Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Blinded by the Light - 2015 Hyundai Sonata Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited November 2015 in Hyundai
imageBlinded by the Light - 2015 Hyundai Sonata Long-Term Road Test

An accent light in our 2015 Hyundai Sonata is far too bright.

Read the full story here

Comments

• bankerdannybankerdanny Member Posts: 1,021
    OK, an always on overhead cup holder illumination spotlight is a pretty silly "feature".
  • agentorangeagentorange Member Posts: 893
    I don't know if it due to the exposure used, but the instrument illumination is way higher than I would ever want, too. As for that spotlight stage right, that would have to go, no question.
  • 5vzfe5vzfe Member Posts: 161
    That would probably buy me too, I don't like unwanted lights on in the car at night. Just having the cruise light in the dash makes me want to turn the system off.
  • banhughbanhugh Member Posts: 315
    The 2008 Honda Accord EX and above had a similar blue light that was not intrusive or even noticeable. Perhaps a case of copy paste gone wrong as they tried to give the light more power to make it better...
  • veedubber86veedubber86 Member Posts: 57
    This is a pretty common feature these days. My VW had them, but they were recessed so there was no problem with the glare bothering the driver. Just a nice red ambient light on the cupholder and shifter.
  • longtimelurkerlongtimelurker Member Posts: 455

This is a pretty common feature these days. My VW had them, but they were recessed so there was no problem with the glare bothering the driver. Just a nice red ambient light on the cupholder and shifter.

Same. You didn't even notice it until you looked down at the console.
  • csubowtiecsubowtie Member Posts: 143
    Red is also better for not ruining your night vision. IIRC, blue is the worst (or maybe second worst behind white) color in this regards.
  • misterfusionmisterfusion Member Posts: 471
    My Saturn Aura had amber LED accent lighting. It was non-intrusive yet quite useful. As the others have noted, I think the color has everything to do with how well this feature works.
  • sonataqueensonataqueen Member Posts: 1
    I covered mine with a colored post it. Keeps the car dark, doesn't aggravate my eyes. I couldn't take it anymore!
  • desmoliciousdesmolicious Member Posts: 671
    Thanks for nuthin' Magrath, that song is now stuck in my head..
  • saxdoggsaxdogg Member Posts: 38
    My Ram truck has the blue light and I find it an awesome feature. It is recessed to the point that you can't even find the light source unless you wave your hand around.
  • chol92594chol92594 Member Posts: 208
    banhugh said:

The 2008 Honda Accord EX and above had a similar blue light that was not intrusive or even noticeable. Perhaps a case of copy paste gone wrong as they tried to give the light more power to make it better...

My 2009 Civic has the same thing. It's decently bright but it's recessed and placed in such a way that you don't really notice it unless you look up at it. Plus, it dims with the instrument panel brightness, so it won't stand out and be as distracting.

Yeah I think the recession makes a big difference. That thing looks like a mini map light compared to most overhead ambient lights I've seen. VW and BMW do a good job at it and aim the light right where you'd want it. The darker colors probably help too. I just recently discovered that my friend's 2013 C-Class has an ambient light on the underside of the mirror. That way, it provides plenty of light, but sits low enough that it won't distract the driver.
  • wheelmccoywheelmccoy Member Posts: 97
    banhugh said:

Ditto for my TSX Wagon. There's a blue light, and neither my wife nor I found it intrusive.
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,433
    I have had that on quite a few cars. And looks like my Sonata has it. Which I probably knew, and occasionally have found useful at night if I needed to see someone in the console. But I have never in the year that I have owned the car been bothered by it (or even noticed it being on really, which I guess would be the definition of being bothered!)

Of course, next time I drive at night I am sure I will be hyper aware of it. So if I suddenly become obsessed by it, it will be on you buddy!

I agree with the other poster that you seem to have the dash on full blast. That is adjustable. I wonder if the overhead light is somehow controlled by that too? Something else to explore!

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• schen72schen72 Member Posts: 433

banhugh said:

Ditto for my TSX Wagon. There's a blue light, and neither my wife nor I found it intrusive.
    Both my 2006 RL and 2008 RDX have recessed ambient lights that are not distracting at all. The RL has additional recessed lights between the rear occupants, in the front footwells, and in the interior door latch cavity. I think it's all done very tastefully.
  • boffboff Member Posts: 91

Thanks for nuthin' Magrath, that song is now stuck in my head..

Ditto. "wrecked up like a [non-permissible content removed] another roller in the night". That's the lyric, right?
  • boffboff Member Posts: 91
    Lol rhymes with "swoosh".
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I thought it was "deuce". As in a hot rod.
  • marmotkingmarmotking Member Posts: 42
    Make a tiny snoot (or half top hat) out of cardstock or a snippet of tubing, affix with velcro or tape, et voilà! a recessed light!
  • wheelmccoywheelmccoy Member Posts: 97

Make a tiny snoot (or half top hat) out of cardstock or a snippet of tubing, affix with velcro or tape, et voilà! a recessed light!

Or a Borg implant. :)
  • dfrissdfriss Member Posts: 23
    I think that this is now the most editorially commented on feature of the car! Wow. FWIW I think it is meant to be a map light and it is one of those things that you don't usually notice until you do notice it.... Then you can't un-notice it.

I like the snoot idea..Now to find a place with black soda straws.
  • agentorangeagentorange Member Posts: 893
    dfriss said:

I like the snoot idea..Now to find a place with black soda straws.

Smart & Final FTW. :-)

• Mike_MagrathMike_Magrath Member Posts: 23
    stickguy said:

I have had that on quite a few cars. And looks like my Sonata has it. Which I probably knew, and occasionally have found useful at night if I needed to see someone in the console. But I have never in the year that I have owned the car been bothered by it (or even noticed it being on really, which I guess would be the definition of being bothered!)

Of course, next time I drive at night I am sure I will be hyper aware of it. So if I suddenly become obsessed by it, it will be on you buddy!

I agree with the other poster that you seem to have the dash on full blast. That is adjustable. I wonder if the overhead light is somehow controlled by that too? Something else to explore!

Stickguy: Hope I didn't ruin your car. The dash is on full for two reasons: 1) I like those dials to be bright. 2) I was fiddling with the brightness to see if it changed the overhead light at all. It does not.

The light might not bother you due solely to height/seating position. I sit more upright than a lot of people which could put me right in the bright zone.
    -mm
  • thecardoc3thecardoc3 Member Posts: 5,741
    Mike. What does Hyundai call that lamp in the owners manual? Exactly where is it in the overhead console? Do you have a daytime pic of its location? I wanted to look up the circuit that it is in with the O.E schematic but can't seem to identify exactly what it is.
  • dfrissdfriss Member Posts: 23
    You can tell that the new cars came in.. hate to leave the sonata commentary on this thread..

Another alternative I found to the light problem is to grow an inch. Most easily done by using the power seat controls or by being a teenager. Works like a charm.
  • allthingshondaallthingshonda Member Posts: 878
    So was the Sonata totaled in an accident or suffer some serious engine or transmission failure for the post not to be updated in months?
  • BigglesmusicBigglesmusic Member Posts: 1
    Have just purchased a Sonata SE 2015 ...Tve vehicle has only travelled 4500 kilometers...BUT...The motor seems a little noisey,kinda like a diesel.!!...Is this normal.??