of people shopping at the Pompano Beach outlet.  There are other stores in South Florida, but if I have to buy frozen or refrigerated food, by the time I get home, the food is warm.

They need to move the store to a much larger location.  Too bad, I love Costco but I can't get in the store between 10:00 AM and 3:00 PM. :disappointed: 

2021 Genesis G90

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited November 2015
    Executive members can call Costco for a code that takes $60 off the tire installation in addition to the current $70 coupon for four Bridgestone or Michelin tires.

$49 jump starter at Amazon today only. $150 off. Sort of iffy reviews. (link)
    edited November 2015
    That's damning it with faint praise, sounds like. I thought it was the height of BWM corporate cynicism--"let's see how much the yuppies would pay for the BMW name". The 320i is BMW's Cimmaron IMO. I swear, I only beat up on 3 BMW models from their entire history---the 320i, the Bavaria and the late 90s BMW 7 series. The rest I adore. Okay, okay, maybe not so much the 528e, but I'm working with that one and the Flying Shoe. :)
    kyfdx said:

Given the competition in the '77-'83 time frame, the 320i was a great car, though typically over-priced.
    Will definitely check into that. Still not 100% sold on doing this but this gives me something to really think about!

• berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    edited November 2015
    Pretty sure auto insurance will not cover you when you are driving Uber or any other "for money" situation unless you specifically insure for that.

Costco is like Amazon, good customer service. That's why I don't think Sam's can compete head to head.
  • corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,236
    I've never been blown away by Amazon's customer service. Costco? Part of customer service is trying to prevent your customers from acting feral in the aisles, and having short check out lines. They fail on both counts.
    @Mr_Shiftright Well, I disagree about the 320i.

But, I'll give you the Bavaria and every "e" engine in the mid-80s!

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    Sandy...from a customer perspective, I love me some Uber. I was in Austin, TX for buinsess last week. Couldn't get an Uber driver to the place I was staying one day since it was so far out. Cabbed it. Cabbie was 2X the cost of Uber, and part of that was because he got lost taking me to the convention center. How on earth do you not know how to get to one of the largest buildings in your city and be a taxi driver? Befuddles me.

Uber, on the other hand, friendly and interesting drivers to talk to. No money changes hands. No tips. Better service. Cheaper. What's not to like?

Every Uber driver I talk to, loves doing it. As you mention, they work the hours they want, whenever they want, and as much or as little as they feel.

Go to any taxi stand at any major city and mention you're just waiting for your Uber ride and be ready for a verbal onslaught of how un-American you are, in addition to being cursed into the firey depths for your choice.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • houdini1houdini1 Member Posts: 8,327
    edited November 2015
    corvette said:

I've never been blown away by Amazon's customer service. Costco? Part of customer service is trying to prevent your customers from acting feral in the aisles, and having short check out lines. They fail on both counts.

Wow, that has never been my experience at Costco or with Amazon. What city are you in?

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

Ah, what can I say other than that I drove a 320i across country when it was 4-5 years old, and was mightily unimpressed. It did make it, though, so that's something. Like any other sub-par offering from a car company, you can add mods and aftermarket stuff to make a decent car out of it.

Very often when I hear "no, no, it was a good car, and I drove one for XXXX thousand miles" I'm apt to inquire about how they dealt with the known issues of that model, and invariably many owners have already corrrected, (at their own expense), many of the factory faults.
    kyfdx said:

Well, brads 320i (ok his friends) is 30?years old. So probably has all the bugs worked out by now!

Bradd should post a link to that ad. N

edited November 2015
    I see pretty nice ones in the SF Bay Area for $2500--$4000 asking prices, and running ones for as little as $1000--but cosmetically challenged. The earlier 2002 model, for a nice one, seems to run about $8500.
  • slorenzenslorenzen Member Posts: 694

I see pretty nice ones in the SF Bay Area for $2500--$4000 asking prices, and running ones for as little as $1000--but cosmetically challenged. The earlier 2002 model, for a nice one, seems to run about $8500.

Yes.

Please give me a '73 2002tii for Christmas.

edited November 2015
    Oh well, a Tii is gonna cost you. That's a nice car. But alas, at least $30K on up for good ones.
  • corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,236
    houdini1 said:
    Wow, that has never been my experience at Costco or with Amazon. What city are you in?
    Louisville. They are opening a second Costco soon, which may alleviate the crowdedness of the one we have now. 
    LOL, kinda reminds me of Yogi Berra talking about restaurants. He said something like, " Nobody goes to that restaurant any more because it is too crowded".

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,092
    Costco is a cool place, but people seem to become even more oblivious than usual once they get ahold of one of of those giant carts. Just blindly stumble around. And the parking lots in the Seattle area, wow.
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,756
    Same thoughts on Costco. I love it, but I hate it. I think that the only reason I bother going there is because we shopped there the whole time I was growing up. The location in Richland, Washington, has been there a long, long time, back when Costco membership was restricted to government employees, if I recall correctly. I remember the building was very nondescript from the outside and COMPLETELY no-frills inside.

We went once a month, and my dad tended to spend upwards of $1,000 each time (this was in the '80s, remember). I'll never forget the dual checker process, with one guy struggling mightily to get everything back on a single flatbed like we had it as he called out the endless string of six-digit numbers to the keyer, who was lighting that key pad on fire!

611614.... 611614. 848201.... 848201.

Nowadays, though, I will only go if I can get there within fifteen minutes of opening. I get in and get out as quick as I can. Usually, if I don't take too long to get my things, I can hit the checkout stands within an hour of opening and don't have to wait more than one or two sales ahead. The total lack of CC support (aside from Amex) is a big turn-off for me.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,092
    I'm a Costco within-15-minutes-of-opening shopper too. And I always park so I can get out quickly. That reminds me, I'll need to go there within a couple weeks. Fun time of year for it.
    Maybe going to Costco early is the key. Being retired we always go early on weekdays and never on weekends.

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

kyfdx said:

My Bavaria wasn't a bad car; the major bugaboo was rust- but that was true for almost any car built in the '70s. The M30 engine was tough as nails- and so was the rest of the drivetrain. The A/C was marginal, again par for the course with imported cars in the'70s.Some E3s got a bad rap about driveability or cooling issues, but you cured that with judicious desmogging(eliminating the vacuum retard on the distributor and fitting a later viscous clutch 9 blade fan worked wonders).
    The eta engines simply weren't what BMW owners expected or wanted- a low revving motor with a bit more low end torque paled in comparison to a 3.5 liter M30. That said, the so-called "Super eta" from the 1988 model year is actually pretty decent.

The catalytics-in-manifold were a big problem on Bavarias, also a noisy car, and lots of body roll. Kind of an overstuffed Blivet of a car, if you ask me. Just a tarted up old 2800.
  • laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,684
    I'll be filling up at Costco this evening. I go Friday nights usually, gas, pizza, stock up for the weekend/week. Crowd's rarely a problem. But, weekends? Fuggedaboutit!

Happy Thanksgiving to all!

I hope the Great Turkey (with all apologies to Linus VanPelt) leaves a shiny new Jag F-Type under the Thanksgiving cornucopia for me!!!

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    fintail said:

I'm a Costco within-15-minutes-of-opening shopper too. And I always park so I can get out quickly. That reminds me, I'll need to go there within a couple weeks. Fun time of year for it.

Aren't you a single guy? How many 12 packs of underwear can one person buy?

I go to BJ's here in the Boston area. I like going there on Saturday around noon. It's so much fun. :s

The catalytics-in-manifold were a big problem on Bavarias, also a noisy car, and lots of body roll. Kind of an overstuffed Blivet of a car, if you ask me. Just a tarted up old 2800.

Bavarias never had catalytic converters or thermal reactors- the reactors were introduced in 1975 on the 530i and 3.0Si. Body roll? You must not have driven one with the optional rear bar. As for the Bavaria being "a tarted-up 2800," actually the converse is true; the Bavaria was originally a 2500 with the 2800 engine. In 1972 the engine displacement was increased to 3 liters. The Bavaria was discontinued after 1974, with BMW NA choosing to offer the 3.0Si(a fully optioned E3 with Bosch D-Jet FI) and the E12 530i from 1975 on.

The wife and I belong to BJs. We have one local to us, so easy to pop in. Never actually been in a Costco (nearest one is about 30 minutes away). I got tires once at BJs but would not again. Milk and cheddar cheese, that they do well!

no clue if we really get our money's worth out of it, but the wife likes it.

I don't think so. The Bavaria was essentially a 2800 without the leather upholstery, power equipment, and Nivomat self-leveling suspension. It was Hoffman's "creation" in order to produce a more affordable car for the USA market. The "Bavaria" name was dropped in 1975 but the car lived on as the 3.0Si--that's the one with the thermal reactors--same car really. As for handling, a number of contemporary auto mags mention it, (or lack of it) so I think I remember that part okay at least. If the sway bar was optional, well, then, the car must have needed one.

It's not the first German car I have a somewhat irrational dislike for--the 450SL Mercedes is another one I sneer at regularly.
    stickguy said:
    The wife and I belong to BJs. We have one local to us, so easy to pop in. Never actually been in a Costco (nearest one is about 30 minutes away). I got tires once at BJs but would not again. Milk and cheddar cheese, that they do well! no clue if we really get our money's worth out of it, but the wife likes it.
    BJs here too.  I think we generally get our money's worth especially with two little ones.  Some stuff really is cheaper and conveniently packed.  It also helps the closest one is 5 Minutes away.  

If Costco was closer would try it out.  My wish is for a Wegmans in Deptford.... the wife and I would be in shopping heaven. 

oh, if Wemans did not mean a trip to Cherry hill and that mess of a center they put up on the old racetrack, we would go. Love their meat department. And the deli makes great sandwiches.

As for handling, a number of contemporary auto mags mention it, (or lack of it) so I think I remember that part okay at least.

We must not have the same reading list.

BMW's power steering is light and quick but disappointingly lacking in feel. ...Otherwise the car's handling is exemplary.
    BMW 2500 Road Test, Road & Track May 1969

Handling is best described as typically BMW, only better.
    BMW 2500 Road Test, Autocar May 28, 1969

...if your existence is made joyful by precision devices and you wish to drive every inch of your journeys, than the BMW 2500 is the answer.
    Pat Bedard, Car and Driver June 1969

In on-the-road handling the Bavaria is delightful, though with 175-14 tires it doesn't have bundles of cornering power.
    BMW Bavaria Road Test, Road and Track August 1971

Once accustomed to the steering-some drivers didn't like it at first-the car feels quite sporting and agile for a large saloon. Even with only a single anti-roll bar at the front the car corners hard with little body roll.
    BMW 3.0S Road Test, Motor March 25, 1972

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,889
    More car shopping this evening. Took a trip to see a red 2008 LR2 with 72k miles. It was OK. I wasn't excited about it. Fit and finish was just so-so and there was quite a bit more road noise than I expected. Wife liked it though so I tried to buy it for her. They are apparently way too far buried in it though. GM or owner came out at the end because his son was our salesman. He was really not pleased with my knowledge because, he claims, he has over $12k in the car. I told him I feel sorry for him I can't take on the financial responsibility of his mistake. My final offer was $10.5k and his was $11.8k. 

Then we called that autoexotica place again and told them we were coming back to talk about the H3. That wound up being real quick because they apparently won't come off their internet price, even despite the fact that I showed him there is one a year newer with a few less miles for $2k below their internet price. Salesman indicated his hands are tied and it is what it is. Not even a discussion with his boss was to be had. Huh. Good luck with that business model I guess.

moving on.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

what about the blue one out by the water gap? that was a lot cheaper and lower miles than the red one you saw. Just too far away?

Hey, go Friday. Better than fighting the crowds at the mall!