Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Top 10 Sedans for Tall Drivers for 2014 | Edmunds.com

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited November 2015 in General
Top 10 Sedans for Tall Drivers for 2014 | Edmunds.com

Tall drivers can have a hard time finding vehicles roomy enough to provide comfortable transportation. These 10 picks offer the most front passenger space.

Read the full story here

Comments

• clay24clay24 Member Posts: 1

Are there no tall Europeans? At 6'4" and a 36" inseam, I wish there were better choices.

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited July 2014

Best buy a Scandinavian car - Norwegians and Dutch are the tallest men in the world. The Dutch seem to like the Mitsubishi Outlander. The Renault Clio leads in sedans, but it's a subcompact, and probably leads because of its mpg and low cost. Closest platform relation for the US would be the Nissan Cube.

• ladylynnealadylynnea Member Posts: 1
    We will never buy another Impala. My husband is 6'4" and while there is plenty of leg and head room, the seats and head rest tilts forward at an awkward angle making the seating uncomfortable, especially on long drives. Plus we have had the throttle body switch replaced 3 times-- first time by the dealer, twice on our own. Never again. We are looking for a better car next time.
  • andre1969andre1969 Member Posts: 25,686
    I'm 6'3", and have to take issue with the Ford Fusion. I don't know where they get the interior numbers from, but IMO there's definitely some creative license going on there. With front seat legroom, most cars fall somewhere between 41-43", so you'd think that with 44.3", the Fusion would feel huge. Not so, at least in my case. It just felt like your typical small-ish midsized car...something that would make me go for the next step up in size.

The 2014+ Impala is rated at something like 45.9", which also may be a bit optimistic. But, it's also the first car I've driven in a long time where I didn't have to put the seat back as far as it would go.

I wonder if the reviewers actually put a tall driver in these cars, or simply went by the published specs. Some cars might have generous headroom but inadequate legroom, or vice versa. So if you have a long torso and short legs, or a short torso and long legs, there can be a world of difference in how the car fits you. In my case, I have long legs and an average torso, so legroom is usually my biggest concern. Some of these cars also might have doors and windows that curve inward sharply, forcing a tall driver to lean inward.

I also find it interesting that the VW Passat didn't make this list. I haven't been inside the latest version, but I heard they were supposed to be pretty roomy...built with the U.S. market in mind. And IIRC, it took some flack for that.
  • texasestexases Member Posts: 10,708
    edited March 2015
    It looks like it's based only on specs, no test involved. I'd have done it differently, drop the hip room, specify minimum required head and legroom, say 40" and 44", and list those cars that have BOTH. But it really comes down to sitting in the car. That's why I go to the car shows, see what fits. Lots don't. xB? Yes. Suburban with a sunroof? Nope!
  • berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    I'm finding auto shows less and less useful. You can look at the vehicles, but few are hooked up to power, so you really can't judge much about fit and comfort since most now have power seats. On top of that, some idiot often seems to jam front seats to make the back seat area larger.
  • jacob26jacob26 Member Posts: 1
    I think the Honda accord is the best option being 6foot4 myself I have owned the 2011 and 2014 models and have had no issues whatsoever with either one
  • seadog1000seadog1000 Member Posts: 2
    I'm 6'5", and can say that VW Tiguan fits me well, even as Nissan Altima. Sunroof is forbidden for me. In my opinion cars are getting smaller inside, I can point VW Passat, Nissan Altima (2014 smaller than 2013), Honda Accord...My next car will probably be a Nissan Pathfinder, if a test drive confirm the interior room informed by Nissan.
  • kpekuskpekus Member Posts: 1
    edited July 2015
    I hear all the talk about cutting-edge technology and other amenities for convenience, but there seems to be little talk about what really matters the most. Yes, we have made great strides in safety and reliability, but what about comfort.

I just have one question for car manufacturers. What crime would you guys be committing if you made 48" of legroom and 48" of headroom for both the front and rear of your vehicles the minimum for all your models, from sub-compact to your full-size SUV? Why should the occupants of any modern day vehicle be struggling to find sufficient leg- and headroom?
    kpekus said:

I just have one question for car manufacturers. What crime would you guys be committing if you made 48" of legroom and 48" of headroom for both the front and rear of your vehicles the minimum for all your models, from sub-compact to your full-size SUV? Why should the occupants of any modern day vehicle be struggling to find sufficient leg- and headroom?

If you designed something with 48" of legroom and headroom for both front and rear seat passengers, you would end up with an incredibly awkward looking vehicle that few people would buy. Most vehicles built today, no matter how big or how small, usually have front seat legroom of around 41-43". The back seat has a much wider variance, but here it's probably around 25" at the minimum, maybe 42" at the most. Similarly, headroom probably tops out at around 41-42" in the most generous of vehicles.

Designing something that had all those measurements at 48" would definitely be for a niche market. Throughout history, most vehicles have been designed to perfectly fit an "average build" male about 5'10-5'11" tall. As a result, if you fall outside of that target, you get a diminishing return on comfort. If you designed something for really tall, long-legged occupants, it's going to diminish the comfort and usefulness for more "average" height drivers.

Also, be wary of those published headroom/legroom numbers. I'm convinced they're occasionally fudged. Also, legroom is a combination of how far back the seat goes, and how high up it is. So one car with 42.5" of legroom could feel totally different from another car with 42.5".

Two cars come to mind - the unpopular Scion xB and the popular Honda Fit. It often comes down to practicality vs. styling, most folks vote with their wallets for styling.
    Personally, at 6'3", with a 35" inseam, and about 205 lb, I find the xB and Fit to be pretty useless. The seating position is kind of tall, with good headroom, if you lean in a bit, but the seats don't go back far enough for my comfort. It's like driving an old 40's car, or an old van or pickup where you sit fairly upright, with no room to really stretch out.

The xB is really good in the back seat with regards to legroom, though. The Fit, more average. It's been ages since I've been in an xB, but I don't remember having too much issue with the side curvature. However, I found it really bad in the Fit.

One of the roomiest cars in recent memory that I've sat in, with regards to front seat legroom at least, is the current Impala/XTS. One of the few cars I can think of where I don't have to put the seat all the way back to get comfortable.
    edited July 2015
    I guess I'm the opposite, 6'5" but 33" inseam, so headroom is my #1 priority. As always, it comes down to personal fit, test drives, etc. But it's obvious that comfort and room for 4 aren't the top of the list for many (most?) people. How else can one explain the X6, the CLS, etc?
  • henrynhenryn Member Posts: 4,289
    texases said:

It looks like it's based only on specs, no test involved. I'd have done it differently, drop the hip room, specify minimum required head and legroom, say 40" and 44", and list those cars that have BOTH. But it really comes down to sitting in the car. That's why I go to the car shows, see what fits. Lots don't. xB? Yes. Suburban with a sunroof? Nope!

It's amazing how much headroom is stolen by a sunroof. And more and more cars are going to sunroofs on all of the upscale models. Honda for one.

2023 Chevrolet Silverado, 2019 Chrysler Pacifica
    I guess I just don't get sunroofs. Most of them give you this small patch of sky in exchange for not only a big loss in headroom, but noise and rain leaks down the road. I say, if you want the sky - go all the way with a convertible.
    One more thing - it's like tying two 50 pound weights to the roof. Just the wrong thing for handling.
  • cravanahcravanah Member Posts: 1
    i'm almost 16, got my learners permit, and really wish i didn't have to worry about space.. but i'm 6'9" and still growing.. am i screwed, or can i do something besides amputate my legs in order to find a car that fits me?
  • brianmanbrianman Member Posts: 1
    6'9" = problem. If the seat goes far enough back and the dash is designed with some sense there are a few models. But be prepared to pay. Rented Dodge Charger, and that is a great car for room in front but because seat goes so far back. Like I said, be prepared to pay.
    Probably going to need a truck, but even some of those monsters can be tight on legroom.
    I don't fit in most anything with a sunroof, so avoid them. Try a base Accord, put the seat all the way down and back. I rented a base Sonata recently, had LOTS of headroom.
  • smuhlbaiersmuhlbaier Member Posts: 5
    The most legroom BY FAR is the Infiniti M35. They lost it all with the M37 and into the Q line...but the original 35 has a gimballing steering column and fits my nearly 7' leg room with ease.

The only problem is that the M35 is at least 8 years old...so good luck finding one with low miles...
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Oddly enough, the interior proportions of the Mini Cooper are more than adequate for any 6+--foot person. I'd say even some NBA players could get in there no problem. And the roof line is high enough so that those of us with long torsos don't get a concussion getting in and out.

Downside? A choppy ride. Not a great long-distance car, but near-perfect for metro commutes.
    edited May 2018
    The Mini is great, another small car I like is the Fit. Plenty of headroom for me. Both of the xB models were good, too (no surprise), as is the Forester.

I can vouch for the huge amount of headroom in the Impala, just rented one. But a show-stopper for me is the metal trim that goes low across the dash - LOTS of bothersome reflections.